• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Jan 6-7 Potential Clipper

HoarfrostHubb

What's funny is, that a poster a couple days ago from down in Delaware or Maryland asked somebody...I think Scott, if the clipper had a chance to move south towards them?? At that time, we were just hoping the Clipper wouldn't go North of SNE. Scott replied there was a very low chance that it could get that far south to affect the Delmarva area. Which IMO, was a great answer for what we were seein on Guidance on Friday.

Low and behold, it's heading that way. And we lose yet again. It's finding all ways not to snow this year in SNE so far. Disappointing trend for us...yet again. Sometimes an area just can't break out of that set up, I sure hope this isn't one of those years where we have storms go north and south of us.

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No sign of James today. ...I think he finally snapped and plunged into the gulf stream.

LMAO...!! Poor James. I like that guy. But this Clipper is looking very likely to Disappoint most of us in SNE. Although, if anybody does a lil better, it could be James out on the Cape...he might get a trace, and the rest of us see 5-6 flakes.

Euro looks even more compressed than 00z...this is turning into a PHL/BWI clipper. Only a dusting for most on the Euro...perhaps a inch or so down near the Cape and S coast of RI.

Looks more like mood snows that will sublimate away fairly quickly.  I can't see more than an inch even down here, and I think we'll be very hard pressed to get more than a coating.  For consistencies sake I'd be hesitant to say just snow flurries or showers with little or no accumulation but that appears to be the best forecast at this time.

This will likely be one of the frequent dustings we've had down here.  Snowing often for this early in the year down here, just not amounting to much each time.

LOL You're right Wxwatcher007 we did get two inches yesterday. But it seems to be pulling teeth so far up here this year, to get an inch of snow to materialize. It's not a good sign when most every system breaks against your area. And the clipper is doing it yet again.

I am appreciative that we saw the snow yesterday...so I guess that's a positive point like you pointed out.

Enjoy whatever you get down that way my friend...your flag carrying seems to have Paid Off lol :-).

Track is doing what I thought a couple of days ago, even more south to be honest than what I was thinking, I would not be surprised to see it ultimately bump a bit north though...I find with these clippers we sometimes see an overcorrection south in the 2-3 day range and then they end up 50 or so miles north of that.

I once saw Dr. Lance Bozart out of Suny/Albany do a fantastic presentation at a conference entitled, "Little Critters That Bite"

It was a case study of a 10" powder bomb that took place along the Pike and SE zones.  I actually remember the event in question... snowing like a mother f'er on west winds!!   

I may not be getting this paraphrase exact as memory fades, but the gist was a 30 or so vort max moved S of New England. That type of trajectory normally enhances mid level frontogenics ...~ 1 deg and 1/2 of a deg latitude polarward of the jet max translation.  With frigid air in place enhancing the hell outta ratios, .3" of unexpected QPF went on to like 10" at 22::1.  I remember him demoing a very strong elevated frontogenic signature causing strong UVV along the Pike.    

The guy was entertaining.  His tempo was quick. His tenor was energetic, occasionally sneaking self-aware quips that were Meteorological effacing. He got numerous robust chuckle out of the audience while he flipped through over-head projector images of older Difax charts.

Pretty sure this situation smacks of that... though I would never forecast such an event, just saying... you got to be real careful with these mid level wind maxes passing near-by S like that.  I think NCEP is probably raising eyebrows at the cup of coffee, azz on the edge of the desk, "hey did you see this" talks...

"...GREAT LAKES/NORTHEAST...

IN ADDITION TO LAKES EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS...RESULTING IN LOCALLY HEAVY ACCUMULATIONS IN THE EASTERLY LEES OF LAKES ERIE..ONTARIO AND SUPERIOR...THE AFOREMENTIONED CLIPPER SYSTEM CROSS THE MIDWEST ON DAY 2...MAY PRODUCE SOME LOCALLY HEAVY AMOUNTS ACROSS PORTIONS OF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND TO THE NORTHERN NEW ENGLAND COAST...."

The take away is that we don't have to have ideal set ups to cash in... Sometimes event delivery is what happens while in wait for the next  modeled eye-candy... There was another one very similar to that, that took place some years later in 2004... Near the tail end of that cold snap that year. There was a little critter that set up a distinct frontogenic meso band right along the Pike and Metro West. I was working down on Comm. Ave, across the street from B.U. at the time, and I remember the less than 1/4 mi vis amid the partly sunny with flurries we still had up on the point and click, painted over with rush job WS warnings. - nyuk nyuk.  

Also, that CANOGAPIAN model that was fused out of dog schit hoping alchemy would create a "GGEM" of a model has a healthy Norlun look out of this thing.   

Kind of makes me wonder if Lance is just backing into another explanation for Norluns.. hm. Fascinating...

I expect snow to be OTG this week and will not be surprised if things evolved better with the clipper. Going to be a fun week

I am currently doing forecasts for the Upper Midwest with it for tomorrow and the one thing I am seeing so far is the Euro is out to lunch on the QPF...the NAM and RGEM seem the best, no surprise since the high res models tend to handle these better.  I would be concerned if tomorrow those 2 models once inside 36 hours are bone dry.

Archived