joxey
December Obs Thread

CAD_Wedge_NC

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

44°F Fog/Mist

I really like the looks of this! Keeping comin' north! :raining:  :flood:

Yeah, this is the kind of rain event badly needed here. Already picked up 1.25 with that batch that has moved into the upstate. With already 1.25, 3 to 4+ inches looks like a  possibility here..Here is the latest HRRR totals  and reflectivity at hour 15 showing it's still pouring. It should be noted though that the HRRR, gfs/nam  have been far too light in many areas, including here.

totp_t6sfc_f14.pngcref_t6sfc_f15.png

44°F Fog/Mist

I really like the looks of this! Keeping comin' north! :raining:  :flood:

southeast_loop.gif

What an event on tap, severe storms breaking out, flood watch hoisted, radar looks great.  I'm loving it.  It looks like seattle out there like you said the other day, thick fog/rain/drizzle/storms wow....

* THROUGH 8 PM EST WEDNESDAY EVENING

* ADDITIONAL RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 2 TO 4 INCHES ARE EXPECTED

THROUGH WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON. THIS OVER AN ALREADY SATURATED

GROUND WILL CAUSE SIGNIFICANT RISES ON AREA CREEKS...STREAMS AND

RIVERS. A THREAT OF ISOLATED FLASH FLOODING IS ALSO POSSIBLE DUE

TO FALL VEGETATION AND OTHER DEBRIS CLOGGING DRAINAGE SYSTEMS.

* FLOODING OF LOW LYING... POOR DRAINAGE AREAS IS LIKELY... ALONG

WITH THE POTENTIAL FLOODING OF SEVERAL FLOOD PRONE RIVERS AND

STREAMS... ESPECIALLY ACROSS NORTH AND PARTS OF CENTRAL GEORGIA.

Thunder in December, when temperatures are in the 40s... how can it be? The occurrence is a result of what is known as elevated instability, since the air "feeding" these storms is based above the layer of air where we live. Note the observed and annotated data from the weather balloons released this evening at both Greensboro, NC (at left) and Morehead City, NC (at right). While the temperatures at the surface/ground are indeed quite cool, ranging from lower 40s to lower 50 across the state of NC, the air just above the ground - at around 1000 ft - is much, much warmer; and this warmer air is supportive of thunderstorm development.

10520788_574294699338560_851261124900200

Heavy rain, super fog,and wind. Never had this combination before. Awesome.

2.59 so far.

Holy shackamolee it's a real frog strangler out there.... Heavy/moderate rain for the past few hours with thunder and fog. It's kinda sexy outside right now....

That heavy rain has finally made it here..I have a very respectable thunderstorm right now despite being deep in the wedge and 47 degrees. It's a bit surprising this system didn't get more love...I guess everyone is too obsessed with the latest flip flop of the gfs and it's 8 day fantasy pattern changes

Archived