joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Ending out December with a Potential Pattern Change

CoastalWx

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMHO a major storm with a lot of frozen qpf for New England is on the table 12/24-5.

I think it is possible too. It wouldnt come without taint, but frozen precip is on the table

What is a Heather A

Heather Archembault has published research on how KU events often occur during a transitional period in the NAO index

Amazing post Coastal. Tropical forcing has been a big interest of mine over the last year. I feel it's a forecast method which is often underrated. I assume the above image is behind a paywall? Also, while I've looked into it for the past year, it's still a topic which is hard to grasp at times. You mention warm SST's helping to facilitate the MJO... Could you explain what you meant? Appreciate it!

Euro ensembles look marginalv at best for 21st and are a total Grinch storm for most of new england with the Christmas storm.

Looks like trash for anyone who likes snow in SNE

Well as I said, transition storms. If you get lucky, great.

It's also worth noting that two days ago the Euro ensembles had a more significant looking impact for the system on the 21st, and that looks rather muted at this point. So, as favored as Euro guidance is and with a nod to general deference toward the ensembles, the expectations should be low but the belief of precision at this time frame should be even lower.

Oh, great. Look at me, I'm saying what shouldn't even need to be said.

Some people are just idiots until it actually snows. Then they're just happy idiots, who are marginally more tolerable.

It's also worth noting that two days ago the Euro ensembles had a more significant looking impact for the system on the 21st, and that looks rather muted at this point. So, as favored as Euro guidance is and with a nod to general deference toward the ensembles, the expectations should be low but the belief of precision at this time frame should be even lower.

Some people are just idiots until it actually snows. Then they're just happy idiots, who are marginally more tolerable.

Well, it was just a verbatim analysis.

Obviously things will more than likely change, but that is the look right now

Aside from the 21st, in general when the cold first dives south, heights pump up in the east. This usually is good for several " I thought the pattern was supposed to change" posts because these little nuances get hidden in the ensemble mean until you get closer. Indeed we will probably see something like that, but of course there is no guarantee on ptype. We went through this a few times last season too. It's just a heads up.

Archived