12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
1/12 Possible Overrunning Storm

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 12z GFS is an icey mess just away from the immediate coast. It's had that general signal for quite some time.

Also the heavier precip shifted a bit north this run.

Verbatim a wintry mix for most of the tri-state on the GFS. Maybe 1-3" snow north of Rt.78 along with sleet and ice...

What trend? GFS isnt away from a nice snow event.

Go back over last 4 GFS runs....bl is getting slightly wamer with each subsequent run. It is caving to the PGFS imo. That's the trend. Might be snow now but by 0Z if the trend continues then we could be looking st sleet/ice turning to plain rain. Semantics at this point.

Verbatim a wintry mix for most of the tri-state on the GFS. Maybe 1-3" snow north of Rt.78 along with sleet and ice...

Hour 75 is the critical hour and unfortunatly both 850 and 925mb temps are above freezing with the surface around 30F and in the 20's N&W. So that's more of a freezing rain profile than sleet because the cold air is very shallow. And you're talking 0.25"+ liquid having fallen already by that point. The generally light rain accumulates a lot faster as well.

What trend? GFS isnt away from a nice snow event.

I would tend to disagree. The GFS isn't far away from a crippling ice storm for a large chunk of the area. The low level cold air is there but you really don't have anything to prevent the mid-levels from warming. The coastal takes too long to get going and then stays too far offshore to flip winds back around.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_13.png

I would tend to disagree. The GFS isn't far away from a crippling ice storm for a large chunk of the area. The low level cold air is there but you really don't have anything to prevent the mid-levels from warming. The coastal takes too long to get going and then stays too far offshore to flip winds back around.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_13.png

So close to a nice snow storm...if that coastal is either delayed a little longer...or cranks a little faster...

By the time it changes over the precip may be mostly over, there is no onshore component, its all WSW surface winds, that is not going to do the trick away from LI in this setup, this is about as grim a setup for NYC for ice I've seen in a pretty long time, we need this system to trend strong to try and force the BL above freezing because I can do without ice, if its not going to be snow I'd rather see sleet or rain.

Yeah the GGEM is pretty much safe that nobody except well NW has to worry about FZRA, I'd probably be willing to take that setup vs the possibility of getting .25-.50 of FZRA

Certainly not a surprise if we see mostly rain from this. I don't like the setup and the timing is off. There's strong highs to the west but the initial high is retreating so the wind direction starts becoming unfavorable. Without any blocking I've often seen similar setups continue to trend north as we get closer and I think the same will happen this time meaning even warmer BL temps. 

The good news is that we wouldn't have to worry about FZRA so I would hope for milder temps to avoid that possibility. 

Certainly not a surprise if we see mostly rain from this. I don't like the setup and the timing is off. There's strong highs to the west but the initial high is retreating so the wind direction starts becoming unfavorable. Without any blocking I've often seen similar setups continue to trend north as we get closer and I think the same will happen this time meaning even warmer BL temps. 

The good news is that we wouldn't have to worry about FZRA so I would hope for milder temps to avoid that possibility. 

I think the timing of the precip arrival will determine the %'s of snow / ice/ rain any one location receives. Right now anyone north of 78 has a better then even chance of dealing with  a prolonged frozen event IMO. The rest of the area is still a big question mark........

The UKMET is closer to the GFS at 72 than the GGEM, the Euro may come in somewhere between although wouldnt surprise me to see it be closer to the GFS, the trend all year has been weaker.

Is this storm an ice threat, or is it unlikely for this storm to produce significant amounts of ice for the area? In other words, is it an ice or rain-maker?

Is this storm an ice threat, or is it unlikely for this storm to produce significant amounts of ice for the area? In other words, is it an ice or rain-maker?

I think SnowGooses concerns about an ice storm are spot on. You have a pretty significant setup between the WAA and the departing high pressure. And at least at the moment precip should be on the lighter side which would accumulate more efficiantly.

I think SnowGooses concerns about an ice storm are spot on. You have a pretty significant setup between the WAA and the departing high pressure. And at least at the moment precip should be on the lighter side which would accumulate more efficiantly.

You are making a good point that is lost on many. In a freezing rain setup lighter precip will do more damage than heavier rain which will fall to the ground, where it can be treated, more than collect on trees, wires, etc.

You are making a good point that is lost on many. In a freezing rain setup lighter precip will do more damage than heavier rain which will fall to the ground, where it can be treated, more than collect on trees, wires, etc.

Plus heavier rates causes friction in the air which releases heat and can help to raise temps a degree or two, and sometimes that's the difference between a few problems and major problems.

Plus heavier rates causes friction in the air which releases heat and can help to raise temps a degree or two, and sometimes that's the difference between a few problems and major problems.

???

Heavier rates cause more latent heat release from freezing rain and can cause ground temps to nudge above freezing. It's not from friction.

The 12z ECMWF starts the coast as rain and the far interior as snow with a narrow band of ice/sleet in between. Then the surface cools some but the mid-levels stay fairly warm. It would be a rain to ZR/IP for the immediate coast and just inland and mostly snow for the Poconos, NW NJ and most of the LHV with a battleground extending from about the DE Water Gap up through NE NJ and perhaps even the city.

The 12z ECMWF starts the coast as rain and the far interior as snow with a narrow band of ice/sleet in between. Then the surface cools some but the mid-levels stay fairly warm. It would be a rain to ZR/IP for the immediate coast and just inland and mostly snow for the Poconos, NW NJ and most of the LHV with a battleground extending from about the DE Water Gap up through NE NJ and perhaps even the city.

Sounds same as GFS...

Good and accurate description.

Thanks.

Archived