• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter

mackerel_sky

If we get a stout -EPO shouldn't that prevent a SE ridge? I thought that is what happened last year whenever a -PNA was present?

A -EPO doesn't have to always be accompanied by a +PNA.  You could have troughing in the west and a -EPO.  The -EPO is favorable for establishing cold in our hemisphere, filtering it into Canada.  That's a great start.  But how far south the cold gets transported is another story.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A -EPO doesn't have to always be accompanied by a +PNA.  You could have troughing in the west and a -EPO.  The -EPO is favorable for establishing cold in our hemisphere, filtering it into Canada.  That's a great start.  But how far south the cold gets transported is another story.

Ok. I remember there was a lot of talk on a SE ridge this time last year and someone mentioned the -EPO played a big role in preventing that.

Correct, I see that's why DT is having some heartache, the Euro/EPS show a solid -PNA, the GEFS has it going slightly positive which is a world a difference for us.  The Euro has cold now dumping really into the central part of the country, not on the west coast, the GEFS looks great for us.  We will have to see who wins.

Correct, I see that's why DT is having some heartache, the Euro/EPS show a solid -PNA, the GEFS has it going slightly positive which is a world a difference for us.  The Euro has cold now dumping really into the central part of the country, not on the west coast, the GEFS looks great for us.  We will have to see who wins.

I can only see the Euro products through 240.  So seeing a -PNA around 240 may cause undo stress, since it's likely it will progress into something else after that frame.  But like I said, I can't see beyond that, so I don't know what the ENS show.

I can only see the Euro products through 240.  So seeing a -PNA around 240 may cause undo stress, since it's likely it will progress into something else after that frame.  But like I said, I can't see beyond that, so I don't know what the ENS show.

Here you go...2 days ago the EPS was even further west.  Will see what today's 12z EPS shows.

post-2311-0-22441400-1418930726_thumb.pn

post-2311-0-18209800-1418930732_thumb.pn

Lol at DT.....@DTVaWeatherman: "I am beginning to have doubts.... when does the cold air REALLY get into the east and stays ?"

My whole point with this tweet post............ Flip flopping like a fish out of water should be relegated to the individual runs of the OP models, not professional meteorologist that charge for their services.

I predict a dramatic, colossal bust this year. It will be December 2000 and March 2001 bottled up into one tear-jerking bust of biblical proportions.

It will make Snowquester look like a huge win. At least they got slop.

I am going down in flames then, this will be a snowy winter.

Aw heck, why not pile on.

Sure glad we had the 4" to 11" snowfall in NC Mountains back on Halloween Weekend.

In my core I said, this can't be good for a great winter can it as last time it happened with Hurricane Sandy Snow we all know what happened that winter.

Still, my philosophy is to get outside and enjoy EACH snow event in the High Country each winter and treat each one like it might be the only good one for the winter, cause at the end of the day, we never know.

Hoping for the best and that everyone on the board gets their fill and fair share of snow this year!

One thing for sure, the Good Man upstairs has the upper hand !

I still think there is time for winter to work in our favor if we give it some time.   Now if we are having this same discussion on January 20, things will be far different.

Some ensemble members are pointing to a PNA-. I suspect that the worst of the cold outbreak will likely start in the central CONUS and then expand eastward. If some of the more extreme AO forecasts verify, a long-lasting cold period could evolve for the eastern third-to-half of the CONUS, with a few short periods of milder weather.

Archived