SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
1/27 Winter Storm - Round 3 - Discussion Thread

Heisy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting how, as the SREF (of which the NAM is a part) slides down, the NAM itself goes up.

this is an incredibly tough forecast for this region.  I hope people remember that when it is all said and done and people are crying busts and criticizing left and right.    I mean the storm has started and the gfs has 3 inches for PHL and the NAM has a foot.   I think the latest Euro might be a good compromise to base a forecast off of, but what do I know in the end.  

It was a nice call, how several people this afternoon / morning noticed it being stronger and going negative earlier than expected....and then boom, NAM picks up on it.  GFS should be nicer at 18z as well. (unless their data feed is screwed up again) 

IDK, I suspect its just usual NAM wackiness.

Ray, could it be picking up on anything here as far as new data being ingested?  I mean, that was a pretty big jump for the NAM less than 12 hours out from the main event

Theoretically, but the 12Z NAM had a big jump one direction while all the other guidance shifted in the other direction.  My gut says its picking up on something but blowing it out of proportion.

yeah didn't the NAM 6 hours out from the clipper arriving last weds have TTN getting 3-4 inches? Then corrected itself once the event but was still overdone when the event got underway...

There was that one or two runs of the NAM just before the clipper that had, what, 8" in ACY?

Every model, regardless of what else it depicts, is showing that tight gradient between insane snows and moderate accumulations... and we all know this to be typical of Miller Bs.  I apologize for oversimplifying here, but it is nowcasting time with the only really relevant details from Trenton on south and west being where those heavy snow bands set up and how far south and west they get.  The rest is interesting in an academic sense, but, at this point, I don't see the models giving us any more or better insight on where the line is going to be than the radar is going to give us.    

yeah didn't the NAM 6 hours out from the clipper arriving last weds have TTN getting 3-4 inches? Then corrected itself once the event but was still overdone when the event got underway...

No it did not. It showed a sharp cutoff with intense banding in SNJ (which ended up verifying). It was a tad overdone for SNJ but overall it was the only model to pick up on that and accurately showed low totals for northern areas. While the NAM has its many faults and is pretty terrible outside of 24 hours, it is pretty good at showing where banding will show up. So I think its right in showing more qpf for western areas in accordance with the EURO. Keep the the areas of banding and slash the qpf by a third and the 18z NAM might be a pretty good forecast. It's definitely trending wetter, and this close to an event that can't be ignored. Nevertheless, I'm still a bit skeptical, but this trend on the NAM is encouraging.

No it did not. It showed a sharp cutoff with intense banding in SNJ (which ended up verifying). It was a tad overdone for SNJ but overall it was the only model to pick up on that and accurately showed low totals for northern areas. While the NAM has its many faults and is pretty terrible outside of 24 hours, it is pretty good at showing where banding will show up. So I think its right in showing more qpf for western areas in accordance with the EURO. Keep the the areas of banding and slash the qpf by a third and the 18z NAM might be a pretty good forecast. It's definitely trending wetter, and this close to an event that can't be ignored. Nevertheless, I'm still a bit skeptical, but this trend on the NAM is encouraging.

More than a tad... considering at least 1 run I'm told actually had 10 inches.  Most was, what, 2?

I'll take that 6-8" in a heartbeat the way things look right now. I saw the sun almost peak through on my way home from work just now. When is the precip really supposed to start getting slung in off the Atlantic? It looked somewhat impressive about 2 hours ago but has since looked more disorganized. 

Archived