Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The consensus -AO/NAO by end of December, early January looks like a bust....as far as ground truth, a number of people had the idea that December would be a meh month.  Of course it ended up warmer than most would have predicted.  And most people went for a cold January which is coming to fruition so far, though it is early....And most have been right about the EPO/PNA which has been solidly -/+....The main consensus bust has been the Atlantic and that has been where all the focus is, and rightly so....But as far as most of the long range ideas I have seen, it has been a mixed bag....

true, good points. 

true, good points. 

I think people get too cocky and competitive about the long range stuff..maybe me too....getting too specific is dangerous....Personally, I really have no stance yet on whether we will reach climo snow...though some huge snow year seems pretty unlikely at this point...as you know, we're still pretty early in the season for us...and our climo sucks so bad anyway..

Looks like Euro on this run is a tad too far east for our liking?  My bar is set at like 1-2" if we get anything

Why would you take this approach a week away.

I think we are in a situation that is good and bad...the pattern overall is pretty neutral at this point in terms of snow, but we are nearing a climo window where even here is crappy DC we can accidentally fall backward into an accumulating snowfall...Other than January 2006 which was a +8, I believe we have had a 1"+ event here in immediate DC during the January 15-31 period every winter since the late 90s....and some of those periods were crappy...Our good climo period in DC is only like 5-6 weeks, but during that period, we're actually pretty good at getting snow events.  I think in terms of models as we enter Mid January, we shouldn't worry too much outside of 3-4 days...crappy looking model runs may actually yield something and good looking runs could easily crap out...

Late next week we are in some weird transition period, but in the means we will have a -EPO, +PNA, and a vortex to our NW which can be good and bad....We should also get some troughing in the east...I wouldn't punt that window...

I think we are in a situation that is good and bad...the pattern overall is pretty neutral at this point in terms of snow, but we are nearing a climo window where even here is crappy DC we can accidentally fall backward into an accumulating snowfall...Other than January 2006 which was a +8, I believe we have had a 1"+ event here in immediate DC during the January 15-31 period every winter since the late 90s....and some of those periods were crappy...Our good climo period in DC is only like 5-6 weeks, but during that period, we're actually pretty good at getting snow events.  I think in terms of models as we enter Mid January, we shouldn't worry too much outside of 3-4 days...crappy looking model runs may actually yield something and good looking runs could easily crap out...

Late next week we are in some weird transition period, but in the means we will have a -EPO, +PNA, and a vortex to our NW which can be good and bad....We should also get some troughing in the east...I wouldn't punt that window...

I think next Thursday is as good a chance as there's been this year. I look at next week as being the last shot with house money. Any threats that don't materialize after the 15th begin to sting even though my window extends a couple weeks past yours.

I think next Thursday is as good a chance as there's been this year. I look at next week as being the last shot with house money. Any threats that don't materialize after the 15th begin to sting even though my window extends a couple weeks past yours.

It looks like we warm for 2-4 days after that, but who knows for sure?..though the signal is pretty stromg...could just be 45-55 and not the depressing +20's

Is it? Could it?

ao.sprd2.gif

the problem that I see is that the 7 day forecasts look pretty good but the 10 and 14 day forecasts are notoriously too low   iow the AO is verifying higher than proged by those 2 forecast periods

hence, if that continues the 7 day forecast is going to verify and the AO does not go negative but hovers around +1.....which is better than where it's been, but nothing that great

the problem that I see is that the 7 day forecasts look pretty good but the 10 and 14 day forecasts are notoriously too low   iow the AO is verifying higher than proged by those 2 forecast periods

hence, if that continues the 7 day forecast is going to verify and the AO does not go negative but hovers around +1.....which is better than where it's been, but nothing that great

Don't worry about that. The longer range always misses the big moves. in both directions. Look at Oct-Nov. It's been verifying higher because it's spiking. 

Euro ens fairly supportive of a frozen event second half of next week. Mean track is a bit too east for our liking but members are spread out all over. Pretty good signal for frozen in the the nc piedmont and central/southern VA as well. 

Yep. The mean (weatherbell)snow amount is over 2" for most of the DC region, points north and west, and even down to Richmond. Some good runs in there.  

Is it? Could it?

ao.sprd2.gif

Looking at these charts, the 10 day correlation is pretty strong with it being at 0.727. However, it falls off a cliff between day 10 and 14. At day 14, it is a mere 0.2782. So, a key would be to get a solid -AO forecast by day 10. As it is now, day 10 is forecasted to drop to near +0.5 by the GEFS mean, which is a significant move in the right direction.

Don't worry about that. The longer range always misses the big moves. in both directions. Look at Oct-Nov. It's been verifying higher because it's spiking. 

7 day forecast is pretty darn good on the entire graph Bob

when that shows it going negative, then I'll do my Jebwalk naked across the street

until then,  prudidity rules over nudity

7 day forecast is pretty darn good on the entire graph Bob

when that shows it going negative, then I'll do my Jebwalk naked across the street

until then,  prudidity rules over nudity

Considering how it's gone in that dept since dec 1st, I might wait until a 7 minute forecast. Kinda hard to ignore for right now though. 

Euro ens made a notable step towards the GEFS. Not nearly as warm as last nights. Relax is a lock but things come back together fairly quickly. 

Considering how it's gone in that dept since dec 1st, I might wait until a 7 minute forecast. Kinda hard to ignore for right now though.

Euro ens made a notable step towards the GEFS. Not nearly as warm as last nights. Relax is a lock but things come back together fairly quickly.

good to hear

really, since last year, the gefs have done much better than the euro ensembles imho

good to hear

really, since last year, the gefs have done much better than the euro ensembles imho

Agreed. They have done really well in the d11+ range considering how tough it is to get it right. Seems like every large scale pattern shift lately appears on the gefs first. Gefs can be jumpy sometimes moreso than the euro ens but it's a great tool.

The potential late next week reminds me a lot of how the euro and its ens reeled us in for the the "storm that never was" in Dec.  

Old gfs said No and so did the para but the euro and it's ens were steadfast.  As soon as the euro backed off, the para came on board and dangled the carrot for another 24hrs.

IMO, the euro ens are continuing the backpedaling that started with the 00z run yesterday.  The mean has steadily decreased across the region and the 12z  control couldn't even throw us a bone this run.  A lot of weather to figure out before next Fri and things could change but I feel like this path is worn.  Just my 2 Lincolns. 

Yep. The mean (weatherbell)snow amount is over 2" for most of the DC region, points north and west, and even down to Richmond. Some good runs in there.

Eh the track and strength is meh. Members making for a big light precip area.

thats when    MJO moves into   phase 7 

GEFS keep trending better after the relax. We can probably expect an uneventful 4-6 day period next week. GEFS is really likes the idea of pumping the -epo ridge up (and even a touch of -ao) down the line and dumping cold back in our neck. This is a good look and possibly some sort of threat around the 23-25th  

f384.gif

Archived