• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Ending out December with a Potential Pattern Change

CoastalWx

Of course.. But a 6 week winter sucks man. That's my point. When you urinate away an entire month.. Hoping that 6-8 weeks all hell breaks loose isn't a game I want to play

Welcome to El Nino...where you learn that March is often a winter month. Embrace it.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I would guess that those Decembers that stunk weren't looking at much of a pattern change heading into Jan.  I can't speak much for the interior, but for me, it doesn't mean much. 2003 except for the Jan cold, sucked until 2/7 LOL. 

Of those 10 BDL Decembers, I mean how many were really staring down the barrel of a potentially favorably pattern change? On the extreme maybe 5?

Sample size FTL.

This Dec sucked, definitely puts a damper on the total winter rating but so much left and we can turn lemons into cake.

Our solice is its been "cold" enough to at least feel somewhat wintry . A torch this month would have caused quite a few folks on the board to prematurely end their lives. And a few lucky souls have gotten lucky on some smaller events and extra hours of freezing drizzle. But Dec has always been my favorite winter month . Maybe it has to do with the holidays. At any rate, at least we appear ready to break out of the doldrums and drop some hammer on em

Cut off's and mositure laden  bbs ar emore favored in December and March, than the middle of the winter....I'll take my chances with those AFTER we have seen the lagged manifestation of the winter soltice propagate throughout the atmosphere, not before.

While we may reap the physical benefits of the solstice during December, I'd argue that we reap the more substantial, lagged atmospheric benefits later.

Not to mention ssts on the cp...March is where it's at.

Our solice is its been "cold" enough to at least feel somewhat wintry . A torch this month would have caused quite a few folks on the board to prematurely end their lives. And a few lucky souls have gotten lucky on some smaller events and extra hours of freezing drizzle. But Dec has always been my favorite winter month . Maybe it has to do with the holidays. At any rate, at least we appear ready to break out of the doldrums and drop some hammer on em

IDK Nov felt more wintry to me. the one day of snow didn't cut it. You assurdely were an outlier

I see his point, December snows last, have the holiday feel. March snows are messy in a few hours for the most part. fun to watch but not as appealing.

Yes this. I've said this many times and I actually think many are in agreement. Nov and Dec snows have a different feel than March. You've got months of winter and chances to go so why not start early and often. March the atmosphere is in spring mode and signs of spring are everywhere from Cadbury cream eggs to spring training, to little league starting

I'm not sure he would really disagree with me...mostly because garbage Decembers don't often have a good storm in the first few days of January. But if you prefaced "Crappy Decembers where we got smoked within 5 days of Jan 1st", then I'm sure you'd be way better off. Less than 3 inches is a pretty low sample as it is...how many have there been since 1950 at BDL? Like 8 or 9?

But we'll revisit if BDL actually does get under 3 inches this December.

Yeah I agree with you 100% here. If you have a crummy December but get a great storm in very early January it doesn't really matter. 12/31 is just an arbitrary cut-off. The pattern looks really good by 1/1 - I'm not terribly worried about things going forward.

Well, there is something to be said for the seasonal progression of the mean baroclinic zone.

I don't think its a coincidence that relatively surpressed storm tracks are mosre difficult to sustain in December, than later on in the season.

There is a lag in the atmosphere of approximately one month, which is why the coldest climo is around one month after the solstice.

Yep...nailed it.

March has a tighter baroclinic zone as the south starts to heat up, but the north remains cold in March and most importantly the ocean is much colder. There's a reason that in March, you have more snow near the coast in our region.

I mean, I love the low sun angle in December too...but it's not easy to maintain pack all month. Esp before about 12/20. The timing of the Grinch Storms has been unlucky in recent years (which is why we call them that)...but they happen during the month as a whole fairly frequently.

none?

1" or Less in December

- Happened 10/93 Winters

- Of those winters none had above normal seasonal snowf?

Exactly. It's interesting for conversation, but statistically it means very little. We could be on the verge of new territory, or it could just follow the same pattern of below normal seasonal snow.

Cut off's and mositure laden  bbs ar emore favored in December and March, than the middle of the winter....I'll take my chances with those AFTER we have seen the lagged manifestation of the winter soltice propagate throughout the atmosphere, not before.

While we may reap the physical benefits of the solstice during December, I'd argue that we reap the more substantial, lagged atmospheric benefits later.

Which is cool Meteorologically  but mentally I'd prefer a bigger Dec and I average more in Dec usually

November	2.5
December	13.0
January	        14.7
February	12.4
March	        11.4

Yep...nailed it.

March has a tighter baroclinic zone as the south starts to heat up, but the north remains cold in March and most importantly the ocean is much colder. There's a reason that in March, you have more snow near the coast in our region.

I mean, I love the low sun angle in December too...but it's not easy to maintain pack all month. Esp before about 12/20. The timing of the Grinch Storms has been unlucky in recent years (which is why we call them that)...but they happen during the month as a whole fairly frequently.

? we average more snow on the CP below ORH in Dec than March?

Well many lousy Decembers continued the awful look into January. I mean if 12/26/04 was delayed 5 days and we had the look on the ensembles around Christmas, panic would ensue. Verbatim, prior to 1/22/05, the pattern wasn't good. This time around we still have something possible prior to NY and it appears we have a favorable pattern for some period of time to look forward to.

Archived