• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Bust of the Century January 26-27 2015 model suites and discussions

Morris

How are the short range models looking? Like the HRRR etc?

Not quite in the time range yet, but its showing a nice band of precip over PA, similar to the global and mesoscale guidance. 

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/ppapin/hrrr.php#flt

KUNV.gif

P.S.... I'm probably going to shift my grid soon in anticipation for the upcoming event. Should I move it over KJFK? Also will be adding some new products hopefully (e.g. frontogenesis) if I can get this working tonight!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That easterly jet is why I'm convinced a number of people will see more than 30". That's going to set up some incredible snow banding where it'll snow 4"+ per hour easy. That's a direct fetch from the Atlantic being lifted by the explosive cyclogenesis.

That's exactly what this storm will be remembered for. Similar to February 13 but further west. I really believe someone in this sub forum cracks 40". If that's in the city!!!!!!!!!!

Define "analysis"  :axe:

Btw, if one wants to see for their own eyes, the SREF's are available here: http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/model-guidance-model-parameter.php?group=Model%20Guidance&model=SREF&area=NAMER&ps=area

And the plumes here: http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sref/fplumes/index2.php?YMD=20150125&RT=15&PRM=Total-SNO&SID=LGA&INC=ALL&NNC=&max=&min=&mZOOM=9&mLAT=40.567809858963095&mLON=-73.70683348999023&mTYP=roadmap

You can change the plume to your location by clicking on the map. You also have to change to the most recent run at the top of the screen. 21z is just coming out.

For PNE the mean is 1.19 total QPF, PHL is .97 QPF mean.

I've been talking about it all day, and JB as well as JC and a few others believe many will see 20:1/30:1 ratios overnight Monday into Tuesday.. Even someone at 1.0qpf could end up at 18-20"

billgwx explained the reasoning, strong winds tend to break the crystals up into smaller pieces thereby reducing the ratios.

I've been talking about it all day, and JB as well as JC and a few others believe many will see 20:1/30:1 ratios overnight Monday into Tuesday.. Even someone at 1.0qpf could end up at 18-20"

Ratios will likely be higher inland where the winds will be lighter. The wind cuts down on ratios-it should be 12:1 or so near the coast. The 20 and 30:1 stuff is really only for LES. 

It looks like it might have moved about 25 miles east with the cutoff in NJ

SREF plumes have 17.8 in mean for EWR.  Slight cutback from the barn-burner mean earlier this morning.  But it's all relative at this point honestly.

We just need that moisture feed off the Atlantic and the gradient to do it's dirty work by us.

Ratios will likely be higher inland where the winds will be lighter. The wind cuts down on ratios-it should be 12:1 or so near the coast. The 20 and 30:1 stuff is really only for LES. 

There's really going to be two tough zones.  There's going to be a sharp cutoff west somewhere.  My guess is probably Ern. PA where you see precipitous dropoffs from even high ratios saving you.

But somebody in parts of LI and even up into CT and MA, there will be some subsidence specials where you get half of what you were expecting or what somebody in the next couple towns over gets with a killer band and probably and somebody else on Tuesday morning with pretty crummy snow growth and light snow for a few hours.  

As stated you likely won't see ratios over the city and Island over 12:1. And let's be honest if the winds forecasted prove out its going to be very difficult to find a spot to accurately measure the snowfall. I'm supposed to fly into LGA Tuesday at noon which is likely not happening lol. And I also feel as some others do that 24" May likey be a top measurement out on the island in the usual areas.

As stated you likely won't see ratios over the city and Island over 12:1. And let's be honest if the winds forecasted prove out its going to be very difficult to find a spot to accurately measure the snowfall. I'm supposed to fly into LGA Tuesday at noon which is likely not happening lol. And I also feel as some others do that 24" May likey be a top measurement out on the island in the usual areas.

Even with 850s that cold?

Archived