joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/7 - 1/9 Clipper system

SpartyOn

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As this clipper (really just a cold front) approaches the Chicago area at 03z Friday, the 925mb winds will be southwesterly at 40-50kts where the snow is occuring in IN, OH, and MI. There should not be enough mixing should not produce 50 kt wind gusts at the surface, but maybe some annoying 25-30mph winds will be in there.

FYI:

...LIGHT SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW DURING THE THURSDAY AFTERNOON AND
EVENING COMMUTE...

A CLIPPER SYSTEM WILL BRING A BRIEF SHOT OF LIGHT SNOW THURSDAY
AFTERNOON AND EVENING. SNOWFALL AMOUNTS MAY REACH 2 INCHES NEAR
THE WISCONSIN BORDER IN LAKE AND MCHENRY COUNTIES OF ILLINOIS...WITH AN
INCH POSSIBLE FROM CHICAGO NORTH...AND LIGHTER AMOUNTS SOUTH.
WHILE SNOWFALL AMOUNTS WILL BE RELATIVELY LIGHT...THIS SNOW WILL
FALL DURING THE EVENING COMMUTE THURSDAY. GUSTY WINDS DURING AND
AFTER THE SNOW WILL CREATE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW WHICH WILL
REDUCE VISIBILITIES AND CREATE ADDITIONAL TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES.

Lol @ that rgem snow map. What kind weenie algorithm are they using.

Those tropical tidbits maps are based off of progged surface temps.  With tomorrow being cold, it automatically assumes high ratios.  I've said it before but give me the Kuchera or instantweathermaps any day over some of these other outputs. 

Those tropical tidbits maps are based off of progged surface temps.  With tomorrow being cold, it automatically assumes high ratios.  I've said it before but give me the Kuchera or instantweathermaps any day over some of these other outputs. 

Yeah...the only reason I posted the snow map was because it helped to show the QPF "hot spots" a little better since the QPF maps were pretty vague

Winds look pretty frisky tomorrow with BUFKIT showing some 40+ mph gust potential in many areas.  Would not be surprised if the winter weather advisories are eventually expanded south, particularly if something more along the lines of the Canadian models looks more likely.

Winds look pretty frisky tomorrow with BUFKIT showing some 40+ mph gust potential in many areas. Would not be surprised if the winter weather advisories are eventually expanded south, particularly if something more along the lines of the Canadian models looks more likely.

Not a lock but would not be surprised if we issue a WWA for the northeastern third to half of the CWA.

Winds look pretty frisky tomorrow with BUFKIT showing some 40+ mph gust potential in many areas.  Would not be surprised if the winter weather advisories are eventually expanded south, particularly if something more along the lines of the Canadian models looks more likely.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me to see APX and GRR issue B-Word Warnings for the Lake Michigan shoreline...

Archived