joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/27 Winter Storm - Round 3 - Discussion Thread

Heisy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do find it interesting how many folks actually go up and down based on one model run.....thankfully the professionals don't do that. They understand a model is never a forecast just guidance. Now if the EURO goes well west then you may not get your historic snow. That said almost everyone in this area is going to have a significant snow event between the clipper snows and then the coastal.

As JB would say this is a heck of a way to run a warm-up....

I do find it interesting how many folks actually go up and down based on one model run.....thankfully the professionals don't do that. They understand a model is never a forecast just guidance. Now if the EURO goes well west then you may not get your historic snow. That said almost everyone in this area is going to have a significant snow event between the clipper snows and then the coastal. As JB would say this is a heck of a way to run a warm-up....

Absolutely. We just had a several inch snowfall Friday night, and now expecting several more inches Tonight into Tuesday. After a winter of mostly cold rain and looking at grass and mud, no one should be complaining!

Sit back and enjoy it folks!

From HPC

THERE IS SIGNIFICANT SPREAD THOUGH WITH RESPECT TO TIMING AND
PLACEMENT OF THE LOW CENTER THROUGH TUESDAY...BUT ALL OPERATIONAL
MODELS NOW HAVE THE FORECAST OF A MAJOR SNOW STORM/BLIZZARD. THE
MODELS SHOW A LARGE SPREAD REGARDING WHERE THE HEAVIEST SNOW IN
RESPONSE TO TIMING AND PHASING DIFFERENCES...WITH SLOWER SOLUTIONS
INTRODUCING HEAVY SNOW POTENTIAL FURTHER SOUTH IN THE DELMARVA AND
NJ AND FURTHER INLAND INTO WESTERN NEW ENGLAND AND EASTERN NEW
YORK. SOLUTIONS WITH A FASTER LOW TRACK KEEP THE SNOW THREAT
ACROSS LONG ISLAND AND EASTERN NEW ENGLAND.

MANUAL PROGS GAVE MORE WEIGHTING TO THE 00Z GFS/GEFS MEAN/21Z SREF
MEAN/00Z ECMWF QPF AND TEMPERATURE PROFILES.

Absolutely. We just had a several inch snowfall Friday night, and now expecting several more inches Tonight into Tuesday. After a winter of mostly cold rain and looking at grass and mud, no one should be complaining!

Sit back and enjoy it folks!

if this ends up as a couple of inches and 60 miles to the north they are getting a historic blizzard people will be complaining i assure you.  Miller B's are brutal, and we are right in the sweat zone.  I got killed by a few people for being a downer yesterday, but I have seen this setup before, it doesn't mean it can't still hit big here, but it is far from a lock, and someone close by is getting screwed

Steve D believes the surface was poorly reflected on GFS, and says upper-levels were like the EURO. IMO I would still not rule out a major hit for SEPA

I'd be surprised if most reasonable people were ruling out a major hit based just on the GFS.   If the GGEM and Euro follow suit, then it will be time to reassess.

You can't throw out a model run just because. Could it be erroneous? Yes but just tossing bc the surface doesn't reflect 500mb is not smart. The GFS was different simply because it was weaker and took longer to close off therefore it's best dynamics headed north and east. I'm waiting for the euro and it's ensembles before I do anything.

Archived