joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 11-12 Snow/Mixed Precip

Hoosier

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Convergence has pushed inland to just west of I-94 in Lake/Cook Co's, thus "LES" is now developing over land and is pushing as far west as Sterling (Shows up better on DVN) and Princeton. In addition to that, the big plant near GYY is clearly seeding and enhancing snowfall downstream across Cook/Will Co's.

2dlqk94.png

Very strange situation here right now.  Sky is completely clear, except on the eastern horizon where there's an incoming bank of clouds.  It's actually snowing (lightly) decent size dendrites with about 80% of the sky clear with the sun out.  Guessing it's more lake effect stuff making it this far west.  Thanks for sharing Alek.

Convergence has pushed inland to just west of I-94 in Lake/Cook Co's, thus "LES" is now developing over land and is pushing as far west as Sterling (Shows up better on DVN) and Princeton. In addition to that, the big plant near GYY is clearly seeding and enhancing snowfall downstream across Cook/Will Co's.

Very cool!

I went to a talk at AMS by a forecaster at Amarillo (Bill Simpson, I believe?) about a plant-effect snow event down there back in February.  They ended up getting 5" of it in one part of the town downwind and having to put a WWA out for plant-effect.

This is a little OT...but IMO the NWS should simplify the process.  Have two products...A Winter Weather Alert/Statement (no watch..warning...advisory...SPS..blah...blah...make people read the da*n product instead of getting so worked up about a headline) and a Blizzard Warning. 

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/45376-nws-hazards-simplification/

Archived