• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Backyard Weather Stations?

Whineminster

Does anyone have any experience or opinions on what would be a good weather station for my yard? I'm not looking for anything to crazy, it has to be under $200, and I prefer it has a screen but can also upload to weather underground. I'm thinking the ambient weather ws-2080 would do the trick... But it seems to be sold out everywhere. The accurite and Oregon scientific units don't seem to do as well in user reviews. Any input is appreciated!

http://www.ambientweather.com/amws2080.html

Does anyone have any experience or opinions on what would be a good weather station for my yard? I'm not looking for anything to crazy, it has to be under $200, and I prefer it has a screen but can also upload to weather underground. I'm thinking the ambient weather ws-2080 would do the trick... But it seems to be sold out everywhere. The accurite and Oregon scientific units don't seem to do as well in user reviews. Any input is appreciated!

http://www.ambientweather.com/amws2080.html

good question, i need one myself. i had what i thought was a decent one from accurite, but the temp sensor stopped working. well, it works, but the temperature jumps around. googled it, and it is a common problem. so i won't be buying another accurite.

oh btw: I recommend CVS brand batteries for any VP2 console. Mine have been in there for over 9 years and still happily powered my console through the 50 hour outage.

i have my original ones too. I'll admit...I was concerned my console was going to die halfway through the outage.

I've had the Davis Vantage Vue for about 6 years.  This keeps chugging along.  I've never had a problem with it

I've had my Davis VP II for exactly 7 years....still works fine; however the leveling bubbles are amorphous and dilapited.\

Probably upgrade to a VP III when that comes out.

I'd like a Davis, It's not that I don't have the money.....its just that I don't want to spend that much money on a weather station.  In reality I only want to spend about $100 (yes I'm cheap!!!).

Think I'll just go with a basic thermometer station for now.... :cry:  :weenie:

Yeah I can easily afford top of the line but it seems like too much work with so many wxbug stations within 2 miles of my house. I did fine a nice board when I was raking last month which I set aside to measure snow if I am motivated enough to do it.

• 1 month later...

I've been waiting for years to get this and I think I finally convinced my wife to get me one for X-Mas.....just not sure where to mount it.

So I have mine set up, but not sure what weather software to get so that I can upload to the web. I haven't heard many good things about Weatherlink software.

Anyone have any recommendations???

It's crazy to me that nobody makes a simple cheap thermometer that connects to wifi and uploads to wunderground.  Davis seems great if you want a hobbyist or professional setup, and it seems like the sensors and hardware are a fair deal, but the data cables and software were insanely overpriced last time I looked some years ago. 

I had tried to find a simple wireless thermometer that would send data to a linux system (via a receiver) with open source software, but never found something that supported that.

Archived