Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Ending out December with a Potential Pattern Change

CoastalWx

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gonna need a snow event before this month is out if you want a blockbuster winter. I suppose you can really rack it up Jan-Mar..but that's usually a key thing to have, at the very least the interior getting something before the month is over. We've had plenty of times where winter didn't start until Feb on he coast and we got 70+", but the interior always did well beforehand.

Ginxy, I remember it well, Ryan came on the air in Feb of 13 and said that it was snowing at 6 inches per hour, not 6 inches per half hour. And I remember him saying it will probably be the heaviest snow you will ever see. He likened it to the heaviest lake effect snow out by the lakes. I have never heard of 6-8 inches in a half hour in my life. Maybe we can ask Ryan to comment on it if he can? Not calling you a liar, just saying I never heard of anything that extreme in CT.

just checked two reports of 12 in 90 minutes, one report of 6 in one half hour. 3 reports of 8 in one hour all in Central CT Glastonbury, Hamden area, all unverified but even members here reported 6-8 in one hour

Gonna need a snow event before this month is out if you want a blockbuster winter. I suppose you can really rack it up Jan-Mar..but that's usually a key thing to have, at the very least the interior getting something before the month is over.

You just read my mind.

Blockbuster if off the table, imo, if this month completely duds as though I think it is going to now.

I did not expect this.

I figured an event or two would work out around xmas and shortly thereafter, but that looks to be failing.

I'm going to adjust my outlook if this holds through tmw.

I have two seasons in mind, and they both spell an epic January, though not an epic season, as I had originally thought.

December has just been too lousy for that.

just checked two reports of 12 in 90 minutes, one report of 6 in one half hour. 3 reports of 8 in one hour all in Central CT Glastonbury, Hamden area, all unverified but even members here reported 6-8 in one hour

Yeah that band had 6-8 likely. It became extremely hard to get mote than 8.

You just read my mind.

Blockbuster if off the table, imo, if this month completely duds as though I think it is going to now.

I did not expect this.

I figured an event or two would work out around xmas and shortly thereafter, but that looks to be failing.

I'm going to adjust my outlook if this holds through tmw.

I have two seasons in mind, and they both spell an epic January, though not an epic season, as I had originally thought.

December has just been too lousy for that.

Well we'll need a -NAO. That looks to want to happen for a time anyways. There is a window for snow before NY. I mean we did it on '04 with a fluke practically. Hold off until the NY if I were you.  The thing is, when things flip..it happens quick. '03 flipped, '13 flipped...it happens quick. But usually areas like you and Will did well in December. So we'll see what if anything Christmas does and maybe prior to NY.

Gonna need a snow event before this month is out if you want a blockbuster winter. I suppose you can really rack it up Jan-Mar..but that's usually a key thing to have, at the very least the interior getting something before the month is over. We've had plenty of times where winter didn't start until Feb on he coast and we got 70+", but the interior always did well beforehand.

Yeah I have been thinking the same thing Scott. If you look at the winters since 1950 where there were 3" or less at BDL in December the average snowfall is 21.4". Ouch.

Well we'll need a -NAO. That looks to want to happen for a time anyways. There is a window for snow before NY. I mean we did it on '04 with a fluke practically. Hold off until the NY if I were you. The thing is, when things flip..it happens quick. '03 flipped, '13 flipped...it happens quick. But usually areas like you and Will did well in December. So we'll see what if anything Christmas does and maybe prior to NY.

If I end this month with .5".....sorry.....case closed. Blockbuster not happening. Should be able to grab a few inches...

Oh ok. For some reason I thought the opposite argument was made earlier. But maybe this is referring to the interior mainly..since they have higher annual averages to top and thus its more difficult to qualify for blockbuster season without December showing up.

For the coast, we wasted plenty of Dec and Jan. I think Jan will come in and knock those prancing around in Fall coats, to the ground.

The thing is, Just over the border did real well, so it's not your typical suck patterns that caused December to be lackluster so far. The big GOA trough didn't help, but you can't completely associate that with your Dec '94, 06, '11 etc. They weren't the same. Dec has worked out tough for me which was expected, but I thought the interior would do well. We shall see.

I guess the bottom line is that if we get shut out in December (esp interior), then odds decrease significantly of a blockbuster, esp there. But, I still feel good about getting a fun Jan-Mar in here. I think a key feature to watch is how and if a -NAO tries to develop. That is key. If it doesn't, then odds are not as good. 

Yeah..it's not very often you get more snow in november than in December..speaking for my backyard at least.

Yeah, not even close to sniffing even an inch here this month.

Still 2+ weeks left in the month, and a huge storm on the 30th could make this whole discussion irrelevant. Only takes one big one to right the ship.

So far, this is one of the worse Decembers I can recall.

The thing is, Just over the border did real well, so it's not your typical suck patterns that caused December to be lackluster so far. The big GOA trough didn't help, but you can't completely associate that with your Dec '94, 06, '11 etc. They weren't the same. Dec has worked out tough for me which was expected, but I thought the interior would do well. We shall see.

I get tha it wasn't warm like the crap years...no one expects that, but the stats don't lie.

Archived