• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
2014/15 Winter Banter and General Observations

Baroclinic Zone

How? Because you may get 1" instead of 2.5"?

Dude..I'm not getting anything here. I'm not going to be fooled again into thinking it's going to snow here..only to watch things trend warmer each run from here on out and end up starting as an hour or 2 of sleet knocking my hair out then flipping to rain and warming into the 50's. I'm not doing that to myself again

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ryan's not on here that often anymore..and when he is..he's usually doing tv hits..I agree you out of anyone focuses on all areas..but when push comes to shove..you take the Mass pike all the way to weenieville. And again..I get it. It's just an observation..because we all do it to some degree.

Well if I indeed do that while living south of the pike and near the water, it may mean something..lol. That is a rough delineation many times. It's a general boundary used because it works usually either side of 10 miles or so.

What do you mean? We're in solid weak territory right now...and besides, it's not what it happening right now that matters for SSTA, it's more what it was a month or 2 months ago.

OBviously at the moment, we aren't acting like a Nino in North America, but it's still there and has been there.

not entirely convinced on your lag ideas.The atmosphere certainly was ninoish but not anymore.

Nothing scientific, but I doubt we see much of a -NAO this year...we've been locked into positive regime for a while and the fact that it has not even moved towards a flip is a problem.  Seems that these turd winters lock in early and don't change.   I'm think we torch 2nd half of January unless the EPO holds on...

Kind of like saying I think it will be warm unless it's cold....lol

Dude..I'm not getting anything here. I'm not going to be fooled again into thinking it's going to snow here..only to watch things trend warmer each run from here on out and end up starting as an hour or 2 of sleet knocking my hair out then flipping to rain and warming into the 50's. I'm not doing that to myself again

Well this is what happens when you get your hopes up for 3" of crap 5+ days out. It's why I told Snowgoose this is 100% not whiffing yesterday. It's a suckbag storm to begin with. CAD or no CAD..I'm not even sure it would have helped given the BL Sunday. 

triple Lutz with a quarter turn Nelson, 6.5-10

in a way yes, but I think it breaks pretty quick and we get firehosed with Pac air. So my money's on warm. At least I won't have to watch a snowpack get vaporized.

We knew this 3 days ago, yet I was told my assessment was incorrect. Most of the progs has the Pv consolidating after the cold snap...with the epo ridge breaking down we risk losing the the cold air in Canada. If that happens time to close up shop till next year.

We knew this 3 days ago, yet I was told my assessment was incorrect. Most of the progs has the Pv consolidating after the cold snap...with the epo ridge breaking down we risk losing the the cold air in Canada. If that happens time to close up shop till next year.

I said it a week ago and was attacked as being a weenie....guess if I had said cold and snow it would have been ok.

Your assessment is still incorrect...you were misinterpreting a model. That misinterpretation didn't all of the sudden change 3 days later unless the model run from that day was rerun without me noticing.

Well this is what happens when you get your hopes up for 3" of crap 5+ days out. It's why I told Snowgoose this is 100% not whiffing yesterday. It's a suckbag storm to begin with. CAD or no CAD..I'm not even sure it would have helped given the BL Sunday. 

It's not so much that..it's now losing the clipper also really hurts

Your assessment is still incorrect...you were misinterpreting a model. That misinterpretation didn't all of the sudden change 3 days later unless the model run from that day was rerun without me noticing.

Why then are posts like 07-08 and 93-94 allowed to be compared to this set-up? We have a Se ridge on roids and a storm cutting west...years like 07-08 are rare and not the rule...

Ginxy, you mean near term stuff? The typical ENSO forcing is dead, but it's coming back later this month. Also, the ENSO forcing started in Sept. Warmer waters, trades, TC's going to Hawaii...atmosphere was already well underway. We don't need the CPC to tell us if it's Nino...the atmosphere is capable enough to do so. 

Why then are posts like 07-08 and 93-94 allowed to be compared to this set-up? We have a Se ridge on roids and a storm cutting west...years like 07-08 are rare and not the rule...

Canada is not getting warm, and if anything...we may have more of a +PNA. As that transition occurs, you can get an inside runner which may happen after next week. If anything, a more west coast ridge may be better since you'll push the ridge further east off the SE Coast. That's way out there, but I see no reason for the December pattern that Brian is saying.

Ginxy, you mean near term stuff? The typical ENSO forcing is dead, but it's coming back later this month. Also, the ENSO forcing started in Sept. Warmer waters, trades, TC's going to Hawaii...atmosphere was already well underway. We don't need the CPC to tell us if it's Nino...the atmosphere is capable enough to do so.

yea near term. Atmosphere led not lagged

Archived