Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we want a more wintry solution for Monday, we need that northern stream low/shortwave to move through faster and bring in the high from the Midwest that much faster.  Right now it looks like the northern stream passes by as the southern stream arrives and that prevents any real CAD from developing.

If we want a more wintry solution for Monday, we need that northern stream low/shortwave to move through faster and bring in the high from the Midwest that much faster. Right now it looks like the northern stream passes by as the southern stream arrives and that prevents any real CAD from developing.

Seems pretty locked in that we quickly jump above freezing shortly after 7am or so. With such agreement in a notsogreat cad setup I think the only wildcard is how much precip can get in here before the inevitable flip. .10 could cause some problems but temps will be in the upper 20's to near freezing and the roads have all been treated recently. I don't see much chance for an impact event.

Agree about the gfs for the next system. Definite move towards the euro. My wag is that it won't be so easy to shunt it south and OTS like the gfs keeps insisting on so I'm fairly confident we see some precip out of it. What kind is anyone's guess. Maybe all kinds. lol

Seems pretty locked in that we quickly jump above freezing shortly after 7am or so. With such agreement in a notsogreat cad setup I think the only wildcard is how much precip can get in here before the inevitable flip. .10 could cause some problems but temps will be in the upper 20's to near freezing and the roads have all been treated recently. I don't see much chance for an impact event.

Agree about the gfs for the next system. Definite move towards the euro. My wag is that it won't be so easy to shunt it south and OTS like the gfs keeps insisting on so I'm fairly confident we see some precip out of it. What kind is anyone's guess. Maybe all kinds. lol

6Z runs were showing 10 am for the 'burbs, so I'm not sure it's actually all that locked in. It's definitely not a great CAD setup, but 3 days out is awfully far away to be nailing down changeover times. 

heh, nice shift on the para. Jumps the primary from KY to off the nc/sc coast and rides it up. Midlevels survive and we get snow.

Yeah, it's snow, but I suspect mostly because the antecedent airmass is colder.  Seeing a low tracking through southern Ontario at the same time makes me a bit nervous.  But I'll take it.  It's not a MECS set up, but certainly has potential for a widespread advisory or maybe even low-end warning scenario.  One certain thing is that it won't stick around for a week like this snow will.  

6Z runs were showing 10 am for the 'burbs, so I'm not sure it's actually all that locked in. It's definitely not a great CAD setup, but 3 days out is awfully far away to be nailing down changeover times.

True. I still don't see much of a street impact in our area either way. Trees might look pretty for a time.

Yeah, it's snow, but I suspect mostly because the antecedent airmass is colder. Seeing a low tracking through southern Ontario at the same time makes me a bit nervous. But I'll take it. It's not a MECS set up, but certainly has potential for a widespread advisory or maybe even low-end warning scenario. One certain thing is that it won't stick around for a week like this snow will.

The low up in Canada was much weaker this run and had little if any interaction with the southern vort. Much more amplification in front than the older brother. Euro may tease us shortly.

True. I still don't see much of a street impact in our area either way. Trees might look pretty for a time.

This might be the rare case, like 1/10/14, where we don't get much tree glaze but sidewalks and neighborhood streets are slippery... just because of how cold the ground will be leading up to it. I agree-- low overall impact. 

IAD data from the days before the ice events last winter (hi/lo/precip)

12/5-9/13- Tree glaze ice

5  69  54      T  
 6  65  38   0.97  
 7  42  31   0.19  
 8  31  26   0.77  
 9  34  30   0.43 

1/6-10/14- sidewalk, side street glaze 
 6  44  11 0.08    
 7  18   1  0.00  
 8  26   5  0.00  
 9  37   24 0.00  
10  35  29 0.53  

2/1-5/14- tree glaze ice/major ice storm in northern MD 
 1  49  22  0.00  
 2  61  26  0.00 
 3  45  29  1.33    
 4  34  25  0.01  
 5  41  29  0.55    

fully agree with this.    30 degree ice events here are usually not big problems for the roads if it has been warm the previous days.  But they can have a decent impact if it has been cold for a long period leading up to the event.

This might be the rare case, like 1/10/14, where we don't get much tree glaze but sidewalks and neighborhood streets are slippery... just because of how cold the ground will be leading up to it. I agree-- low overall impact. 

IAD data from the days before the ice events last winter (hi/lo/precip)

12/5-9/13- Tree glaze ice

5  69  54      T  
 6  65  38   0.97  
 7  42  31   0.19  
 8  31  26   0.77  
 9  34  30   0.43 

1/6-10/14- sidewalk, side street glaze 
 6  44  11 0.08    
 7  18   1  0.00  
 8  26   5  0.00  
 9  37   24 0.00  
10  35  29 0.53  

2/1-5/14- tree glaze ice/major ice storm in northern MD 
 1  49  22  0.00  
 2  61  26  0.00 
 3  45  29  1.33    
 4  34  25  0.01  
 5  41  29  0.55    

GEFS keep trending better after the relax. We can probably expect an uneventful 4-6 day period next week. GEFS is really likes the idea of pumping the -epo ridge up (and even a touch of -ao) down the line and dumping cold back in our neck. This is a good look and possibly some sort of threat around the 23-25th  

f384.gif

GEFS keep trending better after the relax. We can probably expect an uneventful 4-6 day period next week. GEFS is really likes the idea of pumping the -epo ridge up (and even a touch of -ao) down the line and dumping cold back in our neck. This is a good look and possibly some sort of threat late next week to. 

f384.gif

Looks something like we had last year. Doesn't look too bad.

Been keeping somewhat of a watchful eye on the period after the pattern relaxes (which is hopefully only a few days!).  The GEFS has been really fairly consistent on this trend as you show in the spaghetti plots and the mean for a little while now.  Good to see this.  Hopefully that will be real, and hope that the hints of a -AO (and even -NAO?) are as well.  I think even the deterministic GFS in its later forecast projections has been looking better in general from run to run.  As always, we'll see.

GEFS keep trending better after the relax. We can probably expect an uneventful 4-6 day period next week. GEFS is really likes the idea of pumping the -epo ridge up (and even a touch of -ao) down the line and dumping cold back in our neck. This is a good look and possibly some sort of threat around the 23-25th  

f384.gif

Does the EURO show anything worthwhile Monday morning?  Or should I just go ahead and look toward the end of the week?

I'd be curious if the Euro is "reviving" the end of week event, or if it's "meh" like the GFS has been showing lately.  I'm about reserved at this point that Monday won't be anything much to think about though some areas could have issues with the ice potential.

I'd be curious if the Euro is "reviving" the end of week event, or if it's "meh" like the GFS has been showing lately.  I'm about reserved at this point that Monday won't be anything much to think about though some areas could have issues with the ice potential.

The January 14-16 period is definitely still on the table for an event of some sort

Have any long range ideas been right this winter yet?

The consensus -AO/NAO by end of December, early January looks like a bust....as far as ground truth, a number of people had the idea that December would be a meh month.  Of course it ended up warmer than most would have predicted.  And most people went for a cold January which is coming to fruition so far, though it is early....And most have been right about the EPO/PNA which has been solidly -/+....The main consensus bust has been the Atlantic and that has been where all the focus is, and rightly so....But as far as most of the long range ideas I have seen, it has been a mixed bag....

Archived