e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
1/12 Possible Overrunning Storm

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I respect the fact that you are a red tagged but do you really think ice will be an issue on the south shore?

No way in hell it's 36 currently with a nice wind off the water. This isn't like Friday with super cold air sitting just above the surface at 950. Some sleet at the beginning sure. But does that warrant a WWA? Maybe the nws took some heat over Friday. They must be in cya mode.

Sadly I agree for your area. Dew's mean a lot for inland areas, but the south coast of LI is a hostile environment. Once the winds get cranking from the SW its over. I believe the low level cold will hang around longer than modeled, but it probably wont mean much to the southern Nassau/Queens area.

35 degrees with a dew point of 23

Radar has precip racing towards the coast already, way ahead of schedule.

No surprising at all. Precip usually always comes in before the modeled time for these overruning events.  It actually might benefit us, considering precip could reach us during the dark vs dawn.

They have me 39 and rain. They are going to be right.

I'm sure he means the WWA. Watching the 11 pm news last night was good for a laugh. Showing sanitation filling trucks fill salt and talking about pre-treating roads with brine.

How is it that I as a non formally trained meteorologist knew with nearly 100% certainty that it wasn't happening but large sums of money were wasted on needless pre-treating?

I'm sure he means the WWA. Watching the 11 pm news last night was good for a laugh. Showing sanitation filling trucks fill salt and talking about pre-treating roads with brine.

How is it that I as a non formally trained meteorologist knew with nearly 100% certainty that it wasn't happening but large sums of money were wasted on needless pre-treating?

Yeah I thinking about this driving to the train station this morning and looking at all the local streets pasted with wasted salt.

In their defense, timing probably had a lot to do with it.  A little ice accretion on untreated roads during the Monday morning commute would have had people clamoring for someone's head. There was a red tagger or two in here last night alluding to the possibility of ice, and with a cold ground I don't see how you could rule it out.

OTOH, I think the roads are over treated in general to the point where its become a significant waste of resources.

In their defense, timing probably had a lot to do with it. A little ice accretion on untreated roads during the Monday morning commute would have had people clamoring for someone's head. There was a red tagger or two in here last night alluding to the possibility of ice, and with a cold ground I don't see how you could rule it out.

OTOH, I think the roads are over treated in general to the point where its become a significant waste of resources.

It's also terrible for the environment. Bad for pets an really bad for street trees. Then it runs off into the local bays.

I understand it's a necessary evil but it should be used only when truly needed.

Again I knew by 9 pm last night there was 0 percent chance of happening

Picked up 1.5" of new snow overnight. Changed over to mostly ZR with a few PL mixed in and 30 degrees. Roads mostly wet but sidewalks and parking lots are pretty slick. Second straight snow day for a lot of the school districts up here (many were closed Friday).

Same here.. These kids are driving me crazy! lol

About 0.8" of snow w/ a nice layer of ice on top. Just moved above freezing now so just lgt rain

Archived