joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Major East Coast Storm on Saturday Part 2

IsentropicLift

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1z HRRR looks great for NYC. LI & N Jersey.

The 2z is at least as good and has more snow coming through at the end of its run. I'm looking at wx bell snow maps and they are 6-8" across much of the area.....but I wouldn't doubt that the actual snow depth would be half of that if we're lucky, not just due to compaction, but mixing

Anybody who thinks that is happening better go have a drink and head to bed.

With 22 posts to your credit...entering into this discussion with a bit of humility might be a wiser course...

Lee showed the futurecast that shows the mixing hitting NYC around 4am. That futurecast is probably the reason why tv mets are going with just 1 to 3. Any chance it can be right? I've actually seen that futurecast be fairly accurate quite often, so it concerns me a little. Although if I was a tv met, I would have gone with 2 to 4 rather than 1 to 3. Nick Gregory actually had 2 to 4. But all the others are 1 to 3.

9z (around 4am) is when some of the warm layers might approach the South Shore and NYC area. But judging by the radar, a good amount of snow may have fallen by then. And heavier rates may try to halt the northward progress of the mixing line. It's really a nowcast event. 

Anybody who thinks that is happening better go have a drink and head to bed.

You must be new here.

We know how these algo maps all account for sleet when running accumulating maps. So when you see 6 to 8 in marginal areas most know 4 is prob fair.

Which is a win in Monmouth county

And KNYC should see 5.

Thank god the mets make forecasts based on their knowledge and other factors rather than just what the models are spitting out. There's a reason why they are forecasting these low amounts and they know a hell of alot more than people here

Half the tv personalities aren't mets though....just saying.

PHL is reporting sleet but that was expected by 04Z.

Still reports of heavy sleet w some mixed in sown in DE. So I think the 925 s may be stuck there.

The real change over is when that races N. usually happens fast.

This time it doesn't go much further than KNYC before it pivots.

Thank god the mets make forecasts based on their knowledge and other factors rather than just what the models are spitting out. There's a reason why they are forecasting these low amounts and they know a hell of alot more than people here

hahhahahahaha

I'll be sure to remember that when every single one of them that called for 1-3 busts low. Be sure to come back and face that music when 4-6 is the result. I'll go with Upton/Mt. Holly and several of the red taggers here, you go with the TV mets and we'll see who fairs better on this event and future events.

Worst post of the year early candidate. Sure nick Gregory, lee Goldberg and other pro mets are well respected to say other ahem ny weather personalities know more than any red tagger here or many other posters is absurd

With 22 posts to your credit...entering into this discussion with a bit of humility might be a wiser course...

Hey Pammy…I'm a degreed meteorologist and have been doing this for the better part of 30 years having worked at 2

of the largest private weather companies.  I know the area and it's climo as well as anyone.  Up until recently I've been just a lurker

but having now moved into private consulting I have more time to post.  We'll see by tomorrow how my forecast works out.  

Good luck with your lofty snowfall projections from earlier because I think they are in jeopardy. If you think the latest HRRR is going to verify on those snow totals for the Jersey shore who better find another hobby.  

Goldberg is and the others are guided by pro mets. I love it when message board amateurs insist they know more than professionals with degrees and experience. Even Nick Gregory has a fair 2-4 and he usually runs high....and who is talking about lonnie quinn who is probably getting his stuff from a met at wcbs 880

Hey Pammy…I'm a degreed meteorologist and have been doing this for the better part of 30 years having worked at 2

of the largest private weather companies. I know the area and it's climo as well as anyone. Up until recently I've been just a lurker

but having now moved into private consulting I have more time to post. We'll see by tomorrow how my forecast works out.

Good luck with your lofty snowfall projections from earlier because I think they are in jeopardy. If you think the latest HRRR is going to verify on those snow totals for the Jersey shore who better find another hobby.

You should have a red tag. PM a mod or admin.

Archived