• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & Fringes - December-January 2014-15

djr5001

I always read your posts Voyager. I have the up most respect for all the rig drivers out there. They are what gets this country going. And not everyone is going to be a snow lover, but we all love weather!! Good enough for me :)

I do love weather, and I used to love snow too, until I started driving the big rigs. And thanks for the respect!

Man, coming back from Phoenix to this weather was a shock to the system.

Millersville currently 9/-2

I'll bet it was...lol. My mom lives in Phoenix, so when I do a winter visit, it's tough to come back home.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, coming back from Phoenix to this weather was a shock to the system.

Millersville currently 9/-2

What you had to put the shorts away.... :-)

Voyager I don't think that just because people don't reply to your posts. that it means that they don't like you.

There are a lot of posts that go unanswered on here. But that doesn't mean that people don't read the posts.

In my opinion some posts don't need a reply or the question is sometimes something that can't be answered in a simple sentence or I myself can't answer the question.

Voyager I don't think that just because people don't reply to your posts. that it means that they don't like you.

There are a lot of posts that go unanswered on here. But that doesn't mean that people don't read the posts.

In my opinion some posts don't need a reply or the question is sometimes something that can't be answered in a simple sentence or I myself can't answer the question.

Yea, I agree, and I don't respond to everyone's either. I just know that my warmanista views, and the fact that I sometimes post about them, either joking or serious, can "ruffle a few feathers" on a board that consists largely of winter weather enthusiests. My main reason for the post was to inform you all as to why I'm the way I am and feel the way I do. It wasn't meant to be a "woe is me" post.

That being said, there is a wealth of information here, winter or summer, concerning current and upcoming weather events, and I truly appreciate that, and the folks who share their opinions and thoughts, as it helps me plan my days and trips whether I'm home or on the road.

To those of you who dislike me because I hate winter and snow, I give you this video. As a long haul tractor trailer driver, this is what I fear most. Being involved in something like this. Dealing with snow, low visibility, and idiots who drive too fast for conditions is extremely stressful.

Now, for the record, no one's been rude to me for my warmanista views, but I have noticed that most don't respond when I post, so I figure that there is at least some animosity.

Wow...incredible video...would be terrifying. I'm always worried when I'm driving on I-80 for work this time of year. Between some big rig drivers doing 65 in a near whiteout to the idiots in SUVs going even faster trying to pass, I've seen some close calls. I certainly enjoy my job a lot more between April and November, even though I love snow.

We hit -1° in Bellefonte this morning. I'm over in Snyder County for the day, we just hit 9° off a low of 3° here.

I will respond to posts if I have something to say in response. If I don't, I just go on down the thread. Don't worry Steve - if I'm not responding, it's just that I don't have anything to add. Same for any poster in any thread/forum.

Low this morning was 5. Still only at 6.2.

Yup. 5 degrees for the low here as well, but moving up quicker than I thought as I'm currently 13 here in my backyard. As for this weeks "festivities", it still seems to be model mayhem, at least from what I've read in the other sub-forums.

Between some big rig drivers doing 65 in a near whiteout to the idiots in SUVs going even faster trying to pass, I've seen some close calls.

That's the problem in a nutshell. So many people driving way too fast for conditions. They drive like it's sunny and dry with a mentality that nothing is going to happen to them. Personally, if the road is snowcovered, I slow down to 40-45 mph. That's plenty fast enough when the road is slick, and sometimes even that can be too fast. I'll tell you though, you won't believe how many times I've been called out on the CB radio by my fellow truckers for driving "too slow".

Actually, it was brutal for me this week since I was attending the AMS National Conference down there, so I was dressed up everyday this past week. Have to look presentable for future employers  :) . Thank goodness the Conference center was well air conditioned, but the travel around town in dress clothes in near 80 degree heat was not welcomed. I love the cold.

Got down to 4 in New Salem. Here's to some serious ice Monday AM.

What is your take on the Monday AM situation Joe? I think the whole sub forum could be in for some dicey travel the first part of Monday. The cold air over the past 5 days will not be denied imo. The last few icey type events this season have come off the heels of temperatures in the 50's and even 60's in southern PA. This will be on the heels of some incredibly cold days with one day for some with a temperature above freezing for only a few hours.

All it takes is one slick spot...

This....

To those of you who dislike me because I hate winter and snow, I give you this video. As a long haul tractor trailer driver, this is what I fear most. Being involved in something like this. Dealing with snow, low visibility, and idiots who drive too fast for conditions is extremely stressful.

Now, for the record, no one's been rude to me for my warmanista views, but I have noticed that most don't respond when I post, so I figure that there is at least some animosity.

My brother-in law sent me that link. We have been on the road many times. They live in the Kalamazoo area in west Michigan.

I respect people who are respectful in their driving and respect the road conditions. I have noticed most truck drivers do respect the little guys. That accident was the result that the people didn't respect the road conditions.

That's the problem in a nutshell. So many people driving way too fast for conditions. They drive like it's sunny and dry with a mentality that nothing is going to happen to them. Personally, if the road is snowcovered, I slow down to 40-45 mph. That's plenty fast enough when the road is slick, and sometimes even that can be too fast. I'll tell you though, you won't believe how many times I've been called out on the CB radio by my fellow truckers for driving "too slow".

I personally think you're one of the best, most level-headed posters Steve. I respect you on here as much as anyone. 

Hmmm looks interesting......could be a nasty mess.

Edit: Millville that would be torture having to dress up in that kind of weather.

Yeah, it stunk to have to do that. I would love to go back for a week and dress normally. It was a nice city. They have an amazing rail system and so many great bars and restaurants.

Actually, it was brutal for me this week since I was attending the AMS National Conference down there, so I was dressed up everyday this past week. Have to look presentable for future employers  :) . Thank goodness the Conference center was well air conditioned, but the travel around town in dress clothes in near 80 degree heat was not welcomed. I love the cold.

I was 97 degrees the day I got married, and of course I was in a black tux... :frostymelt:

Hmmm looks interesting......could be a nasty mess.

That it does. The last major ice event around here, we were without power for 38 hours, and we were one of the lucky ones who were restored rather quickly. Still, the house got down into the low 40's before it came back on.

I personally think you're one of the best, most level-headed posters Steve. I respect you on here as much as anyone. 

Thank you! :)

Lol, unless it's a major system, I agree with your views on warm and nice. I hate 5 degrees and dry and I also hate 2 inches of snow that closes nothing but causes havoc on the roads.

This 100%. Give me a blizzard or give me rain...lol.

Youre one of the few responsible truck drivers and I appreciate that...and youre smart to slow down in bad weather conditions. I dont know how many times Ive been passed not only by tractor trailers but SUVs and pickups flying down snow and slush covered roads and throwing all that crap on my windshield to where I could barely see. Thanks for driving safely and safe travels to you and all

Keep safe my friend. I manage 9000+ OTR shipments a year outbound from my facility.  Safety is first.

Thank you for your service too. My uncle is an OTR driver, good drivers are tough to find these days.

Hope your pay is up, as transportation cost have gone up + 6 percent the past 3 years for service.

I work with 6 big firms and 2 small firms and a brokers.

Best.

WWAs up ...but for 1" of mix and less than .1" zr.

Last week CTP argued that'd not be headline criteria. ;)

I think the difference in this advisory is the zr. Even a trace amount is suppose to carry an advisory. Last week didn't make any sense on the grounds that areas like Fulton and Bedford counties had the same amount forecasted as Adams, Franklin, York (grids and snow map) but only the southwestern counties had advisories posted. Posting an advisory at 1:25am for the remaining southern tier isn't in the publics best interest.

Archived