12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Ending out December with a Potential Pattern Change

CoastalWx

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to see how the models trend in the next 72 hours.  We have another 24-36 hours before the trough comes onshore across British Columbia.  Then we will have a better sampled shortwave and understanding the strength of the disturbance goes a long way into determining the type of storm we will get, also the -NAO in this time frame lends us to believe that the monster Christmas Eve storm will go east.  Let's see what the next three days say.

I would like to see how the models trend in the next 72 hours.  We have another 24-36 hours before the trough comes onshore across British Columbia.  Then we will have a better sampled shortwave and understanding the strength of the disturbance goes a long way into determining the type of storm we will get, also the -NAO in this time frame lends us to believe that the monster Christmas Eve storm will go east.  Let's see what the next three days say.

Hi James,

We have to be careful with the NAO.  It is in fact not negative leading, it is positive, *BUT* the index is in modality (change), and falling.  It ends of negative ... but about 10 days out at CPC and much sooner at CDC. 

It falls a significant amount in total.  From ~ +2 standard deviation to perhaps -.25 SD at CPC, and estimating that to around -1 SD at CDC.  That's a fairly large modality so intuitively we should see a shift in the structure of the flow between Chicago and the southern tip of Greenland; and that is important because this mode shift appears westerly based (west vs east base may be less familiar with some individuals...)

Some nice looks on the EC ensembles. Even that subtle hint of storms off the EC based on the mass fields after day 11 or so.

They imply a couple of chances between about Dec 29 and Jan 2...pretty damned cold look too. So we'll see what happens. Let's keep that look the next 2-3 days or so and then we'll be inside 10 days on the ensembles...kind of a magic boundary for things becoming a lot more confident in terms of a cold look while legit storm chances may occur.

They imply a couple of chances between about Dec 29 and Jan 2...pretty damned cold look too. So we'll see what happens. Let's keep that look the next 2-3 days or so and then we'll be inside 10 days on the ensembles...kind of a magic boundary for things becoming a lot more confident in terms of a cold look while legit storm chances may occur.

Yeah agree. Would be awesome to eek one out before NY, but regardless, that's a nice look.

How are the EC ensembles for the 24th storm?  Plus just an update on my short story, I'm at 10,000 words and 15 pages and just getting to the dates of the storm, so it might take another week before I am done.  Anyways thanks for the clear up John.

Give it a bit of a rest of the 24th storm. It's a rain producer that will help fuel the pattern change. 

I would say the EC ensembles are definitely further east than they were a couple of days ago, most of them have the primary lweaker in the lakes and then a stronger low forming down in the Carolinas and heading northward near New York City It seems as though phasing a 959 millibar low over the Great Lakes is seeming less likely. there are a few members which have the secondary form off the coastwith a decent snowfall across New York State and northern New England

Archived