joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Major East Coast Storm on Saturday Part 2

IsentropicLift

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All I can say is that it is a good thing this event is starting under cover of darkness for NYC and immediate burbs.

Temps in and around the city are going to wet bulb to about 30-31 and stay there for a while before rising SLOWLY

towards and just after daybreak.  It would be murder to get snow to accumulate in the city with those temps during the

daytime unless it were absolutely ripping.  I think 1-3 for NYC and immediate burbs is a good fcst and 3-5 or 4-6 from TTN

up thru MMU to HPN.  L.I. 1-3 looks reasonable.   I think anybody expecting anything higher than these numbers is going to be disappointed.

All I can say is that it is a good thing this event is starting under cover of darkness for NYC and immediate burbs.

Temps in and around the city are going to wet bulb to about 30-31 and stay there for a while before rising SLOWLY

towards and just after daybreak.  It would be murder to get snow to accumulate in the city with those temps during the

daytime unless it were absolutely ripping.  I think 1-3 for NYC and immediate burbs is a good fcst and 3-5 or 4-6 from TTN

up thru MMU to HPN.  L.I. 1-3 looks reasonable.   I think anybody expecting anything higher than these numbers is going to be disappointed.

Yep...that 28 degree angular elevation of the sun at noon is a killer...

Snow will easily accumulate everywhere, maybe besides the avenues in Manhattan and main highways when it's below freezing this time of year. When it's more than light, it sticks everywhere.

What model are they using for that forecast? Even the low-end, relatively low-res GFS has 3" for the NYC metro area.

Even Meteorologist Joe Cioffi doesn't believe that. He's happy he increased his snow totals today and believes he will at least hit his numbers but he's starting to get worried about being a bit low.

What model are they using for that forecast? Even the low-end, relatively low-res GFS has 3" for the NYC metro area.

Kind of wondering that myself.  Seems that all the TV mets are playing it relatively safe.  I think a 2-4 would have been a better TV call for NYC (though we very well could get more based on recent trends).

Just noticed this..  going to be so close, but this surge is ugly.  Cools dramatically after.. sign is there for some heavy banding and frontogenesis in and around the city (though nyc is warm on 925h after 9z).   Would not shock me to see heavy snow NW NJ.. 30-40 miles west of NYC.  

00z NAM

post-1996-0-47555600-1422073199_thumb.pn

You would think after the 0z runs, we would of been upgraded to warning status. I guess they will wait till morning.

You don't have to worry about that...when the storm has 30 minutes of snow left to it...Winter Storm Warnings will be issued!

It has only happened countless times before. 

Lee showed the futurecast that shows the mixing hitting NYC around 4am. That futurecast is probably the reason why tv mets are going with just 1 to 3. Any chance it can be right? I've actually seen that futurecast be fairly accurate quite often, so it concerns me a little. Although if I was a tv met, I would have gone with 2 to 4 rather than 1 to 3. Nick Gregory actually had 2 to 4. But all the others are 1 to 3.

Because models start warming upper levels around 09z which is 4am.   1-3" is fine for NYC... Nick has 2-4" ,,, IMO this could be something like 1.5" NYC and 2-3.5" in the other boroughs, with BX highest. 

Lee showed the futurecast that shows the mixing hitting NYC around 4am. That futurecast is probably the reason why tv mets are going with just 1 to 3. Any chance it can be right? I've actually seen that futurecast be fairly accurate quite often, so it concerns me a little. Although if I was a tv met, I would have gone with 2 to 4 rather than 1 to 3. Nick Gregory actually had 2 to 4. but all the others are 1 to 3.

You don't have to worry about that...when the storm has 30 minutes of snow left to it...Winter Storm Warnings will be issued!

It has only happened countless times before. 

You and I know what the real deal is. Ever since that March 2001 epic bust, tv mets have played conservative with every storm since.

Archived