• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/7 - 1/9 Clipper system

SpartyOn

Really looking forward to this event, as I live right by Lake Michigan on the lines of Muskegon and Ottawa counties. Currently under a Winter Storm Warning and calling for 12 to 15 inches of snow for us by Friday with 40 mph wind gusts. All this on top of the 14 inches of snow I currently have on the ground. Awesome winter week here!

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

21z SREF plumes have a mean of 5.1" at DTW (through 12z Friday).

It's been slowly but steadily increasing...

There's one member that has about 1.8" of snow (the rest are above 3"), but there's a fair number of members with amounts higher than 5.1" (no higher than 7").

Here in MN upstream from most of you, the models are all over the place, GFS/PGFS/NAM and the Rap keep the heavier snowfall just NE of MSP.  However the GEM/RegGem/HRRR all show heavier snow south of MSP as well.  Looking at the 850 maps it looks like there is fairly good agreement in the placement of the surface to h85 troughs.  I really don't see any reason why the later group of models is not to be believed, therefore I am leaning to the wetter more aggressive side of things. This holds true at H85 especially.

Here in MN upstream from most of you, the models are all over the place, GFS/PGFS/NAM and the Rap keep the heavier snowfall just NE of MSP. However the GEM/RegGem/HRRR all show heavier snow south of MSP as well. Looking at the 850 maps it looks like there is fairly good agreement in the placement of the surface to h85 troughs. I really don't see any reason why the later group of models is not to be believed, therefore I am leaning to the wetter more aggressive side of things. This holds true at H85 especially.

Perhaps as Hoosier pointed out, it could be due to how the models are handling low-level dry air.

21z SREF plumes have a mean of 5.1" at DTW (through 12z Friday).

It's been slowly but steadily increasing...

There's one member that has about 1.8" of snow (the rest are above 3"), but there's a fair number of members with amounts higher than 5.1" (no higher than 7").

This could be nasty as the cold front moves through if those winds materialize from the blowing snow alone.

6z NAM going towards the GEM/RGEM with .20"+ for most of the LOT CWA except far south and 3-4" for that area with a touch more on the WI side

Looks like a nice win for the GEM model suite.  Composite returns are showing snow aloft just west of MSP, this will only help saturate the column before the main snows get here.  The HRRR and the HOPWRF are in nice agreement.

12z  meso analysis making me think the stronger/southern guidance is doing better right now, at least relative to what the 6z Americans were selling at this time. Duration will be far too short for decent totals but I think we are a lock for at least a short period of real deal winter storm conditions.

12z  meso analysis making me think the stronger/southern guidance is doing better right now, at least relative to what the 6z Americans were selling at this time. Duration will be far too short for decent totals but I think we are a lock for at least a short period of real deal winter storm conditions.

yeah....may not reach the 3 hour criteria of blizzard conditions....but like you said, certainly an hour or 2 of fairly extreme conditions

yep, looks like south is the way to go with this one. Can already tell this thing is drifting in on the south end of guidance in the Dakotas. WAA doing some work though. Should be a decent but quick hit for some. First flakes flying here though column is still a little dry.

Hope that squally looking line maintains into LOT. Could be fun for a bit.

Going with 1.25" here.

NWS APX map look pretty good for us NWL folk. I bet a couple areas squeeze out 12+ depending on whee the heaviest LES bands setup. Should be a good weekend for winter sports if the wind can settle down. Will be some blizzard like conditions around here, schools are already closed today and tomorrow fro much of the area. 

File.png

yep, looks like south is the way to go with this one. Can already tell this thing is drifting in on the south end of guidance in the Dakotas. WAA doing some work though. Should be a decent but quick hit for some. First flakes flying here though column is still a little dry.

Hope that squally looking line maintains into LOT. Could be fun for a bit.

Going with 1.25" here.

I just realized theres a small area of north central MN (south Duluth-ish) with almost bare ground. Dealing with brutal cold day in and day out with brown ground....yikes.

initialized stronger than 6z with a bit more robust WAA at 850 but was definitely drier at 700 and it is keeping amounts in check

still going to show 1-3 for the area

yeah....fast puppy...the 6-hr QPF maps are deceiving...still a nice hit compared to expectations a few days ago...and it's keeping up the strength.

expectations are extremely tempered on the snowfall totals with this one...wind/snow combo looks most intriguing

edit....it still manages to spit out at least .2 QPF around parts of LOT though

yeah....fast puppy...the 6-hr QPF maps are deceiving...still a nice hit compared to expectations a few days ago...and it's keeping up the strength.

expectations are extremely tempered on the snowfall totals with this one...wind/snow combo looks most intriguing

at this point it looks like the window of snow/wind will only be about half an hour

at this point it looks like the window of snow/wind will only be about half an hour

true for snowfall and winds in congruence....but certainly plenty of hours to still blow around a few inches of freshly fallen fluff

you catch the sunrise on the lake this morning?  Looked pretty sweet from out here

Archived