SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter 2014-2015 Thread Part 2

klw

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Starting off the heart of winter with cold and bare ground. Let's change the bare ground part! :) Anyway it will be interesting to see how cold we can get Wed night/Thu morning. Winds will likely prevent ideal radiational cooling.

The quasi-chinook never really got to Maine - some coastal spots reached low 40s, but PWM topped out at 35, AUG at 27.  My place got a bit over 30 at 5 this morning, but we still have all of the weekend event, 10" at the stake.  I'm glad of that, because the 5" of frozen slush left behind by the Grinch had very little insulation value.  The added 5" will help keep this week's cold from driving frost deep underground (or spoiling the carrots I overwinter beneath a leaf mulch.)

It's been snowing most of the day...like flurries type stuff of small arctic flakes with high visibility. I'm not sure if it's actually shut off at any point today. But no accums aside from a half inch at 3000ft...it's just too windy and the snow is too light.

Maybe we'll see a little resurgence.

To say the landscape is a sheet of ice is an understatement.  The moderate rain showers last evening made things even worse.  Briefly got up to the upper 30's with strong winds that cleaned the trees off nicely. The crust is not strong enough to hold me, the deer must be cutting their legs up pretty bad.

post-268-0-00958900-1420489098_thumb.jpg

To say the landscape is a sheet of ice is an understatement.  The moderate rain showers last evening made things even worse.  Briefly got up to the upper 30's with strong winds that cleaned the trees off nicely. The crust is not strong enough to hold me, the deer must be cutting their legs up pretty bad.

holy fook, break out the crampons (or ice skates).

Looks the same here. It's beautiful to look at.

17.7F

Here the pack is glaciated but not glazed like that...it can pretty much support a normal adult male. 

Looks pretty dirty due to the winds over the last 24 hours shredding the trees.  Saw quite a few limbs down around town today, even an uprooted tree.  We don't usually get wind like this down in the valley here, but last night and again this afternoon we've had some real good pulses of wind.

Dirty snowpack around my place...

Starting off the heart of winter with cold and bare ground. Let's change the bare ground part! :) Anyway it will be interesting to see how cold we can get Wed night/Thu morning. Winds will likely prevent ideal radiational cooling.

Definitely the drawback of BTV in the winter is bare ground...its not unusual to melt out completely several times, as I'm sure you've found out.  But I still loved living there, best small city you'll ever find, though snow retention is not one of the strengths there.  Even yesterday's event was a solid net gain here, as it seemed not much if any of the snowfall melted even with the rain and upper 30s yesterday afternoon. 

Was looking at some of the peak gusts in the area today...not too shabby.

Gilford (Gunstock) 61mph

Sunapee 55mph

LCI 52mph

Eek 48mph

Moultonborough 46mph

DAW 46mph

Chatham 45mph

Plymouth St. 44mph

1P1 44mph

LEB 43mph

Center Harbor 41mph

Nice.  Just a quick look at the VT ASOS stations shows...

BTV...44mph

MVL...44mph

MPV...41mph

12F.   Wind was really cranking last night.  My highest gust was 44mph on the Davis and I am shielded to the NW.

Trying to renew my AMWX and having a heck of a time.  I have emailed help but it will not let me renew, says I have but nothing on my CC.  Seems like a more difficult interface this year or I'm getting older and dumber!

12F.   Wind was really cranking last night.  My highest gust was 44mph on the Davis and I am shielded to the NW.

Trying to renew my AMWX and having a heck of a time.  I have emailed help but it will not let me renew, says I have but nothing on my CC.  Seems like a more difficult interface this year or I'm getting older and dumber!

Gene...I don't even see your failed invoice in the system...unless you are using another name.

Gene...I don't even see your failed invoice in the system...unless you are using another name.

Brian,  I am logged in as my username  wxeyeNH.   I click the $25 to my cart and its says "Oops, something went wrong you are already renewed".   I would be happy to send a check or private message you or whoever takes care of this and give my  CC number.

Gene

Same message i got.

Logged out  ( I use Chrome).  Went to IE and logged back in to AMWX.  Clicked the $25 and it said there was an invoice pending from yesterday  (that's when I first tried it using my CC).  Anyhow went to that invoice and used Paypal and it worked.  Hope we are not losing revenue if it happened to you too Lava Rock...

Now back to weather, down to 10.3F with occ. howls of wind through the woods.

This looks interesting...

Wednesday...Snow showers likely with possible snow squalls likely. Snow may be heavy at times. Snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible. Highs around 9 above. Temperature falling to around 3 below in the afternoon. West winds around 10 mph...becoming northwest 15 to 20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph in the afternoon. Chance of snow 70 percent. Wind chill values as low as 30 below.

was at my dad's house in NH last night, all I can say is wow, never seen snowpack (~3") that bulletproof. i am around 250 lbs, and had no problem walking across the top of the "snow". in fact i almost slipped and fell when my feet didn't dig in. way cool stuff, just wish there was more of it

Archived