• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
NNE Winter 2014-2015 Thread Part 2

klw

Yeah I'm reading that now, and still confused because none of the actual numbers have changed, lol.  They have said well over a foot in the past two days since yesterday, but the first number keeps changing.  Is that 6" of snow they got during the day today?  That'd be a good score because we really got nothing more than a half inch, maybe 3/4ths.

We miss John Atkinson, but I can understand with the two kids that getting up at 4am to measure snow and then work all day probably isn't the best set-up for a young family.  I'm going to cross that bridge at some point here too in the next couple years once my wife decides its time for kids. 

Jay Peak has always been good about sort of specifying when and how much snow...Smugg's report drives me nuts sometimes. 

Bolton's snow report is one of the best, IMO.  Mike does a great job with his info up there.  He worked at Guest Services at Stowe for a while before getting that marketing job at Bolton, and working at Guest Services will really show you how outsiders view a resort, haha.

The funny thing in the ski industry is we can all rag on each other to some extent, and sometimes outsiders interpret resorts as being critical of each other, but most folks know each other to some extent and its a lot more playful jabbing and ribbing.  The ski industry is pretty tight knit and resorts help each other out a lot...such as if a lift breaks or something happens, you lend a spare part or support as necessary.  Most folks have worked for various resorts and know each other too.

I ski Sugarbush every weekend.  I can never make sense of the snow report.  They attempt to report 3 different locations -- base, mid and top.  They also usually issue an afternoon update.  Sometimes it seems as if the top figures are not in at 6:30 am and then get updated in the pm.  Other times I cannot tell if the afternoon report includes the morning snow or is additional snow.  The one thing that I can say is that the MLK storm and Saturday am reports were under-reported, at least initially.  I think it is kind of like the Pirate's code -- its really just a guide.  The total snowfall does not match what has been individually reported. 

I actually check out Powderfreak reports for Stowe and then adjust upwards or downwards depending on the event to estimate Sugarbush snowfall and to assist with critical decisions like sick days, funeral for distant relatives, and automotive breakdowns.  I then check Mad River Glen for confirmation.  Thanks PF.  It would be great if all the mountains were as detailed as your reports. 

As for conditions, they are tremendous at Sugarbush (and others).  All sorts of lines are open both up high and down low.  Creek beds, marked glades, sidecountry and other things that I have not hit in several years are open for business.  Got caught up in the top of a 6 foot (or so) pine tree for awhile on Sunday and had to search for a pole in 5 feet or more of snow.  Good stuff.  Get out and get some. 

Hopefully, we get a monster.  If not, I would be happy if every year was a solid as this year. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ski Sugarbush every weekend.  I can never make sense of the snow report.  They attempt to report 3 different locations -- base, mid and top.  They also usually issue an afternoon update.  Sometimes it seems as if the top figures are not in at 6:30 am and then get updated in the pm.  Other times I cannot tell if the afternoon report includes the morning snow or is additional snow.  The one thing that I can say is that the MLK storm and Saturday am reports were under-reported, at least initially.  I think it is kind of like the Pirate's code -- its really just a guide.  The total snowfall does not match what has been individually reported. 

I actually check out Powderfreak reports for Stowe and then adjust upwards or downwards depending on the event to estimate Sugarbush snowfall and to assist with critical decisions like sick days, funeral for distant relatives, and automotive breakdowns.  I then check Mad River Glen for confirmation.  Thanks PF.  It would be great if all the mountains were as detailed as your reports. 

As for conditions, they are tremendous at Sugarbush (and others).  All sorts of lines are open both up high and down low.  Creek beds, marked glades, sidecountry and other things that I have not hit in several years are open for business.  Got caught up in the top of a 6 foot (or so) pine tree for awhile on Sunday and had to search for a pole in 5 feet or more of snow.  Good stuff.  Get out and get some. 

Hopefully, we get a monster.  If not, I would be happy if every year was a solid as this year. 

I like Sugarbush's approach of base, mid-mtn, and summit snowfall.  Personally I think you could get rid of mid-mountain as we aren't talking like Whistler-Blackcomb type vertical... but at least you know what they are trying to convey.  That was a John Atkinson thing I think, when he started doing the report, because he understands as a skier what you want to know.   I'm not a fan of mountains reporting just 1 snowfall number, because its usually the highest. 

Regarding summit snowfall reports changing or updating during the day... it happens and can happen often.  The 6am upper mountain reading is a reliance on the grooming department to check, and depending on their schedule or who is working or the situation at the time, or if its really gusty and drifting, sometimes that top number is an educated guess at 6am, which is why you can see it low balled until the morning update time.  What I consider the "official" summit number on the report comes out at that 9am update time.  I'm lucky right now in that the grooming department is real snowfall savvy and enjoys checking so I can get a really good idea, but I haven't actually seen that stake for myself at 6am.  But that's standard at all mountains, in the east and west.  Out west, grooming often reports it to Ski Patrol for snow safety concerns.  When in doubt though, go low at 6am, and once you get on the hill and come back, you can bump it up at 8-9am...but not at like 1:30pm. 

Anyway, as folks on the forum know by the amount I post here, I'm really passionate about this stuff and providing timely accurate information.  That knowledge and intimate weather awareness may not be as present in some other folks.  All I really wanted to do as a kid was wake up early, wander through the woods on a mountain with a headlamp checking snowfall and weather, and then go ski it, haha.  I just know when I'm 60 years old I'll be looking back and be like "remember when you were in your 20s and got paid to measure snow, ski it, and take powder photos?  Those were the good ol' days."

Maybe but I think it looks like a good regional system...though I'm more focused on the mountains which for whatever reason always do good in clippers. I think the ski areas can get 6+ out of that, especially if it bombs out with NW winds. All those NW wind and 0.01" QPF maps can work out just fine in the mountains. Remember we got up to 10" on Friday night from a model forecast of 0.02" of QPF.

Agree that Thursday-Fri event looks like a classic Mtw 5-7", Stowe town 2-3" BTV 1-2" ....

looks like some nice snow increasing across merrimack co.  sorry you are missing that Gene.

I had my 150" or so in 2007/8.   I'll take living up here with Memorial Day snowstorms and CAD anytime over 3 snowstorms.  I'm glad everyone down there is so excited.  For months at a time they miss out.  It just seems the past couple of years everything is SE.  It will all even out!

Maybe but I think it looks like a good regional system...though I'm more focused on the mountains which for whatever reason always do good in clippers. I think the ski areas can get 6+ out of that, especially if it bombs out with NW winds. All those NW wind and 0.01" QPF maps can work out just fine in the mountains. Remember we got up to 10" on Friday night from a model forecast of 0.02" of QPF.

I've been very pleased with this winter and am perfectly happy with slightly above average. We live in a snowy enough climate to do that. There's like 20-24" on the ground around the homestead, 36" at the office, and up to like 80" in the high elevations. The last real thaw was Christmas and we've had really consistent snowfalls since mid-November. Also have had snow cover of at least 1" since like Thanksgiving.

We had several storms where it was dumping up here and pouring in SNE, gotta spread the love. Usually when SNE gets in the zone, we get shafted but there's been 89" at the ski area upper mountain in the last month, and that keeps me satisfied haha.

It's the solid base we got in December and lack of our usual dreaded January thaw, that really is setting this winter apart. The snowfall total is just average, but without the thaw, it has been just building and building, refreshing and refreshing.

Like sgottman said, there is some stuff open now that we haven't seen in a few seasons. I mean there are pillow lines in some creeks that are usually no go zones.

Forecast is for some nasty cold this weekend.

It's the solid base we got in December and lack of our usual dreaded January thaw, that really is setting this winter apart. The snowfall total is just average, but without the thaw, it has been just building and building, refreshing and refreshing.

Like sgottman said, there is some stuff open now that we haven't seen in a few seasons. I mean there are pillow lines in some creeks that are usually no go zones.

Forecast is for some nasty cold this weekend.

Yeah, it truly has been special from a skiing standpoint and the potential is there for something more special in March. Just think if this keeps going, and then we have like a normal 5-6 foot March at the ski areas? Just normal with no thaws equals epic skiing and riding for the rest of the year.

That's why this reminds me of 2010-2011...no big thaws after Christmas. The snowfall at the ski areas was near normal at like 330" at Stowe, but with no big thaws for a couple months, that's a Colorado snowpack and conditions. It is true, light dry powder adds up over time. Everyone on this forum likes to get the wet heavy base snow, but that's just because you assume it'll rain. If it doesn't thaw, bring on the oodles of powder. I like seeing snow stack straight up and evenly on all surfaces. Heck I saw a fence today with like 18" on the top rail. Just pile it up like a Norman Rockwell painting.

We haven't been in the jackpot relative to normal, but normal is so good here that as long as we have that, those big storms down south don't bother me. Now if the skiing sucked, I'd be losing it like some in SNE were 3 weeks ago, but as long as this like 90" in 30 days type pace keeps up on the mountains, I hope they get 10 feet of snow down there.

I am hoping for a little overperformance with the clipper but I know it won't make up for the bust we just had. I was hoping to see a solid add to our snowpack but it seems to be more break even for now. After the clipper looks like we enter the frozen desert for a bit.

Picked up another 1.8" yesterday bringing the four-day total to 10.2".

Heresy I know but I could actually use a little break from the snow--there's plenty to play in.  :pimp:

Now up to 67.8" for the season which is nearly 'right on track' for the date at this locale. 

As others have said, the lack of thaws/cutters/rain has allowed the snow to build up--old crusty high density stuff underneath that goes all the way back to Thanksgiving and now quite a bit of cold soft stuff on top.  28" at the stake this morning. 

We picked up another .6 yesterday to bring our "event" total to 8.1 since Friday night.

I was just checking and it looks like Peacham has not been above freezing since Jan 19 when we hit 33 for about 6 hours.  Before that it was Jan 5 at 3:05 am.  We have had a snowpack since the November 26th storm.  Not a bad stretch and the earliest we established a snowpack in our 6 winters at this house.  The piles behind the house are getting big though we probably only have 20- 22 inches in the undisturbed areas in the backyard.  I should go back there and measure.

http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KVTPEACH2#history/s20150119/e20150119/mdaily

Event totals: 7.6” Snow/0.56" L.E.

I didn't get a chance to send along yesterday's snowfall data from the evening, so I've got that below.  This latest round of snow must have had a little better flake structure because the density finally came down from those very high 12-14% H2O values we were seeing for a time, and it was of more typical synoptic density at 9.1% H2O.  That should mark the end of the snow from Winter Storm Marcus, which with the rest of the snow from the weekend period brought 10.6" snow/0.63" L.E.  Although not an exorbitant period of snowfall, there was enough liquid equivalent in there that I had to pull out the snow thrower last night because my wife's car with the older winter tires couldn't quite get up the driveway.  It was definitely due to that dense snow in there, which sort of behaves like sand and is difficult to push around.

Details from the 7:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.10 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 11.0

Snow Density: 9.1% H2O

Temperature: 19.4 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 20.0"

Finding the correct storm totals for these longer events can be challenging; between being out at 72-hours now, and the fact that there was the previous storm on Friday, it's getting very difficult.  Anyway, below are my best estimates for what the Vermont ski areas received from Winter Storm Marcus, listed north to south as usual.  The totals in the southern part of the state are in the 20-24" range, with totals of more like ± 10" in the northern half of the state:

Jay Peak: 12”

Burke: 7”

Smuggler’s Notch: 9”

Stowe: 9”

Bolton Valley: 10”

Mad River Glen: 9”

Sugarbush: 15”

Pico: 18”

Killington: 18”

Okemo: 14”

Bromley: 20”

Stratton: 22”

Mount Snow: 22”

Nice break in the clouds moving south 29 and sunny!

30.4F and sunnny

Torch.

What a glorious and obnoxiously bright day.  Gold finches on the feeder and it's about 85 degrees in the greenhouse.  Sunset is not until 5:09.  

A+

Wow, cloudy and 21° over here.  Thought we might see some sun but it hasn't happened yet.

I'm hoping they get another 3-5 feet at this point.  I want the bar to be set so high that future winters bring them nothing but heartbreak and despair.  Sort of like what 2007/2008 did for me.   :)

No more snow needed to accomplish that. Every rough stretch will have people believing a 70" turnaround in 3 weeks is on the horizon.

Looks like Thu is looking more like a non-event.

Huh? for the coast?

from BTV

SOUTHWEST FLOW WILL INCREASE OUT AHEAD OF THE CLIPPER ON

WEDNESDAY NIGHT WITH PERIODS OF SNOW SHOWERS BREAKING

OUT...ESPECIALLY ACROSS NORTHERN NEW YORK. HOWEVER THE BEST

FORCING WILL PASS SOUTH OF THE REGION...SPAWNING A COASTAL LOW OFF

OF THE MID ATLANTIC COASTLINE ON THURSDAY. STILL EXPECTING TO SEE

WIDESPREAD SNOW SHOWERS THOUGH AS NORTHERN STREAM TROUGH/COLD

FRONT CROSS THE REGION ON THURSDAY. VERY COLD AIR RUSHES IN BEHIND

THE DEPARTING SYSTEM ON THURSDAY NIGHT WITH RAPIDLY FALLING

LOW/MID LEVEL TEMPERATURES. LOOKS LIKE SOME UPSLOPE SNOW SHOWERS

WILL CONTINUE INTO THURSDAY NIGHT AS WELL BEFORE DRIER AIR BEGINS

TO WORK INTO THE REGION. TOTAL SNOWFALL WILL BE ON THE LIGHT

SIDE...GENERALLY 1-3" WITH SOME 4-6" AMOUNTS POSSIBLE IN THE

HIGHEST ELEVATIONS.

Huh? for the coast?

from BTV

SOUTHWEST FLOW WILL INCREASE OUT AHEAD OF THE CLIPPER ON

WEDNESDAY NIGHT WITH PERIODS OF SNOW SHOWERS BREAKING

OUT...ESPECIALLY ACROSS NORTHERN NEW YORK. HOWEVER THE BEST

FORCING WILL PASS SOUTH OF THE REGION...SPAWNING A COASTAL LOW OFF

OF THE MID ATLANTIC COASTLINE ON THURSDAY. STILL EXPECTING TO SEE

WIDESPREAD SNOW SHOWERS THOUGH AS NORTHERN STREAM TROUGH/COLD

FRONT CROSS THE REGION ON THURSDAY. VERY COLD AIR RUSHES IN BEHIND

THE DEPARTING SYSTEM ON THURSDAY NIGHT WITH RAPIDLY FALLING

LOW/MID LEVEL TEMPERATURES. LOOKS LIKE SOME UPSLOPE SNOW SHOWERS

WILL CONTINUE INTO THURSDAY NIGHT AS WELL BEFORE DRIER AIR BEGINS

TO WORK INTO THE REGION. TOTAL SNOWFALL WILL BE ON THE LIGHT

SIDE...GENERALLY 1-3" WITH SOME 4-6" AMOUNTS POSSIBLE IN THE

HIGHEST ELEVATIONS.

For The BTV area. The models have come in a bit drier and my zones have been cut to about an inch or less.

Archived