• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

Mitch, use instantweathermaps.com. Much faster than ncep.

Gfs js trying to turn the second wave into a storm for us. Not there yet but certainly good enough at 5-6 day leads. Vort is looking pretty good.

yeah, thanks

I gave up on the government a few minutes ago....just their website, to be sure  ;)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I'd like to know is, how come it can get so damned COLD, FRIGID cold, so cold I don't even like it (and that is saying tons, I'm the guy who wants another ice age) and then we are in for regular rain with no ice at all in a few days?

Tonight, Austin Texas has a Winter Storm Warning for a quarter to half of an inch of ice for krise sake! Even San Antonio!!!

Thats sad when you gotta be in south central Texas to get ice in polar front conditions, but we get a serving of plain rain after shivering thru highs in the low 20s, lows in the single numbers with 30 mph wind gusts.

I'll never understand it. I've been living in Dale City since 1967 and I STILL don't understand it.

This place truly sucks huge goat balls.

You know what? I am trapped in this armpit. I will die here someday. I will never get out. And, the day I die, there will have been a week of high temps in the teens with howling 50 mph north winds, then it will mild up - and we will get 3 inches of regular rain with no ice at all in Dale City. Mark my words. It will happen. I was born for rain in winter.

What I'd like to know is, how come it can get so damned COLD, FRIGID cold, so cold I don't even like it (and that is saying tons, I'm the guy who wants another ice age) and then we are in for regular rain with no ice at all in a few days?

Tonight, Austin Texas has a Winter Storm Warning for a quarter to half of an inch of ice for krise sake! Even San Antonio!!!

Thats sad when you gotta be in south central Texas to get ice in polar front conditions, but we get a serving of plain rain after shivering thru highs in the low 20s, lows in the single numbers with 30 mph wind gusts.

I'll never understand it. I've been living in Dale City since 1967 and I STILL don't understand it.

You know what? I am trapped in this armpit. I will die here someday. I will never get out. And, the day I die, there will have been a week of high temps in the teens with howling 50 mph north winds, then it will mild up - and we will get 3 inches of regular rain with no ice at all in Dale City. Mark my words. It will happen. I was born for rain in winter.

Next time try and get it all out.

+AO, +NAO. I'm guessing thats not the answer you are looking for though. Consider moving?

+AO, +NAO. I'm guessing thats not the answer you are looking for though. Consider moving?

I wish I could. So, I get all excited about my next car top covering of rain. I stay up all night just to get to see the rain accumulate in all of the low places in my lawn. My life is one big lemon. Got to make lemonade lmao

the 6z GFS paints an interesting picture for weather this week. it shows are a little ice storm Monday morning; a six-hour snowfall on Wednesday; and a wound up storm hugging the coast on Friday. The late week storm actually moves from off the se coast to the NW after which it begins to move NE. That move looked funny to me. Whatever was forcing these storms a couple of days ago to be well off shore and to our southeast is now apparently gone. a call out to any of the Mets on the board could this be a function of the AO and NAO beginning its journey to a more neutral level?

Looking at these charts, the 10 day correlation is pretty strong with it being at 0.727. However, it falls off a cliff between day 10 and 14. At day 14, it is a mere 0.2782. So, a key would be to get a solid -AO forecast by day 10. As it is now, day 10 is forecasted to drop to near +0.5 by the GEFS mean, which is a significant move in the right direction.

The GEFS still suggests the AO will likely plunge into negative territory after about day 10. We'll see. The correlation through day 10 has been good but the day 14 corr. is quite low. Day 10 is still in modest + territory per the mean. The plunge to negative is just afterward but it is getting closer it appears:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/ao.sprd2.gif

The NAO is fcast to get down to a modest positive but not get down to 0 at least through day 14:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/nao.sprd2.gif

Hopefully, CFS2 will be as correct with JAN as it was with DEC....and it keep trending colder each day

usT2mMonInd1.gif

usPrecMonInd1.gif

I'm bumping this because we're almost at the point of the month where the CFS2 stops forecasting for the current month

anyway, this is today's forecast for JAN, temp and precip

now this obviously includes the numbers for the first 9 days of the month of BN, so the balance of the month should average at least normal or maybe a little BN with this forecast of the entire month

So that Tuesday night/Wednesday thing.....yeah. Looks pretty good on the GFS actually. Might be time to move these two threats (Monday Morning) to short term talk.

These are the kinds of deals that just sneak up. Simple little gulf moisture overunning cold air deal. It's small and weak and could easily be a no nevermind but encouraging to see it showing in some form nearby on all guidance. Euro kept it just south but it's 4+ days away so just a small shift could give us a little something.

These are the kinds of deals that just sneak up. Simple little gulf moisture overunning cold air deal. It's small and weak and could easily be a no nevermind but encouraging to see it showing in some form nearby on all guidance. Euro kept it just south but it's 4+ days away so just a small shift could give us a little something.

I erroneously posted this over in the short term thread:

I'm wondering if the weak energy that is now causing T/W thingy is messing up the F/S hope

But I'm always of the mindset to take less if it's closer in time and a higher chance, so I'll take this run and the heck with a fantasy 7-day storm

I'm wondering if the weak energy that is now causing T/W thingy is messing up the F/S hope

But I'm always of the mindset to take less if it's closer in time and a higher chance, so I'll take this run and the heck with a fantasy 7-day storm

Without fail, GL Low is there and ready.

I don't think it's messing up anything. It's not organized. It's nothing more than sw flow aloft running some moisture into a cold hp. Height pattern has been dicey for the later week system the whole time. The interaction with the northern stream vort is unresolved. We'll just have to wait and see on that one.

Until we can shift the core of the high-latitude blocking towards Greenland & the North Atlantic, we're going to be stuck in this kind of pattern w/ the primary wintry threat coming from overrunning & Miller Bs...

NC-Miller-AMiller-B-WPO-EPO-AO-NAO1-1024

Although a -EPO/WPO is certainly helpful in @ least delivering copious amounts of true, arctic air into the east-central US, the one caveat if you have a personal preference for Miller As & snowstorms is the confluent flow that is generated near the base of the subsequent trough that becomes established over the eastern US & southern Canada, which leads to episodic strong highs progressing thru the northern tier & southern Canada. If timed right w/ disturbances in the southern branch this = relatively high probability for ice instead of snow. February is going to be the best shot the US east coast has to crank out a NESIS storm, El Nino Februarys are as good as it gets...

Monthly-NESIS-Normalized-Snowstorms-El-N

Archived