Newest Member
    joxey
1/27 Winter Storm - Round 3 - Discussion Thread

Heisy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Precip is being pulled NNW now on the radar the coastal is starting to fire up

Already going negative. It looks like, and this shouldn't be a surprise, that the Euro was on to something which is a lot more something than any of the other models. 

The surface low is pretty far west compared to the GFS camp at the current time.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/mesoanalysis/new/viewsector.php?sector=19#

Really enjoy the optimistic views men!

I am not going to overreact to a few model runs... I still like 8-12 for the immediate NW burbs. The low already looks west on the surface map, and I trust the Euro more than anything.

range seems very high, given that even Euro has cut way back over last few runs.   the GFS and RGEM were less than half that.   I hope you are right though!

Ray,  do you happen to know if the 500mb chart on the SPC mesoscale analysis site is updated in real time from aircraft or is it derived from previous model output?

I don't know for sure off the top of my head, I'd have to go look it up, but I would suspect there is some aircraft data in there.

The only thing I fear is the development of the 500 mb low. Because right now, storm looks pretty impressive on the radar. Just hoping the tight gradient doesn't screw SEPA

The storm is going to look impressive, it is a bomb, but it is the track/gradient that will end up being our downfall.

The storm is going to look impressive, it is a bomb, but it is the track/gradient that will end up being our downfall.

Do you put any stock in the fact that the forming low is already west of the Euro guidance and way west of the GFS? I tend to lean much more heavily on the Euro, plus the set up looks good for a solid storm

Do you put any stock in the fact that the forming low is already west of the Euro guidance and way west of the GFS? I tend to lean much more heavily on the Euro, plus the set up looks good for a solid storm

it can be hard to sometimes pinpoint where the low is forming exactly, it doesn't look that different to me than what the Euro was depicting at 0z.  I'm open to the notion that I am missing something here....

Euro looks to be a tick western.

not to my eyes, looks like about .5-.7 qpf for Philly, maybe .9 for Trenton, less as you go west of Philly.   I think at this point we can safely put to rest the idea of this being a major snowstorm for Philly metro area.   Still our best event to date, obviously.

Archived