joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 11-12 Snow/Mixed Precip

Hoosier

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like the warm nose was slightly underestimated on earlier modeling around here.  Not majorly but just enough to tip it from mainly sleet to freezing rain with sleet mixed in.  Kudos to blue...he was on top of that...I should've known better as that's not an infrequent occurrence. 

If the HRRR is on the right track, it's mainly freezing rain (assuming temps don't warm above freezing) with perhaps a bit of sleet until around 11 PM or just after, and then a change to sleet before ending as snow.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN  

714 PM EST SUN JAN 11 2015  

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON  

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.  

..REMARKS..  

0700 PM FREEZING RAIN INDIANAPOLIS 39.71N 86.28W  

01/11/2015 M0.00 INCH MARION IN NWS OFFICE  

ONE TENTH OF AN INCH OF LIQUID PRECIPITATION. TRACE OF  

ICE ON SNOW BOARDS. SIDEWALKS BECOMING SLICK. ICE IS  

STARTING TO ACCUMULATE ON METAL SURFACES.  

Seems like the warm nose was slightly underestimated on earlier modeling around here.  Not majorly but just enough to tip it from mainly sleet to freezing rain with sleet mixed in.  Kudos to blue...he was on top of that...I should've known better as that's not an infrequent occurrence. 

If the HRRR is on the right track, it's mainly freezing rain (assuming temps don't warm above freezing) with perhaps a bit of sleet until around 11 PM or just after, and then a change to sleet before ending as snow.

WAA probably under-estimated by the models 9/10 times. Still, sort of an interesting event in that we did all of this with S/SW/SSW winds the whole time. As you stated before, not the usual or ideal wind direction in an icing event.

Banding going to be fairly anti-climatic here. It's surging northward now this way (and wasted half of its residence on saturation).

Oh well...

I will say (being on the southern edge of the band) it's still spitting snow at a pretty modest clip. The flake size isn't impressive though.

Have a couple tenths of a inch so far.

WAA probably under-estimated by the models 9/10 times. Still, sort of an interesting event in that we did all of this with S/SW/SSW winds the whole time. As you stated before, not the usual or ideal wind direction in an icing event.

Yeah.  The warm layer seems like it was underdone by maybe 0.5 to 1C, but every little bit matters.  Also, even though max temps are not that warm in the warm layer, it seems fairly thick and it's just not cold enough below to refreeze all of this into sleet. 

2.1" here with some light snow still floating down.  Real nice refresher.  The snow pack has a nice glint to it again.  Now about 6" on the ground after the original 6-7" from a few days ago had settled back to around 4".

Went on a mini jeb walk a bit ago to drop off some mail at the post office drop box.  Was pretty nice with the fresh snow, and flakes still floating down all around.

You and me both buddy. This is painful, especially as the person advocating for this event.

yeah my "fear" last night (with regard to original call) was the "rippin" band would set up from Peru to Mt. Prospect....although I didn't expect it to be in quite the transitory state that it is in currently....

that being said...we should have a solid mini-thump as the line works through our areas....

still sitting at just over half an inch here as light snow continues...trees are getting a nice fresh coat after everything had been blown off the other day...

2.1" here with some light snow still floating down.  Real nice refresher.  The snow pack has a nice glint to it again.  Now about 6" on the ground after the original 6-7" from a few days ago had settled back to around 4".

Went on a mini jeb walk a bit ago to drop off some mail at the post office drop box.  Was pretty nice with the fresh snow, and flakes still floating down all around.

I thought you were down for 0.0-0.5"?

Archived