joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter 2014-2015 Thread Part 2

klw

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A quick inch fell here... with 1.4" falling in the last 24 hours including 0.4" through this AM.

I saw MVL went down to SN+ for a time...it was really coming down.  My co-worker has 3.5-3.75" at 3,000ft as of 12pm she said.

KMVL 071654Z AUTO VRB06KT 1/4SM +SN VV010 M09/M12 A2971 AO2 SLP077 P0000 T10941122 TSNO

Here's outside in town right now...

It was a big nothing here. I charged the camera for nothing LOL. Oh well, it was about 5 minutes of 3/4 mile vis and that was all. I wish I would have time to head up toward Milton/St. Albans where it looked more robust.

Similar here in St. J.  It moved through about 12:45 while I was out running.  Visibility was about 50 yards for about a minute but all in all it left less than a tenth of an inch in town. 

Mansfield stake hit an important marking today at 40" of depth...that's sort of a general benchmark for off-piste skiing & riding when the woods become decently ok to ski.  Once we hit 60" everything is in, but at 40" you can really start to explore a bit more.

The snow depth has gone up 4" in the past day or two (despite only capturing 1.4" of new snow), so the new snow is helping.  We ended the day with 3.75-4.0" at 3,000ft over 24 hours which would match the snow depth increase a bit better.

STATION            PRECIP   TEMPERATURE   PRESENT         SNOW
                   24 HRS   MAX MIN CUR   WEATHER     NEW TOTAL SWE
...VERMONT...
MOUNT MANSFIELD     0.13     0 -16 -16                1.4  40

Thanks.

Yeah going to be cold this week but it seems like a standard January cold shot...well below normal but not record stuff and short duration. Luckily it seems like only one or two days may be a bit miserable...particularly Thursday morning will be brutal. But again, northern mountains in mid January, it's sort of expected to some degree.

Yeah this seems to happen at least once per year (except 11-12 where it struggled to get to zero once) where there's a nasty stretch of a couple of days and we need Wind Chill Warnings. Of course last year was several times! Although I guess it remains to be seen how cold it actually gets.

EDIT: Just to clarify I'm talking about Northern New England. It's obviously more rare elsewhere.

-6F now with light snow continuing to fall. Been surprised at how tenacious this snow is...been snowing lightly since 9-10am. Of course only 1-2" in town of wind-blown arctic sand but adding to the wintery feel to have constant flakes falling.

Oh and it's -21 now on Mansfield and the bottom is falling out.

-6F now with light snow continuing to fall. Been surprised at how tenacious this snow is...been snowing lightly since 9-10am. Of course only 1-2" in town of wind-blown arctic sand but adding to the wintery feel to have constant flakes falling.

image.jpg

Oh and it's -21 now on Mansfield and the bottom is falling out.

image.jpg

Nice. Wish we had snow here , but shot is pretty cool.

You skiing tomorrow or just getting up here in the evening? I'll be available for a few runs on Friday, then my folks are in town for the weekend so I'll be entertaining them.

Getting up there tomorrow evening and skiing Friday and Saturday. Can't wait to get up there... Conditions should be decent I think.

Getting up there tomorrow evening and skiing Friday and Saturday. Can't wait to get up there... Conditions should be decent I think.

My fear is that it's getting scoured hard tonight...the high winds make it hard to put today's snow to use as it's probably all in the woods now haha. Fridays clipper should drop another 2-4" though so hopefully we can have something decent for a surface.

But the cold temps like this just creat a for surface on their own...it's not ice, but more just really firm, hard, cold snow. It'll get nice when it warms up a bit because even at 20F (which is 40 degrees warmer than it is now up there) the snow will loosen up a bit and it'll push around a bit better.

And there's not a huge snowpack (I think it was 7.5" this morning on the CoCoRAHS report) but it's something and it looks like winter in town.

My fear is that it's getting scoured hard tonight...the high winds make it hard to put today's snow to use as it's probably all in the woods now haha. Fridays clipper should drop another 2-4" though so hopefully we can have something decent for a surface.

But the cold temps like this just creat a for surface on their own...it's not ice, but more just really firm, hard, cold snow. It'll get nice when it warms up a bit because even at 20F (which is 40 degrees warmer than it is now up there) the snow will loosen up a bit and it'll push around a bit better.

And there's not a huge snowpack (I think it was 7.5" this morning on the CoCoRAHS report) but it's something and it looks like winter in town.

I just weenied out and drove up to Bolton and the "arctic dust" was coming down at a good clip with the moon fully out. It was sticking to the road quite effectively and there was definitely a solid new covering in the woods on the way up. As you said the wind was scouring things to be sure. My car read -14 in the parking lot but compared to wundermap readings it was consistantely a degree or two too warm.

10405330_10102349868187229_4647792987059

I have to say I am impressed with nothing close to ideal radiational cooling out there.

I doubt there's really any radiational cooling going on right now. Probably pretty well mixed and the coldest temps should be elevational dependent. Also wouldn't be surprised to see a little rise in temperatures later tonight as the core of the cold air moves out. Then IF anyone can decouple maybe they can fall again.

Archived