Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter 2014-2015 Thread Part 2

klw

Event totals: 3.0” Snow/0.07" L.E.

The snowfall was in the inch per hour range for a couple of hours around midnight last night, and it looks like the mountains topped out around a foot - classic Green Mountain inch.  Like last night, the snow density hung in the 2% H2O range, so I'd say bring the fat skis.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 2.3 inches
New Liquid: 0.06 inches
Snow/Water Ratio: 38.3
Snow Density: 2.6% H2O
Temperature: 13.6 F
Sky: Mostly Cloudy
Snow at the stake: 18.5"

The north to south listing of available snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas; it looks like totals peaked in the Bolton Valley-Mad River Glen area:

Jay Peak: 8”
Burke: 2”
Smuggler’s Notch: 2”
Stowe: 8”
Bolton Valley: 9”
Mad River Glen: 12”
Sugarbush: 10”
Middlebury: 2”
Pico: 2”
Killington: 2”
Okemo: 0”
Bromley: 0”
Magic Mountain: 1”
Stratton: 0”
Mount Snow: 0”

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pure insanity out there.  Getting to the snow stake and snow board is challenging at this point on the upper mountain. 

Found 9.5" of new snow on the board overnight.  Had the deepest turns of my life I'm pretty sure down the first 500 feet of Waterfall today, skiers left.  Bugs Bunny style burrowing the whole way, I don't think I saw anything till I hit the upper Switchback traverse.  Wind must've put about 3 feet on the skiers left of the driest powder ever.

This is absolutely incredible.

The Greens continue to produce the best skiing in the country... 3 days this week with a 24 hour total of 10" or more on the big hill.

I thought it was ridiculous the other day, then today topped that.  Some spots have like 40" of unconsolidated powder from the past 10 days.

10421519_10102130503490790_3184069826496

The Northeast is basically the only portion of the country seeing winter right now.

Wow. Just wow.

Sb reported 4" this morning. There was at least 8-10" up top. So much snow. Blower. Face shots. Lather rinse repeat.

SB just updated their total to 10" at 1:50pm.  I've noticed a pattern in that there's one person that seems to be very low or is unsure or something, then I think its John Atkinson (the Stoke Exchange, Reporter, and Video/Photo guy) comes in and is like, this report is wrong, time to increase those amounts. 

It can be hard your first couple years doing that job.  When you are sitting at the base at 5am, you have to have that sort of sixth sense and a good rapport with the groomers to know if something special happened up high.  Its hard to believe sometimes how much snow can increase with elevation around these parts.

Looking like another 6-12" snowfall for Central NH.  Long duration, low impact.  Couple of sunny days and it will compact down to 5 or 6  inches.  Will be interesting to see what happens in SNE.  I know the models are spitting out these crazy numbers but as a non met I just don't see where they are coming from, especially up here.  Hope I'm pleasantly surprised and digging out of 14-18" in a couple of days.

Pretty soon people will only recognize me from my mittens and helmet top. Pics from todays backcountry adventures pretty much only show these two parts of my body. 

Add another foot of fluff to that? Ok. Sounds good. 

Though I will say the WRF high res doesn't support 12+ of snow at normal ratios north of Killington.  That said today the northern greens turned .1" water into to 10" of snow soooooooooo what the F does a model know. 

I'm going to get fired. No two ways about that. 

SB just updated their total to 10" at 1:50pm.  I've noticed a pattern in that there's one person that seems to be very low or is unsure or something, then I think its John Atkinson (the Stoke Exchange, Reporter, and Video/Photo guy) comes in and is like, this report is wrong, time to increase those amounts. 

It can be hard your first couple years doing that job.  When you are sitting at the base at 5am, you have to have that sort of sixth sense and a good rapport with the groomers to know if something special happened up high.  Its hard to believe sometimes how much snow can increase with elevation around these parts.

I think you are a 100% right. I got there at 7:30 and ran into a patroller who told me there was close to a foot up top. But if the guy who does the snow report, is who I think it is, he doesn't go up top to check. John is crazy busy and doesn't correct things until later.

Trying to buy myself another day by convincing the wife that the kids won't have school Monday. Tangled web we weave.

Snowglobe has begun here.  About an inch so far (since 7am, meaning)--more air than snow but the snow itself has some excellent flake structure.

Amazing how warm 20F felt today--even had a bit of sun during the late morning/early afternoon.

MA:  don't care

CT:  don't care

RI: nobody cares

^ !

It can be hard your first couple years doing that job.  When you are sitting at the base at 5am, you have to have that sort of sixth sense and a good rapport with the groomers to know if something special happened up high.  It's hard to believe sometimes how much snow can increase with elevation around these parts.

Yeah, that 4" sitting next to 12" at Mad River Glen was pretty hard to fathom; I updated the Sugarbush total in my post from earlier today.

Event totals: 1.2” Snow/0.02" L.E.

From what I can tell, last night's 3.0" can stand as the accumulation from a discrete event (weak disturbance coming out of the Great Lakes) and I'm putting today's snow as the front end of this upcoming long duration overrunning event.

Details from the 4:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 60.0

Snow Density: 1.7% H2O

Temperature: 19.4 F

Sky: Light Snow (5-12 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 19.0"

Similar to the results from the past two rounds of snow density analyses, today's accumulation again came in right around that 2% H2O range, and not surprisingly, the powder skiing is simply going off.  At Bolton Valley today I measured surface powder depths of 29" at 2,000', and 36" at 2,700'; I've added a few shots below:

07FEB15E.jpg

07FEB15C.jpg

07FEB15F.jpg

07FEB15D.jpg

There's been another 1.8" down here at the house since the 4:00 P.M. analyses, and based on what I'm seeing it's got that similarly ridiculous loft to what's been falling of late.  I'm planning on the next analysis at 10:00 P.M.

Winter Storm Warnings cover most of the area now, as seen on the latest BTV NWS advisories map below:

07FEB15A.jpg

Looks like BTV backed down a little:

07FEB15B.jpg

That doesn’t seem too far off from the one I posted yesterday – was there a big change in the morning update that I missed?

I do like the consistency in the next five periods of our graphical point forecast though, summing the periods comes in with 8-17":

07FEB15G.jpg

Event totals: 3.0” Snow/0.06" L.E.

The snow density was 2.2% for the past six hours' accumulation, so fairly in line with what has been falling over the past 24 hours.  The flakes are pretty small right now, but continuation with densities like this will definitely result in a notable disparity between recorded snowfall and the depth observed at the end of the storm period.  I've got the cam snowboard monitoring the settled accumulation for the entire period starting with last night's snow, so I'll be able to see the disparity between snowfall and snow depth as time goes on.  Currently for the period, snowfall is 6.0" from 0.13" liquid, while settled depth is a bit shy of 4".

Details from the 10:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.8 inches

New Liquid: 0.04 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 45.0

Snow Density: 2.2% H2O

Temperature: 12.7 F

Sky: Light Snow (1-3 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 20.0"

1.8" here overnight with very light snow falling atm.

11F.

1" overnight last night and about 3" so far this afternoon and evening. Rode the snowmobile about 100 miles through this part of Washington and adjacent Orange counties and we are nearing "****-load" levels of snow in the woods.

Yeah, we have 2'+ otg right now and I imagine it's even deeper over in Washington and just above us at Vershire Heights...

Event totals: 4.1” Snow/0.15" L.E.

The snow density jumped up significantly overnight, which isn't surprising when you're running at ~2% H2O.  It's interesting to note though that overnight's 1.1" contained 50% more liquid than then entire 3.0" from yesterday.

Details from the 7:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.1 inches

New Liquid: 0.09 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 12.2

Snow Density: 8.2% H2O

Temperature: 9.1 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 18.0"

I've put together the north to south listing of available snowfall totals from the Vermont ski areas for this event so far – 3" is pretty typical up and down the spine with Bolton Valley reporting 5" at the top end:

Jay Peak: 2”

Burke: 3”

Smuggler’s Notch: 3”

Stowe: 3”

Bolton Valley: 5”

Mad River Glen: 1”

Sugarbush: 2”

Middlebury: 2”

Pico: 3.5”

Killington: 3.5”

Okemo: 2”

Bromley: 4”

Magic Mountain: 3”

Stratton: 3”

Mount Snow: 3”

The advisories map for this event doesn't seem to have changed from yesterday, but I've put the latest projected accumulations map from the BTV NWS below; it seems to have just subtle changes from the last version:

08FEB15A.jpg

There hasn't been much in the way of snowfall here at the house this morning, but snow has started to pick up now.

Archived