joxey
December obs/disco/short range

Ian

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very warm.

TS_TS_PN_060_0000.gif

Slightly weaker high on the Ukie compared to other globals. That could make some of the difference. I think globals are good to look at in terms of high placement and strength at this juncture. They seem to hone in on the surface a bit better within 36 hours. The higher resolution models are best for overall temperature trends and analysis, but of course, we can't wait till the storm is on top of us to do that. I say look at past history. This reminds me of a few sneaky events of the past few years where globals under estimated CAD signatures on small overrunning events. I think this might still be N&W of I95 problem, but it wouldn't surprise me if say areas in AA county come in a little cooler than forecasted. I personally like the Winchester/Hagerstown area for this event since they stay cooler a lot longer on CAD events. Let's see how today's runs play out.

Slightly weaker high on the Ukie compared to other globals. That could make some of the difference. I think globals are good to look at in terms of high placement and strength at this juncture. They seem to hone in on the surface a bit better within 36 hours. The higher resolution models are best for overall temperature trends and analysis, but of course, we can't wait till the storm is on top of us to do that. I say look at past history. This reminds me of a few sneaky events of the past few years where globals under estimated CAD signatures on small overrunning events. I think this might still be N&W of I95 problem, but it wouldn't surprise me if say areas in AA county come in a little cooler than forecasted. I personally like the Winchester/Hagerstown area for this event since they stay cooler a lot longer on CAD events. Let's see how today's runs play out.

That's pretty likely to be the end result.....advisory mix event for FDK-HGR-MRB...and likely nothing to write home about for immediate DC metro...

Looks like this mornings GFS got warm on me out here...looks like plain rain to me on the 6z anyway...I haven't been paying much attention though so it's good the euro has some frozen

It's probably the classic area near and west of IAD with elevation, but the GFS this time of year struggles with the low levels. It was abysmal here in the last event.

It's probably the classic area near and west of IAD with elevation, but the GFS this time of year struggles with the low levels. It was abysmal here in the last event.

Thanks....I'm about 12 miles NW of IAD....pretty interesting start to the season if we get another event so early...

The start time of this looks decent, I still think tomorrow's temps might matter a little bit. NAM has highs tomorrow 60-63. Although after seeing 3/16/07 and how we almost had a major snow and/or ice storm out of that after being in the 70s 2 days earlier, after 1-2" of rain AND a bad sun angle. I feel it is very possible to get something decent. 12z NAM barely misses being snow verbatim. But does have some IP

This is what I wrote on my facebook page. 

A tricky forecast is shaping up for Tuesday morning. A strong high pressure system will be passing to our north as a very weak upper level impulse approaches us. Right now most models are predicting light precipitation will be spreading across the area Tuesday morning. Temperatures today may max out near 60 and Monday should be well in the 50s making it a tough call as to whether we'll get down to freezing Tuesday morning. It's another case with marginal temperatures but the event still could produce a period of early morning sleet, snow or rain before changing to rain later in the day. Precipitation amounts should be on the light side. The position of the high is a good one for cold air damming and damming situations sometimes trend colder as the we get closer to the event. Locations well north and west of the city have the highest chances of getting winter weather. It's a situation worth monitoring since the precipitation could occur during the rush. Right now it doesn't look like temperatures will be cold enough to seriously impact the rush in and around DC due to the marginal temperatures and light precipitation.

Archived