• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Ending out December with a Potential Pattern Change

CoastalWx

My goal is one moderate event before the new year...which is admittedly going to be tough, but I think there is a window of opportunity, albeit a small one.

We see that come to fruition, then an epic season is still very much on the table.

A few days ago I mentioned the chance in the interior was greater than 50%. The thinking was something right before NY. We will see. Maybe it was a weenie post, but I felt good.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My goal is one moderate event before the new year...which is admittedly going to be tough, but I think there is a window of opportunity, albeit a small one.

We see that come to fruition, then an epic season is still very much on the table.

If it happens on 1/2 vs 12/30, I don't see how it matters though I understand from a statistically aesthetic standpoint it probably "feels better" to say we got it in December. From a straight analytical standpoint tho I don't think it matters.

I guess what I'm saying is that is there a reason to take a blockbuster season off the table if 8.7" falls on 1/1-1/2 and not 12/30?

If it happens on 1/2 vs 12/30, I don't see how it matters though I understand from a statistically aesthetic standpoint it probably "feels better" to say we got it in December. From a straight analytical standpoint tho I don't think it matters.

I guess what I'm saying is that is there a reason to take a blockbuster season off the table if 8.7" falls on 1/1-1/2 and not 12/30?

I get that.....akin to how you rebutted my Jan 2007/anticipated Jan 2015 pattern analogy with the warm first two weeks of Jan 2007.

It's a a subjective, temporal issue born of man made calendars.

Lets put it this way, give me an even of at least moderate impact my January 5th. :lol:

I think that is a good bet.

North East snow cover

December 19, 2014

Area Covered By Snow:

77.4%

December 19, 2013

Area Covered By Snow:

98.9%

December 19, 2012

Area Covered By Snow:

63.2%

December 19, 2011

Area Covered By Snow:

36.3%

December 19, 2010

Area Covered By Snow:

83.1%

December 19, 2009

Area Covered By Snow:

86.5%

December 19, 2008

Area Covered By Snow:

91.4%

December 19, 2007

Area Covered By Snow:

98.3%

December 19, 2006

Area Covered By Snow:

13.7%

December 19, 2005

Area Covered By Snow:

97.7%

December 19, 2004

Area Covered By Snow:

76.7%

December 19, 2003

Area Covered By Snow:

That 77% is hard to believe since there is no snow cover in SNE and points S.

Ryan begs to differ and had a long thread on BDL following winters with less than 3 inches of snow in Dec

I like partioning seasons employing statistical records like that, too, but I see Will's point that a few days may not be reqally important in the grand scheme of things.

That's what we were kind of talking about the other day. Obviously it does help having snow in December, but it may not mean much as far as a "good" winter goes. I guess for instance if we waited until mid January to get into a decent pattern vs after Christmas, it probably will mean something. I still wouldn't rule out something before NY.

Ryan begs to differ and had a long thread on BDL following winters with less than 3 inches of snow in Dec

I'm not sure he would really disagree with me...mostly because garbage Decembers don't often have a good storm in the first few days of January. But if you prefaced "Crappy Decembers where we got smoked within 5 days of Jan 1st", then I'm sure you'd be way better off. Less than 3 inches is a pretty low sample as it is...how many have there been since 1950 at BDL? Like 8 or 9?

But we'll revisit if BDL actually does get under 3 inches this December.

I'm not sure he would really disagree with me...mostly because garbage Decembers don't often have a good storm in the first few days of January. But if you prefaced "Crappy Decembers where we got smoked within 5 days of Jan 1st", then I'm sure you'd be way better off. Less than 3 inches is a pretty low sample as it is...how many have there been since 1950 at BDL? Like 8 or 9?

But we'll revisit if BDL actually does get under 3 inches this December.

Hey it was his thread, I'll dig it up, it was 6 or less, my bad

That's what we were kind of talking about the other day. Obviously it does help having snow in December, but it may not mean much as far as a "good" winter goes. I guess for instance if we waited until mid January to get into a decent pattern vs after Christmas, it probably will mean something. I still wouldn't rule out something before NY.

I agree, but I'm speaking of upper echelon winters.

CTRAIN

Partially to rile people up and partially out of curiosity I took a look a look at previous Decembers with less than 6" of snow and less than 1" of snow at BDL. With our luck this is where we're heading.

6" or Less in December
- Happened 37/93 Winters
- Of those winters 7/37 had above normal seasonal snowfall
- Of the 37 winters the average seasonal snowfall was 32.7"

1" or Less in December
- Happened 10/93 Winters
- Of those winters none had above normal seasonal snowfall
- Of those 37 winters the average seasonal snowfall was 24.4"

What's remarkable is that the average snowfall for December is 8.4" at BDL so 6" or less for the month at BDL probably says just as much about the overall winter pattern as it does about just having a crappy month.

So for all the posts that say, "don't worry... it's only December 10th" when the next 7 days don't look all that great... there actually is something to worry about if we can't get some snow in here over the next 3 weeks! 

I violently agree with his last paragraph. Nothing worse or more asinine than those posts that say "don't worry, it's only Dec 19th. " of course you worry anytime you lose an entire winter month

BDL is a whopping .1 for Dec, be worried be very worried lol. Foolish thread he made, made even better by the most epic 6 week run of my life

CTRAIN

Partially to rile people up and partially out of curiosity I took a look a look at previous Decembers with less than 6" of snow and less than 1" of snow at BDL. With our luck this is where we're heading.

It's true, December can often make the season...but obviously that is when you aren't looking at anything else. If you are at 12/29 and a huge storm is forecasted for 1/1...then it doesn't mean anything.

Statistical indicators are good when in the right context.

It is sort of akin to how all the statistical indicators would have said that BOS was pretty hosed in 2012-2013 when by late January, they were sitting around 6" of snow on the season...but when we put the whole pattern in context with some other similar looking years on where we were headed, then it looked much more plausible that they could go on a big rally (which they ended up doing).

It's true, December can often make the season...but obviously that is when you aren't looking at anything else. If you are at 12/29 and a huge storm is forecasted for 1/1...then it doesn't mean anything.

Statistical indicators are good when in the right context.

It is sort of akin to how all the statistical indicators would have said that BOS was pretty hosed in 2012-2013 when by late January, they were sitting around 6" of snow on the season...but when we put the whole pattern in context with some other similar looking years on where we were headed, then it looked much more plausible that they could go on a big rally (which they ended up doing).

I 100% agree and said so at the time he posted that, but stats show however if BDL does NOT get 1 inch of snow in DEC it would be the first time ever they had an above normal snow season. 

Archived