12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Post-Super Bowl Storm chance discussion

rossi

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As you can see, the mix line gets VERY CLOSE. Maybe it never makes it to the city but it's not far away.

I_nw_g1_EST_2015013012_074.png

I_nw_g1_EST_2015013012_076.png

This should be a sign for you. When you see a warm bias model keep the 0 line into Monmouth county with confluence and a block with such and a cold air mass with high rates your mind should immediately say ok any heavy rate will easily win out even if you see a mid level bump. As it is this is likely to correct to an even more CAD signature.

There is an incredible amount of thermal packing with this setup, so with the high to the north and the storm pushing in, you're going to get even more mid-level frontogenesis than normal. Frontogenesis could honestly be through the roof, so I'm not surprised the GGEM is spitting out such high precip amounts.

I posted the precip reflectivity for the nam in my earlier post.. Snow to rain back to snow for all of LI

I looked at soundings and there is nothing in them to support the colors on that pretty map.  In the NAM scenario, the north shore is all snow.  South shore is close too for that matter.  Try looking at soundings and show me where there is an above freezing layer in that run.  There might be, because I haven't bee able to get my hands on a skuT for hour 75, but it doesn't look like it from the uppers I have seen.  Even 925 is around -10C, i.e., very cold.

This should be a sign for you. When you see a warm bias model keep the 0 line into Monmouth county with confluence and a block with such and a cold air mass with high rates your mind should immediately say ok any heavy rate will easily win out even if you see a mid level bump. As it is this is likely to correct to an even more CAD signature.

We are still 72hrs away from the event. This can/will change.

Monday's temperatures are in the lower to mid 20s and I'm on eastern long island...now unless I'm wrong,which I'm 99% confident I'm Not,lol that would be snow,unless upper levels were warm and it would be ice. But it's not so it should be all snow

You can't go by your current forecast temps. If the low track is close enough we are going to have an easterly component to the wind for a short period of time and that is going to warm the layers, and you will see the forecast temps be adjusted up accordingly

if these little north bumps don't stop we're a few model runs away from getting mostly rain

Exactly. The trend is clear. Need a model suite to stop it, but with the Ukie and RGEM(albeit at the end of its run) so far north Im not feeling particularly peachy for the city at least.  

Lets see what the Euro says in an hour. 

I was kinda hoping we would get this storm and the euro would be the only model to show it.. Lol.. So the king could regain his throne haha.. But this much concesnsus and trends towards a near perfect track and stronger storm for most is about as much as you can hope for after this weekend ;)

and yet, I'm still oddly unsettled about this - and not just because of the bust from Monday... something about the northern trend worries me for the immediate NYC area.. and we no longer will have the ratios... but perhaps more QPF to work with

There is an incredible amount of thermal packing with this setup, so with the high to the north and the storm pushing in, you're going to get even more mid-level frontogenesis than normal. Frontogenesis could honestly be through the roof, so I'm not surprised the GGEM is spitting out such high precip amounts.

Meteorologically speaking, I honestly think the GGEM makes the most sense. 

Look at the N shore of Nassau county that goes to my point. You guys don't understand the N shore of Long Island.

You think its some warm spot. The GGEM puts down 15 there. Long Island jets NE they benefit from latitude at times

Some of you don't get that.

The 0 line is south of them here.

Good example was last Valentines Day.  It never got above freezing here and we had ZR while the rest of the region had plain rain.  Admittedly that was flukeish and I never did figure out why, but I recall at the time the denial that it could even be possible from some mainlander posters in OC.

if these little north bumps don't stop we're a few model runs away from getting mostly rain

Never gonna happen, the pattern  just not support anything much north of this, and because the confluence from the departing clipper does not really lift out til after 48-54 hours, this would not move north til fairly late which means we'd get slammed on the front end anyway,

and yet, I'm still oddly unsettled about this - and not just because of the bust from Monday... something about the northern trend worries me for the immediate NYC area.. and we no longer will have the ratios... but perhaps more QPF to work with

I'm biased cause I'm about 50 miles north of NYC so I won't pretend that I don't want the trend to stay north... History shows that when I get my best snows in the LHV the city usually mixes at some point.. Unfortunately... Which is why the "blizzard" was so exciting cause we were all in on the big stuff, or so we thought ;)

Archived