Newest Member
    CHSVol
January 11-12 Snow/Mixed Precip

Hoosier

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One would think there would be at least an advisory though

For what, lol. The narrowest little band of 3"+ falling in what.. 8 hours? Come on people. I know it's fun to see your county in an advisory, but you can't expect one everytime it snows in Michigan in the middle of January.

For what, lol. The narrowest little band of 3"+ falling in what.. 8 hours? Come on people. I know it's fun to see your county in an advisory, but you can't expect one everytime it snows in Michigan in the middle of January.

Agreed.  It was just another January day in Michigan let not act like we have not been there before.  They should just bring back the Travelers Advisory as it was used anytime it would snow 1-4".  :pimp::lol:

Mainly to alert people who don't pay attention to the weather. It's literally only our second decent snowfall this year and all hell broke loose on the roads for our first one last week. Idk.

Why would the NWS issue headlines for 2-4" falling over 8 hours? You've totally lost me. You're from the south, I'm guessing?

Got 4.5" to be exact. I could care less advisory or no advisory, but to someone who travels to work long distances whatnot should definitely be warned. I know 4" is not a lot of snow, but let's be realistic here,  even 1" of snow can causes tremendous problems on the roads.  Even this morning we had numerous accidents. 

Last event I got only couple of inches of snow, and 1 hour worth of wind, why was there a advisory? 

Got 4.5" to be exact. I could care less advisory or no advisory, but to someone who travels to work long distances whatnot should definitely be warned. I know 4" is not a lot of snow, but let's be realistic here,  even 1" of snow can causes tremendous problems on the roads.  Even this morning we had numerous accidents. 

Last event I got only couple of inches of snow, and 1 hour worth of wind, why was there a advisory?

4.5" was never in the forecast, so that isn't really relevant. As for the last event, I would suggest reading the text of the advisory if you want to know what the advisory was for. Traffic impacts are ubiquitous throughout winter. A half inch of snow causes problems. Advisories aren't really issued to warn people that climatology is about to happen. But hey, maybe it should be. After all, climatology has impacts in harsh climates.

snow201501121231.png

This map was made before final totals came in.

For the most part it seemed to be a 2.5-4" event for most of metro-Detroit. DTW finished with 2.9", which puts them at 13.1" on the season with a snow depth of 6".

I finished with 2.7" which puts me at 12.8" on the season, and I also have a snow depth of 6". Snowbanks are getting nice and big in spots now that we have had 3 plowable snowfalls this week. Nothing close to a major storm, but we have nickled and dimed ourselves to a winter wonderland. The snow is absolutely gorgeous right now with the late-day sunlight, took some pics I will upload later.

Mainly to alert people who don't pay attention to the weather. It's literally only our second decent snowfall this year and all hell broke loose on the roads for our first one last week. Idk.

As someone who drives in every single snowfall, I can tell you despite no big storms, I can count 4 different snowfalls where the traffic was a nightmare in metro-Detroit, mainly due to the fact that all the snowfalls were cold snowfalls.

Nov 19- 2-4" snowfall, temps in the teens/20s

Jan 6/7- 1-2" snowfall, temps in single digits

Jan 8/9- 2-4" snowfall, temps in single digits/teens

Jan 11/12- 2-4" snowfall, temps in 20s

Archived