• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Major East Coast Storm on Saturday Part 2

IsentropicLift

So.....the NAM shows a dumping just like the latest RAP/HRRR of 6" in and around (especially just NW) the NYC area, with mostly frozen. However, it seems to be lacking all of the precip further inland NW of the low for much of anything after the front end dump. Regardless, this is about the best NAM run so far for NNJ/NYC

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's just hope and pray that every single model from now to End of storm ends up being better and colder our something. Low chances EVERYONE gets only snow but then again could end up surprises lol

Lol we all wish, doesnt matter what the models say at this point. Nowcast and predict from there. Some of the higher res short term models are worth looking at, but were a few hours from the storm and the gfs and euro wont tell us much of anything from here on out.

The HRRR has been getting progressively colder each run in the lower levels and now has Bergen county staying all snow for the entire run. If the warm nose between 900-800mb doesn't pan out and the HRRR is correct, then I would expect totals to range 5-8" in this area. 

Its also nice to see that some of the heaviest snow should stick around in time for daybreak tomorrow. 

NAM is quite borderline for NYC in terms of seeing mostly snow or a mix. At 9z, all layers at JFK are just below freezing, but a warm layer at 750-800 mb looks to move in soon after, meaning at least sleet. At Islip, the 850mb temp is literally 0.0 at 9z (every other layer below freezing). It'll be very interesting to see how the R/S line advances overnight. Maybe it can be held off if precip is heavy enough. Central Park looks slightly colder than these but the 750mb warm layer breaks through after 9z. The front part of the storm looks to be done by or just after 12z.

I mean just common sense here...you have a sub 990 mb surface Low move from the vicinity of Hatteras to at least 150 miles to the east of Montauk (if the NAM placement is right)  at the end of January... seriously...how much warm air can be advected in such a situation?

NAM is quite borderline for NYC in terms of seeing mostly snow or a mix. At 9z, all layers at JFK are just below freezing, but a warm layer at 750-800 mb looks to move in soon after, meaning at least sleet. At Islip, the 850mb temp is literally 0.0 at 9z (every other layer below freezing). It'll be very interesting to see how the R/S line advances overnight. Maybe it can be held off if precip is heavy enough. Central Park looks slightly colder than these but the 750mb warm layer breaks through after 9z. The front part of the storm looks to be done by or just after 12z.

Should be another good night to sit back and fire up this radar.

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=OKX-N0C-0-6#

I mean just common sense here...you have a sub 990 mb surface Low move from the vicinity of Hatteras to at least 150 miles to the east of Montauk (if the NAM placement is right)  at the end of January... seriously...how much warm air can be advected in such a situation?

The mid levels will warm for sure with the 850 low tracking nearby, but the surface I don't know...how are we going to warm up on a NNE wind at this time of year?  I've been baffled for days as to how the coast gets above 32 once they wet bulb down.

The mid levels will warm for sure with the 850 low tracking nearby, but the surface I don't know...how are we going to warm up on a NNE wind at this time of year? I've been baffled for days as to how the coast gets above 32 once they wet bulb down.

I remember you being concerned about FZR well before anything was picked up with the models. 100% agree.

The mid levels will warm for sure with the 850 low tracking nearby, but the surface I don't know...how are we going to warm up on a NNE wind at this time of year?  I've been baffled for days as to how the coast gets above 32 once they wet bulb down.

I mean I don't know if I'm misreading the upper air charts...but the NAM progs seem to have the 850 Low pass south of Long Island off the central NJ coast, no?

I mean I don't know if I'm misreading the upper air charts...but the NAM progs seem to have the 850 Low pass south of Long Island off the central NJ coast, no?

Its an open 850 low now vs a closed and stronger one on the models yesterday...here is the 12Z NAM...one of the Mets in the SNE forum joked this was almost transitioning to a southwest flow event

nam_namer_024_850_temp_ht.gif

It's definitely not a bad thing that the short range models are trending colder with each run....totals across NNJ/NYC have gotten better, from 4-5 inches all the way to 6-7 inches on the latest one. We can consider that a real treat if anything like that happens

If anyone bitches about getting 5 or 6 inches.

send them to cuba

Archived