Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

GFS & EURO worlds apart on the LR threat

probably because the Euro loves to over amplify everything in the 6-10 day range

my guess is, if the seasonal pattern holds, that stronger storm on the Euro will be gone in a few runs, maybe even as soon as 12z

eventually, it may get one of those right, but I have no faith in it until it can sniff one of those 7-10 threats out, hold it, and be right with it

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

probably because the Euro loves to over amplify everything in the 6-10 day range

my guess is, if the seasonal pattern holds, that stronger storm on the Euro will be gone in a few runs, maybe even as soon as 12z

eventually, it may get one of those right, but I have no faith in it until it can sniff one of those 7-10 threats out, hold it, and be right with it

Storm details aside, gfs has zero amplification in front of the vort and just shears it away. Euro has modest amplification that allows it to develop and move north. I agree with you about euro trends this year. Odds probably favor a less organized and sheared solution. But maybe not as flat as the gfs. Hard to say at this point. Anything is possible.

All rain except maybe further west at the end.

Verbatim.. but given the track and climo and the fact that there is a lot of cold air around I would think that we could expect a colder trend.  But I am not really trained at reading the model output so who knows. 

Ensembles are all showing a demise to the big +ao/nao we've been experiencing. 6z gefs mean shows a negative AO late in the run. Last 3 runs of the gfs op have shown higher heights in the nao/ao domain space. And then this lala gem is too good not to post.

gfs_z500a_nhem_49.png

dude..it was showing this at 384 hours a week ago.

I think the gfs ens members look plenty interesting for Monday. I also am skeptical of the temps warming as advertised. Where is this warmth coming from? And a massive arctic airmass has a difficult time modifying this time of year. Throw in a massive high to the nw and I think there's a very good chance temps keep getting modeled colder as we get closer.

I'm with you, but an ensemble fail wouldn't be earth shattering.

Heh. Nope, it surely wouldn't. This is the first time all winter we've had unanimous agreement that the +nao is going to get knocked down a few notches. We had some fleeting signals before the xmas storm that never materialized but that was event driven and what is going on now appears to be a regime change in general. We can only hope models are onto something but expect status quo

GGEM advertising major ice storm west of I-95... even major ice in DC/BWI metro... DC gets to 34 around 1pm MON and then slowly goes back below freezing

GGEM has really been consistent showing Ice/Cold Rain for the Central/Western MD and NoVa area, like 7-8 runs in a row now.

Archived