Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter 2014-2015 Thread Part 2

klw

That. Was. Cold.  

Went to do something adventurous high on Mt. Mansfield.  About as bad as it gets up thereout without being simply verboten.   Utterly amazed that people were actually skiing the resort. It was ROUGH.  

I like winter a lot. It can warm up now. 

I actually thought it wasn't that bad, but I was making laps off the gondola and in the trees where there's some good wind-blown snow.  I'm not sure I would've hiked around up on the ridge though, haha.

Quad wasn't too bad, cold but I almost feel like we are getting used to this now, haha.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually thought it wasn't that bad, but I was making laps off the gondola and in the trees where there's some good wind-blown snow.  I'm not sure I would've hiked around up on the ridge though, haha.

Quad wasn't too bad, cold but I almost feel like we are getting used to this now, haha.

That's a good point. In the sun, down out of the wind it wasn't that bad. It was only about 0. Zero isn't really anything this winter.  

Bolton is really tough today..made it to the top on vista quad..nothing short of a ground blizzard up there..12 below at the summit

Vista is down for the count as well now. It is a lost day for Bolton. This is one thing that kills them fairly often.

Vista is down for the count as well now. It is a lost day for Bolton. This is one thing that kills them fairly often.

We were able to run all day on all uphill lifts...only the transfer gondola was on hold for a couple hours this morning.  I was pleasantly surprised we could keep everything running.

Not a day for the faint of heart here.  No new snow to speak of ouside of a trace but it's been cold & blowing all day.  Started at 8F and was down to 0F by mid-morning.  -2F now.

Watcing today's time lapse of the lake tomorrow (always posted the next day) should be fun.  Just looking at the cam now shows how windy it's been.  It's a N-S oriented lake with steep hills on either side so it can really rip--funnel effect and all. 

http://www.lakemoreyresort.com/webcam

Epic snowblowing today--sent out some impressive downwind streamers. 

Very surprised to hear how you Mainers got skunked.  I saw some high numbers from coastal York Co, but that's about it.

Very surprised to hear how you Mainers got skunked.  I saw some high numbers from coastal York Co, but that's about it.

Also eastern Washington County. Robbinston tops with 25.4" just before noon, another 23" for EPO. For both counties, the heavy snow didn't extend very far inland - places 20 miles from tidewater saw about 6".

Measured 1.5" from 0.10" LE at my place. Windy, but nothing extraordinary - max gusts mid 30s. Temp actually reached double digits for the first time since Wednesday, though not by much and it's down close to zero now. Saw this one slipping away early yesterday, as gfs runs kept lowering qpf, but our forecast was still for 12-18" yesterday afternoon, so it ranks with the worst busts I can recall. Nice to have deep deep winter despite that.

Not a day for the faint of heart here.  No new snow to speak of ouside of a trace but it's been cold & blowing all day.  Started at 8F and was down to 0F by mid-morning.  -2F now.

Watcing today's time lapse of the lake tomorrow (always posted the next day) should be fun.  Just looking at the cam now shows how windy it's been.  It's a N-S oriented lake with steep hills on either side so it can really rip--funnel effect and all. 

http://www.lakemoreyresort.com/webcam

Epic snowblowing today--sent out some impressive downwind streamers. 

saw plenty of blowing snow on the way back from bolton to stowe...roads were in good shape though...excellent winter conditions as it should be this time of year

Would like to snowmobile tomorrow but not sure about riding alone with sub zero temps and wind. Could always go to work

I have tomorrow off and a friend of mine is taking the day off to ride. Trails through the fields have just about disappeared from drifting. We may do decent mileage or freeze our nuts off and cut it short. All that matters is I don't have to work!

Our birds have been chowing down the seed too--ravenous!

Wow, what a night/early morning.  Absolutely howling out there and -12F to boot.  Some of those gust we've had have to be pushing 40mph.  And we're in a fairly protected spot too.  There's one hill here in town that is wide open and faces north--bet that road is all drifted over this morning.  There are several trophy/flatlander homes up there too.  How do ya like me now?  Ha-ha!

Looks fun up on Mt Washington:  -23 with gusts up 123mph.  :twister:

We've been going through 10lb bags one per week. Birds are chowing.

I have a couple feral cats that I feed cat food to on a regular basis, whatever they don't finish the blue jays and cardinals chow down. It's a win win situation except when the blue jays actually scare off the cats in order to get to the cat food first!

Morning low on the hill  was -9.9F.   Low earlier in the season with the first real cold shot was -14.2F   Winds were stronger last night however.  I kind of want to take a road trip to Boston just to witness how much snow was on the ground.  I am sure I had more in 2007/8 with the 150" winter but seeing that much snow in an urban area must be something.  I would guess they would need a foot per week just to retain what they have with settling/sublimation and Feb sun.  

Archived