• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Post-Super Bowl Storm chance discussion

rossi

Rather than trying to respond to quite a few individual posts about the energy over the Southwest, if the energy ejects faster and is able to phase with our Northern stream vort it would (A) slow down the pattern and ( B ) probably cause the system to initially cut to the West, hit the block and then redevelop. The only operational global model that I've seen do this so far is the JMA.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was gonna say, even with high ratios no one in here is at a foot on GFS 12z

The ratios would be typical here for this storm, maybe even a little less than normal. You need the 850mb low to stay further south if you want the higher ratios. But then you lose moisture and someone on the North side really gets the shaft.

The strongest lift should occur just north of the mix line, so if you want to take the NAM at face value it would be quite the hit for Northern NJ and the LHV.

If you want to take it literally, 12z NAM is a north shore LI jackpot.  Just a chance of a little sleet mix, but the soundings I've seen so far would be all snow.  I really want to see a skuT for hour 75, but it looks like a very sharp gradient with MBY on the snowy side of it and over 1.25" QPF.  The details will change of course.

Rather than trying to respond to quite a few individual posts about the energy over the Southwest, if the energy ejects faster and is able to phase with our Northern stream vort it would (A) slow down the pattern and ( B ) probably cause the system to initially cut to the West, hit the block and then redevelop. The only operational global model that I've seen do this so far is the JMA.

The system does not try to start moving more N until it reaches the MA region, this may be a response to the system trying to pump as it reaches the coast, I'm not sure I buy that idea or not.  I would feel pretty good right now as long as I was north of TTN.  Any movement north with this is likely going to be late and not occur far enough west to really do much for coastal areas north of there other than maybe have a period of sleet.

If you want to take it literally, 12z NAM is a north shore LI jackpot. Just a chance of a little sleet mix, but the soundings I've seen so far would be all snow. I really want to see a skuT for hour 75, but it looks like a very sharp gradient with MBY on the snowy side of it and over 1.25" QPF. The details will change of course.

The 12z nam is not anywhere near Long Island jackpot... It switches over to heavy rain for hours

The 12z nam is not anywhere near Long Island jackpot... It switches over to heavy rain for hours

I haven't seen the 12Z Nam to agree or disagree but I can tell you that I have seen it on more than a few occasions pour on the south shore of Long Island and snow like a bastard on the N Shore. There can be quite a difference from S to N. As both Bill and I are in almost the same location we speak from experience.

Archived