joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Major East Coast Storm on Saturday Part 2

IsentropicLift

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

please come on and post more - some of the best posts of the entire board.... 

Thanks :)... I think its always important to try to figure out what is causing a given model solution. That way it can help us to understand why we sometimes see counterintuitive solutions (e.g. precipitation shield smaller yet has higher precipitation amounts). 

upton updated:

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

not such great collaboration, as often happens along I-95 between Middlesex County in the Mt. Holly CWA and Union/SI in the Upton CWA.  1-2" for my area in northern Middlesex, adjacent to 3-4" amounts immediately to our north and east and you'd figure we'd get at least what SI gets, given that we're further inland at the same latitude.  The do have 0.10-0.25" of freezing rain falling in our area, though, which would surprise me.  

http://www.weather.gov/phi/winter

StormTotalSnowRange.png

StormTotalIceWebFcst.png

Mt.Holly keeps the WWA for my area, actually they lowered the snowfall amounts slighty from 2-4" to 1-3" with  0.15" of ice expected. I have a feeling this may get increased as the storm is occuring. In addition the is in effect from 7pm this evening until 8am tomorrow morning so it was extended from the previous adivsory which went into effect at 9pm.

I would like to throw some caution into the recent 4-km NAM simulation... the latest (18z) run was quite aggressive with precipitation near the mid-atlantic coastline. This results in a lot of the moisture that is being fed into the system to be "rained out"... reducing the downstream moisture flux available for additional precipitation that would likely be frozen in nature (such as over the baroclinic zone over NY/PA/NJ ect.). This will need to be watched the next 6-12 hours, as it resulted in substantially reduced precipitation amounts over the southeast this morning. 

nam4k_loop.gif

not such great collaboration, as often happens along I-95 between Middlesex County in the Mt. Holly CWA and Union/SI in the Upton CWA.  1-2" for my area in northern Middlesex, adjacent to 3-4" amounts immediately to our north and east and you'd figure we'd get at least what SI gets, given that we're further inland at the same latitude.  The do have 0.10-0.25" of freezing rain falling in our area, though, which would surprise me.  

StormTotalIceWebFcst.png

Ughhh, not ice! And .25 is no joke.

StormTotalSnowRange.png

StormTotalIceWebFcst.png

This is not surprising, this corridor is usually the "wildcard" so to speak. This just shows the gaps IMO of the lack of collaboration between NWS offices at times, we have seen this happen in this area many times before.

LOL at these new ads on here when you're on a phone, I just found myself wondering why someone attached a photo of a chick in prison gear to their post

Hahahah! That's happened to my like 4 different times today. Once in a while you'll get some bikini ad tho and that always is entertaining haha

LOL at these new ads on here when you're on a phone, I just found myself wondering why someone attached a photo of a chick in prison gear to their post

:lmao: You're not the only one.

It will be interesting to see where the battle line sets up im not so sure nyc goes over to a plain rain, hell I could see brooklyn raining and the northern bronx fighting back and fourth.

:lmao: You're not the only one.

It will be interesting to see where the battle line sets up im not so sure nyc goes over to a plain rain, hell I could see brooklyn raining and the northern bronx fighting back and fourth.

yep i'm in that battle zone and my snow totals up in my location are usually in +2 category..which means bk and lower manhattan gets 4 inches and i usually end up at 6,also whats interesting about this is that northern manhattan and bronx do have some elevation but not much to directly affect the totals.

This is not surprising, this corridor is usually the "wildcard" so to speak. This just shows the gaps IMO of the lack of collaboration between NWS offices at times, we have seen this happen in this area many times before.

Yep, we've been through this situation many times in Middlesex/Union/SI.  My guess is this is a reflection of how complex the system is and slight differences in opinions between the offices and lack of time to reach consensus at the "boundary conditions" lol - one office will be right and one won't, since the discontinuity, as shown, is an impossible outcome (unless there were perfect banding that stopped right at the borders of these counties).  

Thanks :)... I think its always important to try to figure out what is causing a given model solution. That way it can help us to understand why we sometimes see counterintuitive solutions (e.g. precipitation shield smaller yet has higher precipitation amounts). 

Agree, you are a huge asset to this forum.

Good to have you here!

Archived