wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Central PA & Fringes - December-January 2014-15

djr5001

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a horrible winter day. Round 1 gave us about a quarter inch of snow and sleet followed by a lull. Then round 2 commenced and gave us about a tenth of an inch of ice before warming above freezing. Now sitting at 34 degrees with a cold rain and partially frozen slush.

I can't wait for May...

What a horrible winter day. Round 1 gave us about a quarter inch of snow and sleet followed by a lull. Then round 2 commenced and gave us about a tenth of an inch of ice before warming above freezing. Now sitting at 34 degrees with a cold rain and partially frozen slush.

I can't wait for May...

It is about as vile as a winter day gets. We had nothing but some freezing drizzle and light rain this morning, not even anything to coat the old snow.  Temp hovering right at 32°. Salty gray slush and slop everywhere, low clouds and fog. Just gross.  Tomorrow's sun with a high near 20° will be glorious by comparison.

I can't wait for May...

do you hate winter.........wasnt sure....??

To those of us that like winter, I'd rather see blue on someones radar than 60 on the thermo...just sayin.

Nut

While we wait, lets have some fun.

I have a couple of theories,  Most storms will start or finish in the night hours. Most storms will be on the weekend or days connected to the weekend.

So why is that? First , during the winter, it is dark more hours in the winter.

And take the seven days in the week, take the days in the weekend and the connecting days, you now have over 50% of the days.

This was a response to a post sometime ago by an inet met.

Could we hit 50 Saturday?

Southern tier and Lower Sus Valley might make a run at it either Sat or Sun.. as could the Harrisburg metro if we have a sunny enough day. 850 temps don't look overly high on the models (in the 0-5ºC range at best) throughout the commonwealth.. so I don't think 50s will be widespread (prob a lot of low-mid 40s). Given that we are nearing the bottom of the curve in terms of average temps as we get into mid January, those will still be notable + departures for that day or two this weekend.. even if they aren't really blow torch warm. The warm up does appear short lived as seasonably cold air is progged to return to the region thereafter.

The pattern certainly doesn't look warm overall, but the trick is getting some storms in the mix. By the looks of the pattern alignment with a quiet southern jet, western ridge, and a continued lack of -NAO blocking, we will probably have to look to the northern stream for any notable systems of the snowy variety next week.

So I go outside for a smoke (yes I know, it's bad for me), and what do wondering eyes spot? Some VERY light snow falling. Not that it will amount to anything, but I didn't think ANY precipitation would get north of the PA/MD line, let alone up this far. It's not showing on radar, but as God as my witness, it's snowing up here...

So I go outside for a smoke (yes I know, it's bad for me), and what do wondering eyes spot? Some VERY light snow falling. Not that it will amount to anything, but I didn't think ANY precipitation would get north of the PA/MD line, let alone up this far. It's not showing on radar, but as God as my witness, it's snowing up here...

Noticed some very light snow here in Mount Joy when I got to work.

Archived