SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter 2014-2015 Thread Part 2

klw

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12Z GFS even looks better.   Couple ticks west and were good for quite a storm with snow,cold and high winds.  What's a tick anyhow?  A new AMWX term?     To me one tick is 25 miles or so!

Would be nice if it pans out. Getting a little tired of SE MA and downeast cashing in. Not that I'm complaining, but those MA guys are getting cocky lately. :snowing:

which event are you referring to?  sunday?

Hitman, yes this weekend.  Tomorrow is a miss.  Euro has joined GFS for a big storm along the coast.  This one will feature super cold temperatures and with a pressure in the 960's very high winds.  Boston could get blasted again.  Just epic.  Another possible storm next week and if its west abit I could forsee many roof failures down there.

Hitman, yes this weekend.  Tomorrow is a miss.  Euro has joined GFS for a big storm along the coast.  This one will feature super cold temperatures and with a pressure in the 960's very high winds.  Boston could get blasted again.  Just epic.  Another possible storm next week and if its west abit I could forsee many roof failures down there.

that's what I thought.  snow dance commencing.  sunday would really be perfect timing for me.  wagons west.

There you are.  I thought the cold had finally driven you away and you were camping on the doorsteps of HFO begging for a transfer.

Haha I'm floating around, planning my escape route (lol). I did however take a much needed little vacation to the keys at the beginning of the month. :thumbsup:

Not looking forward to this weekend though...

This is the opposite of Key West:

From BTV...

Sunday will be brutally cold. There is no other way to describe that forecast. As the clipper bomb becomes fully materialized offshore the cold air will keep maximum temperatures from rising very much. Looking at naefs ensembles the mean 850 temperatures across the area ranges from -24 to -28 which approaches a 5-10 year return period. Individual deterministic runs show 850 temperatures near -30 across most of northern New York with -26 to -28 across Vermont. This will cause temperatures to top out near 0 in the Champlain Valley and maximum temperatures of -4 to -8 across the higher terrain of both New York and Vermont as well as the Saint Lawrence valley. The pressure gradient from the offshore low will cause north westerly 10-20 miles per hour winds for nearly all day on Sunday resulting in wind chills of -20 to -30 during the day on Sunday with -40 to -50 at the summits.

This is the opposite of Key West:

From BTV...

Sunday will be brutally cold. There is no other way to describe that forecast. As the clipper bomb becomes fully materialized offshore the cold air will keep maximum temperatures from rising very much. Looking at naefs ensembles the mean 850 temperatures across the area ranges from -24 to -28 which approaches a 5-10 year return period. Individual deterministic runs show 850 temperatures near -30 across most of northern New York with -26 to -28 across Vermont. This will cause temperatures to top out near 0 in the Champlain Valley and maximum temperatures of -4 to -8 across the higher terrain of both New York and Vermont as well as the Saint Lawrence valley. The pressure gradient from the offshore low will cause north westerly 10-20 miles per hour winds for nearly all day on Sunday resulting in wind chills of -20 to -30 during the day on Sunday with -40 to -50 at the summits.

Its a big deal when we dont make 70...wci in the 30s get us to an advisory...anyway, looking forward to Vermont powder tomorrow

This tidbit from the Miami afd..

STRUGGLE TO REACH 70 ON FRIDAY WITH MAYBE THE LOWER 70S ACROSS THE

Event totals: 1.0” Snow/0.01" L.E.

We've had some pretty dry snow so far this season, such as on the front end of the last system and the one before it, but this is the first notable accumulation in the 100:1 range.  The point forecast here calls for total accumulations of 3-6".

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.0 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 100.0

Snow Density: 1.0% H2O

Temperature: 18.5 F

Sky: Light Snow (3-15 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 18.5"

Brian,  why are we looking to be in such a screw zone for the weekend storm?  Is it a NNE wind downsloping us from the Whites?   Such a strong system with such little QPF.   Would there be a deformation band somewhere.

8 or 9" has been my biggest storm this year, don't expect more but the cold and wind will make it brutal.

Awaiting eek's prediction for me as we get closer in,  he seems to be close to spot on with every storm.

Next week looks interesting too with a Miller A type system or s SWFE.  Maybe that will over perform.

Event totals: 1.8” Snow/0.03" L.E.

There seemed to be more snow back toward the mountains than I saw in the middle of Waterbury this afternoon, so there's probably a bit of orographic enhancement going on.

Details from the 5:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 40.0

Snow Density: 2.5% H2O

Temperature: 20.5 F

Sky: Light Snow (3-12 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 18.0"

For those Vermont ski areas that have put out afternoon updates for this system, the north to south listing of available snowfall totals is below showing generally 3-4" up north, and a couple inches down south:

Jay Peak: 4”

Smuggler’s Notch: 2”

Stowe: 3”

Bolton Valley: 3”

Mad River Glen: 4”

Sugarbush: 3”

Pico: 2”

Killington: 2”

Stratton: 2”

Mount Snow: 3”

Archived