joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Major East Coast Storm on Saturday Part 2

IsentropicLift

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think there is much doubt that after 2:30 AM or so...snow is going to start to come down pretty heavily in the area...likely 1 to 2 inches per hour. 

Having reviewed some of the latest data...and factoring in climatological normals...the projected track of the cyclone...and a few other items...I think many parts of Long Island are looking at a total snowfall in the 5 to 10 inch range...with about 3 to 6 inches before any changeover...and another 2 to 4 inches during the afternoon hours...assuming a change back to accumulating snow. It is late January...a very favorable time of the year...the water is cold...the track is fairly favorable...not too much warm air is going to be advected onshore or even aloft...I don't see it getting too much warmer than maybe 1 C at 850 mb...and that is within the normal error range of most of these models. TWT.

While I believe you to be one of the most knowledgeable posters vis a vis climatology, I have to respectfully disagree. Bold call, though, and certainly within the realm of possibility.

While I believe you to be one of the most knowledgeable posters vis a vis climatology, I have to respectfully disagree. Bold call, though, and certainly within the realm of possibility.

Like everybody else...you take an educated guess...you win some...you lose some...but you throw yourself out there and you never be afraid to try. 

00z HRRR is interesting as the CCB begins to come into range. It's looking really solid.

Extrapolated, it looks to me like the perfect run for many of us (especially northern parts of the city and around where you are and extreme NENJ)....only problem is that since I don't think it could get too much better than that....we know what happens in subsequent runs lol

Really the only run of the NAM that means squat coming up now...

Bad start..NAM looked very warm at Hour 6 / 1:00 AM.

Bad start..NAM looked very warm at Hour 6 / 1:00 AM.

Its 36 in the metro area ( I realize cooling will take us down to near freezing but like being in upper 20s to give us some extra time on front end), not a good strting point and would support NAM's warm start. Im hoping for a healthy CCB/back end scenario. Not buying the RAP scenario. the good news is the 850 freezing is around AC and if it moves slowly enough we should be good till sun rise. Ill take 2-4 front end and 2-3 back end and smile all the way to the bank.

This is one wet, energetic little system with a sub tropical connection...temperatures @850 mb exceed 10 C as close as the Delmarva Penninsula which tells me some places are probably looking at 2.00 inches L.E. 

Archived