• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Bust of the Century January 26-27 2015 model suites and discussions

Morris

JOE CIOFFI: HOW IS THE EURO DOING SO FAR?

This is what the Euro forecasted for snow ending at 7pm this evening. Based on reports which include over 4 inches in NYC so far. Almost spot on! The NAM 18z snowfall ending 7pm also very close. The GFS? That dark blue is all less the 0.5 inches ending 7pm. Considering that New York City and Long Island already have 2 to 4 inches on the ground. Score 1 for the Euro and Nam..

0 GFS

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a problem with the HRRR for coastal cyclones. Remember radar reflectivity is integrated into its initial conditions, where it prescribes a latent heating profile that corresponds to the reflectivity. However when most of the precipitation is offshore, the HRRR can only see what the radar sees: the upper level portion of the of cloud producing precip. Thus it wouldn't be surprising if the HRRR is underestimating the latent heat release occurring with the ongoing precipitation offshore, ultimately resulting in a weaker more eastward cyclone. Some food for thought.

This is great information....and much appreciated.   File this away....dont use the HRRR for a Miller B

If you look at the 12Z runs and check precip shield valid at 12 hours it's not quite as good as the NAM but the GFS was too Far East, I would say it's a 75-25 NAM split.

this storm looks to be moving more slowly than the models showed... that should bode well for an earlier capture

I think TWC might be off the deep end......they forecast 9 - 11 for Staten Island, while Upton has me at 18 - 24.

Just as a side question, living in Staten Island, is it safer to use EWR or NYC, there have been times (like Saturday's storm) where we measure vastly different numbers (I think NYC registered 2.5ish while here in Staten Island an official measurement was 4.8 or 5)

If you look at the 12Z runs and check precip shield valid at 12 hours it's not quite as good as the NAM but the GFS was too Far East, I would say it's a 75-25 NAM split.

I agree with this. Also, the best frontogenetic forcing isn't progged to get here until after midnight. We have plenty of time.

I swear this storm is making me insane. I've never had so many highs and lows (relative) in 24 hours before.

The model disparity is ridiculous and disheartening. How can one camp end up being so wrong so close?

I am with you. What is making this setup so complex more than usual Miller Bs? Do Miller As usually invite more model convergance than Miller Bs?

Archived