joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Ending out December with a Potential Pattern Change

CoastalWx

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Christmas storm is not an ideal setup but there is some high pressure that shows up in Quebec. Certainly there's a large portion of this subforum's members that could still see substantial frozen out of it.

It needs a bit of work but unideal setups can succeed...esp away from the water and 200 hours out.

There are signs of near NY and beyond, Can see it in the ensembles. Plus, you are obviously going to have chances. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to see that...lol.

Well if the frequency of systems continues, and it gets colder, snow looks like a good bet haha. I like how we seem to get an event at least once a week, sometimes twice a week. That's the frequency that leads to nice seasonal totals even if they aren't all MECS type events. It's not like we are waiting 10-14 days for another shortwave to show up.

Now what is causing this? Notice the EC VP 200mb plots. You can see the eastward movement of various features, but the thing to take home is that the blues and greens represent areas of potentially rising air at 200mb and hence convection. Notice a surge of these greens pushing to 150E by the New Year. This is what helps force the ridge in AK. Convection here will cause heights to build downwind which is what we see in AK.  This may weaken a bit heading to mid Jan, but by then who knows how things will continue. Could be a fun ride.

attachicon.gifEC MJO.gif

Looks like it was previously asked, but I'm curious as well. Is the image you used above from a paid site? Excellent post btw ;)

East coast storms right? I know NESIS or whatever it is will grade all storms like Chicago blizzards but KU is only east coast millions affected right?

Yeah only the East. Frankly, I hate those terms for snow events. Like, who cares if it was NESIS 4 or 5 or whether it's a KU. It's usually what matters in your backyard. I'm not going to lose sleep at a NESIS 3 event vs a 4 event.

Yeah only the East. Frankly, I hate those terms for snow events. Like, who cares if it was NESIS 4 or 5 or whether it's a KU. It's usually what matters in your backyard. I'm not going to lose sleep at a NESIS 3 event vs a 4 event.

Yeah its only meaningful if your backyard gets smoked.  You could get 12" in a KU but 24" in a stationary freak band in some other random storm...and you're going to look back on the larger one much more fondly than the KU one.

Archived