• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Winter 2014-2015 Pattern Discussion Thread III

BIG FROSTY

He has to remember most of the member here act more like this...

By the way the EPS just looks "meh" on the surface for us....it does look like there is a good cold air press coming though so probably looks better on the NH maps I just haven't looked at them. 

Lol...

We need to drop the AO.  Even so, Webber's PDO is going to help us in Feb.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm not trying to sound pompous at all and I hope others will take more notice of the PDO, especially when it's well into record breaking territory like this year. When the PDO is positive, it generally suppresses the southeastern US ridge (although it's not as successful in December because the jet is naturally weaker & the Aleutian Low is further north), and forces split flow over N America, often blasting right into the heart the subtropical SE US ridge (particularly in February), however it was very obvious from the beginning the SE US ridge was going to be flattened like a pancake, especially considering this past fall registered in the top 5 all-time for strongest fall +PDO...

While I enjoy reading through all the technical things you post, I am sure the majority of the board would like to know (since a large majority of what you post, while detailed, goes over the head of most in here) what percentage chance you'd put on a pattern that would be much more supportive of multiple snow and ice threats in the southeast, something more sustainable (not transitory) from late January into and through much of the month of February??  

I would think your research points in the direction of likely, but would be nice to hear your thoughts in layman's terms.

Well, I'm not trying to sound pompous at all and I hope others will take more notice of the PDO, especially when it's well into record breaking territory like this year. When the PDO is positive, it generally suppresses the southeastern US ridge (although it's not as successful in December because the jet is naturally weaker & the Aleutian Low is further north), and forces split flow over N America, often blasting right into the heart the subtropical SE US ridge (particularly in February), however it was very obvious from the beginning the SE US ridge was going to be flattened like a pancake, especially considering this past fall registered in the top 5 all-time for strongest fall +PDO...

LOL...You know us...you know we have to visually see the EPS show us this before we believe it.

I'm being completely serious, it was blatantly obvious...

I do appreciate the feedback but it is frustrating in many cases how some of this seems to fall upon deaf ears... 

If your intention is to impart knowledge, you're forgetting teaching rule number one.  Know your class and tailor the lesson to fit their level of understanding.  If you don't, you may as well be explaining in Chinese.  

I still dont see a negative NAO in the extended GFS ens. I see Siberia getting very cold air with strong ridging in the west US and zonal flow to the east US. The SE ridge looks like it's trying to make a comeback near the end of the run. Need a trough and not zonal flow here to even begin pondering extended below average temps and strong lows. 

I still dont see a negative NAO in the extended GFS ens. I see Siberia getting very cold air with strong ridging in the west US and zonal flow to the east US. The SE ridge looks like it's trying to make a comeback near the end of the run. Need a trough and not zonal flow here to even begin pondering extended below average temps and strong lows.

Shhhhhh! Don't say that in here.

how do you get zonal flow with "stong ridging" in the west?

The coldest air is always in Siberia until it gets unlocked by a -epo.

When there is nothing in the Atlantic to cause a trough in the east US. Hopefully it changes though :)

don't worry the pv is coming back to Hudson bay. You still get a trough in the east with a ridge out west. Epo is going back negative too. The nao should come after the ao and once we can get the stubborn vortex out of se Canada.

Folks,

My own opinion (based on my recent analysis of JAN KATL day by day data) is that the current model consensus for the MJO (as per Steve's link below) is right about where I like seeing it going for prime time potential:

MJO 1/13/15 model forecasts (compiled at Steve's website):

http://www.daculaweather.com/4_mjo_phase_forecast.php

Note where the coolest anomalies are on this map (this is based on 1,240 KATL JAN days since 1975...i.e., a very large sample):
https://www.american...-1420242524.png

IMO, this is about where I think is the most optimal path for cold (though keep in mind that the MJO is just one "tool" among many and not a crystal ball..but I like the odds fwiw):
https://www.american...-1420242779.gif

Regardless of the MJO, it obviously would help immensely if we could also at least get a sustained -AO and, even better yet, a neutral NAO.

FWIW 18z GFS run was simply AWFUL for 2m temps!!! Never showed upstate or points east in SC or NC getting below freezing from hour 192 through the rest of the run, which goes out to 1/30. A lot of zonal flow going on with lots of cold in eastern Canada but never coming south of Mason Dixon. Really hope it's out to lunch :(

FWIW 18z GFS run was simply AWFUL for 2m temps!!! Never showed upstate or points east in SC or NC getting below freezing from hour 192 through the rest of the run, which goes out to 1/30. A lot of zonal flow going on with lots of cold in eastern Canada but never coming south of Mason Dixon. Really hope it's out to lunch :(

The 18z GFS ensembles looked nothing like the OP

FWIW, its one long range model run. Not exactly written in stone.....

You should remember that you are 19 and you're talking to a group of folks of all ages and all backgrounds.  Not everyone has the same grasp of the science that you do.  Your explanations are often long and technical.  Its it not logical to conclude that it is possible that not everyone always picks up the point you're driving at?  Instead of being frustrated, which comes across in your thoughts, teach.  And teach simply.

I know you are frustrated...but remember something. This forum is mainly for people that follow weather as a hobby. That means they spend a very small amount of time researching and learning. This means it takes awhile to get to anything beyond a surface map. You just posted maps that I bet 90% of posters here have little understanding of other than what the colors mean on the map. This is kind of like talking to someone who likes to "watch" basketball vs. a basketball fanatic. You have to learn that you talk to each one differently. With the fanatic you can discuss how the D didn't rotate on the pick and roll thus the basket was scored. With someone who just watches basketball you might say the defender should have moved around the player to block the shot. See the difference? 

I see and everything that was said here is true in my eyes, I try to keep my posts from becoming too lengthy & technical ( I could do much more than this), however I think this is just another case of watching the conditions at hand (which models use to assimilate, initialize, etc. & w/ their flawed, yet realistic derivations often having an understood margin of error, are inadvertently self-destructive (if that's the adequate term to use her) w/ error increasing growth with time) reigning over model guidance. Apart from looking at short range events, I use the models sparingly if @ all to mold my ideas for long range forecasting. I've actually reached the point now where  I possess little-if any passion whatsoever for watching their every run like I used to several years ago and I often go on several day spells without looking at a single model run, yet still am able to come away w/ the basic ideas in an upcoming pattern. One could only imagine... I see absolutely nothing wrong w/ watching the models from a passive enthusiast standpoint, however if you desire to make something of your passion for the weather, would like to take it several steps forward, or are just plain sick of the models in general ( I personally hope that last proposition resonates with somebody here, lol), I implore that it's in your best interest to start delving into the processes that govern weather patterns in a broad sense & their throng of teleconnections, among other things. If you are incessantly hungry for this desire to attain a wealth of knowledge, (which in this day & age lays conveniently at your fingertips, you just have to know where to look), and you want it badly enough, eventually, you'll reach a point where, the notion that "the more you know the more you realize you don't know" will "suddenly" reverberate throughout every pore, & that's when you'll know that you've started to become wise. ( @ least as it pertains to weather, but this statement is applicable in other situations as well. Also, expelling inherent bias will take you very far, and for me the 2013 Hurricane Season was the last straw. since that time, I've taken an implicit & unwritten oath of sorts, to stress exercising impartiality above all else & to quell the aspirations of the weather weenie within...

While I enjoy reading through all the technical things you post, I am sure the majority of the board would like to know (since a large majority of what you post, while detailed, goes over the head of most in here) what percentage chance you'd put on a pattern that would be much more supportive of multiple snow and ice threats in the southeast, something more sustainable (not transitory) from late January into and through much of the month of February??  

I would think your research points in the direction of likely, but would be nice to hear your thoughts in layman's terms.

In light of all the research & data I've posted here & am currently well aware, I would likely go w/ a number somewhere around 75-80% which remarkably, narrowly exceeds the historical probability for below normal temperatures the temperatures in NC, SC, & GA in February within this ENSO base state (70%). Uncertainty (in terms of the ferocity & precisely when the pattern turns favorable (again)) & caution are the two main pre-conditions (mentally) that are withholding me from raising these %ages to near 90-95 percent.. 

Man, the euro ensembles look great staring around day 9 and going through the end of the run. West coast ridge, -epo and ao. Deep trough in the east!

The 0Z model consensus along with 6Z GFS for late month looks very nice with some threats/very close calls. The 6Z GFS comes very close 1/22-23 with a near miss Miller A. The 0Z EPS shows a threat for 1/25. I have a feeling the fun this winter will markedly increase with much closer calls to actual threats for sig. to major events for many areas starting in just over a week. We'll see. :)

Also, add the MJO to the list of favorable indices for late month.

The 0Z model consensus along with 6Z GFS for late month looks very nice with some threats/very close calls. The 6Z GFS comes very close 1/22-23 with a near miss Miller A. The 0Z EPS shows a threat for 1/25. I have a feeling the fun this winter will markedly increase with much closer calls to actual threats for sig. to major events for many areas starting in just over a week. We'll see. :)

Also, add the MJO to the list of favorable indices for late month.

I just wanted to say thank you to GaWx who has been realistic, yet optimistic pretty much all winter

Archived