• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
1/27 Winter Storm - Round 3 - Discussion Thread

Heisy

I guess i view this differently than most people. Just speaking from a Philly area perspective, this has never really been modeled as a historic storm, save for maybe that one Euro run. Even the 6 inches the NAM just spit out is in-line with a lot of what we have seen today.

I don't disagree, and the 0.6" of QPF at TTN Ray just posted is very respectable for a Miller B in these parts (of course it includes the intial clipper as well). I just think with the Euro holding strong for several runs this seems like it has a shot, but we shall see.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this would not be a march 2001 bust for our region. not even close. there have been plenty of model runs over the last few days that have indicated that much of the area could be fringed.

Absolutely you cn compare them. The 2001 storm ended up forming too far north and that is why we only got an inch instead of 30 inches. The same can be said here except maybe there is a little more of an east/west variable with this one.

I don't disagree, and the 0.6" of QPF at TTN Ray just posted is very respectable for a Miller B in these parts (of course it includes the intial clipper as well). I just think with the Euro holding strong for several runs this seems like it has a shot, but we shall see.

I hear that. The Euro has been an outlier for a while now, though.  My thing is people pretending this is a March 2001 redux for our region is silly.  I'm having trouble remembering if there has even been a single model run of any other model that has shown over a foot for PHL.    Now if NYC and points north and east end up with 6 inches I could see where they would be calling it a huge bust.  But not for Philly

Absolutely you cn compare them. The 2001 storm ended up forming too far north and that is why we only got an inch instead of 30 inches. The same can be said here except maybe there is a little more of an east/west variable with this one.

i meant in terms of the level of bust.  

GFS looks like an ugly run but then throws precip back to PHI and points east for a few frames to add up to a 6-10 inch storm around here. Better than the 18z run but still pales in comparison to the euro bomb. 0z run of the euro is going to be interesting to say the least. A lot of people are gonna be up at 2am tonite myself included.

Fwiw, it's clear that there's still adjusting going on with the models, and not all of it eastward. Best to temper our expectations for sure, but I still don't think we can know for sure what the outcome will be. 6 to 12 seems reasonable west of the Delaware. If we could get some moderate or better wind driven snow here tomorrow night into Tuesday morning, I'd be happy.

Looks like a huge bust. GFS shows storm total QPF of .25-.5" in Philadelphia. That's advisory level, unless there's massive ratios.

Incorrect

Half of city is in 0.5-0.75 the northern half is 0.75-1"

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/navm.html?model=gfs&region=us&pkg=apcpn&runtime=2015012600&fh=48&xpos=1&ypos=719

Just stop

Archived