joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & Fringes - December-January 2014-15

djr5001

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Temps around 3-ish here currently. A breezy overnight probably prevented a -5 to -10 night here with the couple inches of snow on the ground. Mesowest obs do have several below zero readings up in the Laurels, with the two stations near Seven Springs at -6ºF. Also some -1 and -2's east of Scranton-WB in the Poconos. 

Some more snow in the northwest and Laurels region tonight into tomorrow, but with the clipper low tracking much further north than Tuesday's event, there likely won't be too much penetrating into the Sus Valley. 

The next period of greater interest seems to be in the early next week timeframe as temps moderate and the southern stream gets involved again with a couple different waves. Strong high progged to the north promises to provide strong CAD with anything that reaches into PA with the first wave (Tuesday). Could end up being some icing issues along the Mason Dixon and lower Sus Valley, where models have been sneaking in somewhat warmer air aloft. Euro has had a second, stronger system later next week the last few runs. Ensemble mean indicates it to some degree as well. Last night's 0z was more southeast of the area while the EPS control run had a pretty decent central PA hit. The 0z op run from the other night had a really big central PA hit. That's way out there yet (near 180hrs or so) and will be changing frequently, or perhaps disappearing.. but the weaker wave and potential overrunning precip early next week looks to be more of a higher confidence thing, with the questions of how much precip and p-type to be determined. Right now it looks like more of a lighter event. 

Interested to see what MDT recorded as a low, I'm guessing 9. I had 7 at the house in midtown, car read 10 just now when we came into work.

officially a low of 9 for yesterday and unofficially a low of 9 so far for today at MDT.

I ended up with a low of 5.  I guess that means it is that time for the farm show to begin :-).

I saw 0.6F. the temp did rise up to 1.5 when the wife let the dog out. I saw -2f at a bank on the way in, but my jeep had 6F for the low coming to work at 8:00 am. I didn't feel cold, but there is no wind to speak of. All the schools (k-12) had delays.

Lol! That was exactly my low reading this morning.

Noon temp in Harrisburg at KMDT was 13 degrees.  In the 126 years of record, only 43 days before today have had a high below 15 degrees (1.1%) on any day in month of January for Harrisburg.  There have been 152 days with a high below 20 degrees (3.88%).  While not nearly as cold and cold for as long as the two stretches last January, still impressive to have a day here be this cold let alone occurrences in back to back years.  There were 4 days below 20 last January and 2 below 15.

I remember being outside in the wicked cold of 1994. The temperature reached -20 1F in this area. I believe it actually was colder where I was at. I do remember one time seeing 30 F on the thermometer where we lived on top of one of the hills around here. I think the coldest windchill I've ever experienced here was -80. It was like 10 or 15 below zero in the wind speeds are getting close to 50 miles an hour. It was outside because my car wouldn't start.

Picked up 2" inches in roughly 1 - 1.5 hrs tonight.

Had to go out and try my new winter tires so i took a few pics ;)

Nice pictures! Wow, and I assume its still snowing?

Unfortunately lots of reports of virga with this storm but it appears you lucked out. Radar returns show me snowing right now, but not a flake yet from the sky and even some locations to my west are dry.

Nice pictures! Wow, and I assume its still snowing?

Unfortunately lots of reports of virga with this storm but it appears you lucked out. Radar returns show me snowing right now, but not a flake yet from the sky and even some locations to my west are dry.

Still snowing but Its really light.

Well it picked back up here and we almost have another inch of new snow since my last measurement ( .8)

Right around 3.5" total on the ground and 2.8" so far from tonight.

Have around an inch down here, the initial heavy burst seemed like it took a bit to get to the ground.. but it's snowing pretty decently currently with this resurgence of good echoes on radar. Looks like it'll be lasting for a while anyways.. certainly a lot healthier of a system than I expected. Considering the high ratios and the fact you already have almost 3"  might mean CTP could have to throw up a few advisories. 

Have around an inch down here, the initial heavy burst seemed like it took a bit to get to the ground.. but it's snowing pretty decently currently with this resurgence of good echoes on radar. Looks like it'll be lasting for a while anyways.. certainly a lot healthier of a system than I expected. Considering the high ratios and the fact you already have almost 3"  might mean CTP could have to throw up a few advisories. 

I was thinking an inch at most but it is really overperforming here.

I like it when that happens...You have had a few of them lately as well.

I was thinking an inch at most but it is really overperforming here.

I like it when that happens...You have had a few of them lately as well.

Def gotta love an over-achiever. I actually haven't had too many surprises so far this winter that were on the snowy side until this nice lil event. Heading to bed with some moderate snow and so far a fresh 2".  

A very nice 2.0" event overnight here. I wasn't expecting much more than a coating to maybe an inch so it was a nice surprise.  Still some light stuff coming down but I imagine we are done accumulating for the day.  It's very powdery so there should be some blowing snow later today. Current temperature is 20°, which has been rising since we dropped as low as 6° last evening.

Def gotta love an over-achiever. I actually haven't had too many surprises so far this winter that were on the snowy side until this nice lil event. Heading to bed with some moderate snow and so far a fresh 2".  

I thought you did good on the november snow?

My memory isnt the best so....????

We have 3.8" of new snow and 4.25" total on the ground.

Picked up 2" inches in roughly 1 - 1.5 hrs tonight.

Had to go out and try my new winter tires so i took a few pics ;)

I know that Sheetz very well. I lived in DuBois for several years and dad worked at Clearfield Hospital. Still have many friends and family in the area. Glad you guys are getting beautiful snow! I have 2 feet on the ground up here in West Michigan.

Like the look of the GFS short of the precip donut hole over true central pa.

How much snow is on the ground in Danville?

12z GFS looks very interesting for Monday. LSV might changeover at some point but a decent front bump of snow.

gfs_namer_096_precip_ptot.gif

I am a little concerned about ice potential... warm air aloft will likely get north of turnpike before precip but after continuous cold the past few days I can see the cold air hanging on at surface and creating an icy mess

To those of you who dislike me because I hate winter and snow, I give you this video. As a long haul tractor trailer driver, this is what I fear most. Being involved in something like this. Dealing with snow, low visibility, and idiots who drive too fast for conditions is extremely stressful.

Now, for the record, no one's been rude to me for my warmanista views, but I have noticed that most don't respond when I post, so I figure that there is at least some animosity.

To those of you who dislike me because I hate winter and snow, I give you this video. As a long haul tractor trailer driver, this is what I fear most. Being involved in something like this. Dealing with snow, low visibility, and idiots who drive too fast for conditions is extremely stressful.

Now, for the record, no one's been rude to me for my warmanista views, but I have noticed that most don't respond when I post, so I figure that there is at least some animosity.

I always read your posts Voyager. I have the up most respect for all the rig drivers out there. They are what gets this country going. And not everyone is going to be a snow lover, but we all love weather!! Good enough for me :)

Archived