joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Major East Coast Storm on Saturday Part 2

IsentropicLift

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably 6 to 12 inches over western Passaic / eastern Sussex Counties...certainly no changeover to liquid...maybe a brief period of sleet at the height of the storm.

So Pamela you really think that the WAA will not be a player at all?? I hope you are right because then this storm has the potential to double the current forecast amounts. Of course this is all speculation at this point but it would certainly make it interesting.

In my past experiences models usually are too fast with the WAA and a lot of times the pecip comes in faster than anticipated which shuts it off before it warms. I will tell you that the radar definitely does look robust.

Thoughts?

I mean this sort of thing is not the easiest forecast...it would likely be warmest aloft when precip rates are at their heaviest.  Consequently, if the models are off by as little as 1 C at a particular location and very heavy precip is underway at that juncture in time...you can easily throw your forecast off by 3 inches of snow being off for just one hour. 

So Pamela you really think that the WAA will not be a player at all?? I hope you are right because then this storm has the potential to double the current forecast amounts. Of course this is all speculation at this point but it would certainly make it interesting.

In my past experiences models usually are too fast with the WAA and a lot of times the pecip comes in faster than anticipated which shuts it off before it warms. I will tell you that the radar definitely does look robust.

Thoughts?

Definitely is a factor...very much the key factor in the equation....were warming aloft absent from the equation...we would likely be discussing a 12 - 18 inch major snowstorm throughout the region. 

Thoughts?

That's certainly a possibility but with no arctic airmass in place it's a really tough call. I do think the media outlets are under-forecasting amounts. Oh yea I'm not Pamela lol.

I think it'll still be midnight to 1am or so

Probably edge into Staten Island first...between 11 PM & midnight...later as one heads NE bound. This will not be one of those situations where it takes a long time for the atmosphere to moisten up. 

Probably edge into Staten Island first...between 11 PM & midnight...later as one heads NE bound. This will not be one of those situations where it takes a long time for the atmosphere to moisten up.

Pam, great thoughts. I'm not as worried about the warm layer until about 6 hrs of precip has fallen. Looks like you are thinking the same? I'm not sold on a CCB (at least for the city). I think that the front end will produce 3-4 at KNYC and then it's sleet/slop/dry slot for 4-5 hrs...ending with a sloppy inch or two. I think 5" total (not depth) is a good call for Central Park.

Sent from my iPhone

Someone referenced a similar event last year, that event although it came in around the same time of night had a strong high to the north and much stronger warm advection in the mid levels, most places flipped to sleet or freezing rain quickly and many started as it and went to snow

My main concern here is the potential for this to turn into a heavy sleet fest for many areas

Pam, great thoughts. I'm not as worried about the warm layer until about 6 hrs of precip has fallen. Looks like you are thinking the same? I'm not sold on a CCB (at least for the city). I think that the front end will produce 3-4 at KNYC and then it's sleet/slop/dry slot for 4-5 hrs...ending with a sloppy inch or two. I think 5" total (not depth) is a good call for Central Park.

Sent from my iPhone

I mean I would think much of the NYC area should be mostly all snow from midnight until 6AM at least...thereafter the problem lies...now obviously...as the cyclone takes shape off the Virginia Capes this evening...the winds aloft should blow out of the south and begin to transport warm air at higher levels northbound.  However...eventually that surface cyclone is going to edge to the east of the longitude of NYC as it heads for the benchmark...this will cause the winds aloft to ever so slowly back around and necessitate a halt to the northward progression of the 0 C isotherm at higher levels...the devil is in the timing & the details. 

Surface Temperatures are not falling at all in western Nassau it's holding at 35 for the last couple of hours. Can't see this being a good thing!!!

That means absolutely nothing, I assure you. Temperatures never go down at night as clouds roll in and a storm approaches. 

Archived