joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/27 Winter Storm - Round 3 - Discussion Thread

Heisy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wind hurts ratios, breaks up the flakes. Stick with 12:1 for your max. It can be as low as 10:1, that's what I saw in Ewing during Boxing Day.

Yeah I figured that with wind, however the TTN and philly area are going to have less wind than NYC and points northeast. So hopefully that can help us a bit on the ratios. I'm gonna be hoping for around 13-1.

Yeah I figured that with wind, however the TTN and philly area are going to have less wind than NYC and points northeast. So hopefully that can help us a bit on the ratios. I'm gonna be hoping for around 13-1.

what you are also have to realize is that ratio's are not consistent throughout the whole storm, so during a certain period you  may get 15-1 but during other times ,10-1

From Eurowx.com's data output, not the map. I don't know anything about wxbell, Maybe that's why wxbell's snowfall maps are so high.

The maps are identical, at least for E.PA.

I'm not super knowing about the SREFS, But mean total snowfall is 15.0" for ABE.

So SREFS doubled the mean from its last run.. How would that signify it moved east?

Sent from my iPhone

The maps are identical, at least for E.PA.

I'm not super knowing about the SREFS, But mean total snowfall is 15.0" for ABE.

Sent from my iPhone

15Z just came out and its much less.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/sref/fplumes/index.php?YMD=20150125&RT=15&PRM=Total-SNO&SID=ABE&INC=ALL&NNC=&max=&min=&mZOOM=8&mLAT=40.149229006911625&mLON=-74.696461328125&mTYP=roadmap

Correct (especially in the western part), but still have 1" contour to extreme SEPA and most of NJ. It is still more than 3Z by a lot.

I would go with the Euro. It has been consistent while the other models all waffle. Plus it is great in this range.

The SREF is still a 13" mean for PNE, and a tight cluster from 10-15".  It had more extreme outliers before with a mean of 16", so still not a huge downgrade by any means. (talking purely about qpf, it's a big storm, it's the track and cutoff that is uncertain, and when it comes down to it, everyone will just say nowcast anyway).

Archived