amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Winter 2014-2015 Pattern Discussion Thread III

BIG FROSTY

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a good hit for much of NC from a line running N/W of CLT to RDU.  3-5" or so, perhaps.

Surface temperatures are dreadful, though, but I just don't think surface temperatures will ruin a strong storm with adequately cold 850s.  Never seen it happen here, at least.  With 850s of -2C to -3C, that seems hard to believe.

It will all be different at 06z, anyways...

Looks like a good hit for much of NC from a line running N/W of CLT to RDU.  3-5" or so, perhaps.

Surface temperatures are dreadful, though, but I just don't think surface temperatures will ruin a strong storm with adequately cold 850s.  Never seen it happen here, at least.

We're talking surface temps on a Day 8-9 event...that would be the last thing I would sweat at this time.

We need to see consistent runs of a Miller-A sliding from the Gulf to off the GA/SC coast and everything else will handle itself...

Damn what an awesome run of the new GFS.  If that's not a major winter storm in the southeast at hr204, we got to just quit.  The low over the northeast winds up on Monday, and everything gets blocked up behind it.  Then we get the southern streamer coming into California in split flow with a building west coast ridge.

The 12z Euro Ensemble Mean and 18z GFS Ensemble Mean were farther north and moreso favoring the mid-Atlantic.  It will be interesting to see how those trend overnight.

Looks like a good hit for much of NC from a line running N/W of CLT to RDU. 3-5" or so, perhaps.

Surface temperatures are dreadful, though, but I just don't think surface temperatures will ruin a strong storm with adequately cold 850s. Never seen it happen here, at least. With 850s of -2C to -3C, that seems hard to believe.

It will all be different at 06z, anyways...

sure is, weak and farther southeast.

#FAIL!!!  Severe weather maybe?   :)  Needless to say BIG differences at 500mb on this run of the euro.  Nothing over the lakes, i.e. vortex/low pressure, to keep this suppressed...next....

The Euro is cutting. Yikes.

This is obviously bad...but if the Euro was correct it would also facilitate a major pattern change as the storm wraps up....that being said all winter in the LR we've seen storms model to do this and it just hasn't really happened. I don't know why they keep wanting to make these big wrapped up super storms that cut but they do. Christmas is a prime example of that. I would suspect a weakish non event over that super wrapped up look. 

This is obviously bad...but if the Euro was correct it would also facilitate a major pattern change as the storm wraps up....that being said all winter in the LR we've seen storms model to do this and it just hasn't really happened. I don't know why they keep wanting to make these big wrapped up super storms that cut but they do. Christmas is a prime example of that. I would suspect a weakish non event over that super wrapped up look. 

Well the 6z GFS was suppressed too far to the south. Take the average between the euro and GFS and we still have our storm. **I'm only half joking; at this range we just need to see a storm and some cold air.

The 00z EPS mean is also inland as well as the GEFS...not a good look at all...that's ok, though. Since when were we betting on a snowstorm on 1/24? Last few days? I'll wait until we can get in a better pattern to cash out early feb...the cold is marginal in this storm and there's nothing to suppress it...If the models switch back to a off the coast bomb I'd be surprised, the setup just doesn't look good. I will say however the models are a bit lost, flipping from solutions within one run, no need to write it off yet until we see 12z and 00z later do the same then it's toast.

Let me ask this question. Why should we believe in a wound up storm that cuts inland? Models, mainly the euro, have been doing it a lot this winter only to have a strung out weak little mess in the end, right? I'm not saying it can't happen, but I think for now, it's better to think a weaker GFS type solution would be more correct. We shall see. Sounds like the storm idea has ENS support tho. That's good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just checked out the ensembles from last night at D10.  There is a remarkable amount of agreement in the overall pattern across the board.  I'm not sure I've seen this much broad-based agreement all winter so far.  Specific storm threats in the LR are going to change, but the agreement in the overall pattern is pretty darn good.  (By the way, the 0z GFS looks good in the LR, pretty much all the way through).

Euro ENS (Aleutian Low, big tall PNA/EPO ridge, split flow signal, and some ridging over the top.  Flow coming straight out of the arctic):

post-987-0-40879900-1421328632_thumb.png

Gem ENS (About the same as the Euro ENS):

post-987-0-51735100-1421328678_thumb.png

0z GFS ENS:

post-987-0-60268500-1421328710_thumb.png

6z GFS ENS:

post-987-0-50294400-1421328765_thumb.png

Look at the agreement!  That's a cold and potentially stormy look.  I'm happy with how things are progressing...at least at the moment. :)

Good post CR that is reason number two I don't see storms riding inland and totally winding up. A strong Miller B that exists OTS in the NE is not totally out of the question but I have a hard time buying it crashes straight into Canada as a superstorm of sorts. Even in the flow we are in now with minor confluence storms are staying south for the most part. 

Just to add a bit of caution. LR models especially the LR GFS tend to go to the extremes. Extreme cold or extreme torch. It's def. plausible we end up with more of a Dec. 2009 look where it just doesn't quite get cold enough for these big storms outside of the mountains. Just something to look out for if indeed we end up with all the indices on our side. 

Archived