Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
2014/15 Winter Banter and General Observations

Baroclinic Zone

Mike i am really proud of that post!

Lay down the law, women i NEED elevation and 1k ain't gonna cut it.

Man if you could get a place just east of the "spine" near 1600-2100' it would be like living in Bartlett. I think some knowledgeable posters would even be surprised how snowy and different a location like that in Massachusetts is.

What towns are in the same school system that you can choose from. Hopefully you can get 5-10 miles west and 500'+ feet higher , lets work on this collectively :)

The Mohawk District includes:

Ashfield

Buckland

Charlemont

Colrain

Hawley

Heath

Plainfield

Shelburne

Rowe

All these towns led to a H.S. graduating class of 72 students last year.  It's the largest district in the state geographically covering over 250 square miles.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But, how are the schools there and quality of life? Other than a local Inn serving pot roast, anything to do there? It's a beautiful area, but I picture those spots to be remote. I guess there is always a 30 min drive to NOHO, but that gets old.

How long does it take you to get into Boston?  How long does it take you to drive to work?

At some point it would make sense to head into VT

Ain't gonna happen.

But, how are the schools there and quality of life? Other than a local Inn serving pot roast, anything to do there? It's a beautiful area, but I picture those spots to be remote. I guess there is always a 30 min drive to NOHO, but that gets old.

If I was going that remote, I'd just move into the extreme weenie spots of S VT...you probably add 30-40% to your snowfall.

I think the remoteness is what some LIKE, not for everyone but lets stay focused on the goal..."getting mike as close to 2k as we can". Sounds like he needs to remain in same school system and I'm sure a 25 min drive once every 7-10 days to grocery shop is a worth while trade off. Any small items could be got at a town's "general convenience store". I don't think mike really cares as much about "stuff to do".

I am definitively not there yet but in a decade or two i could see myself not caring if i was in a more remote location and well removed from large towns and esp cities.

The Mohawk District includes:

Ashfield

Buckland

Charlemont

Colrain

Hawley

Heath

Plainfield

Shelburne

Rowe

All these towns led to a H.S. graduating class of 72 students last year. It's the largest district in the state geographically covering over 250 square miles.

Rowe mass could be weenie heaven. Gotta be some decent lots 1700' or so , it borders VT and just east of Florida,Ma.

How long does it take you to get into Boston? How long does it take you to drive to work?

Ain't gonna happen.

I can see Boston from my house. It takes maybe 15 min. Work is farther. Just over 40. But, I chose this area and not north of Boston for a variety of reasons. One being I like the ocean despite it being a love/hate relationship sometimes, and family which has helped me out a ton. Plenty to do here and school nearby is best in the town.

Scott , you have any ideas . Weenie dream locations in mind for that time? Like somewhere near Winnie or something.

I admit I am biased to NH for nostalgic reasons. I would love to have a place on the east slopes of the whites. There are some places in Jackson heading towards Pinkham notch on rt 16 over 1k.

I think the remoteness is what some LIKE, not for everyone but lets stay focused on the goal..."getting mike as close to 2k as we can". Sounds like he needs to remain in same school system and I'm sure a 25 min drive once every 7-10 days to grocery shop is a worth while trade off. Any small items could be got at a town's "general convenience store". I don't think mike really cares as much about "stuff to do".

I am definitively not there yet but in a decade or two i could see myself not caring if i was in a more remote location and well removed from large towns and esp cities.

Yep, give me about 15-20 years and I'll prob be much more willing to move remote...I'll hopefully have plenty of money saved up by then.

My weenie spot is somewhere in the CAD region of W ME and NE NH...that Pinkham Notch to SR to Norway, ME triangle....some of those towns are really nice and I like the more rustic nature of things there.

If I got up enough courage, maybe Rangeley or Eustis.

I admit I am biased to NH for nostalgic reasons. I would love to have a place on the east slopes of the whites. There are some places in Jackson heading towards Pinkham notch on rt 16 over 1k.

It seems there are some that high, and they look cool as you can see them way up from the valley floor in jackson. Always wondered how that trek up their private streets would be in winter. All in all thou i actually found that area to have a surprising lack of many higher elevation options, compared to most anywhere else outside of SNE. (I.E S.VT C.VT S.NH etc)

There are some weenie spots just north of pinkam notch in Jefferson NH area and NE into W maine, if i were to move that far i would def need a bit more elevation, prolly 1500'+. Thou i def dont have the courage to move too deep into the northern maine woods.

some don't get it

Yep, give me about 15-20 years and I'll prob be much more willing to move remote...I'll hopefully have plenty of money saved up by then.

My weenie spot is somewhere in the CAD region of W ME and NE NH...that Pinkham Notch to SR to Norway, ME triangle....some of those towns are really nice and I like the more rustic nature of things there.

That would be quite a change from Natick to Rangeley.....a bit too remote for me....even Natick to Westminster for was a bit of a shock for me.  They pretty much have everything I need in this area but the girlfriend whines once in a while "We're in the middle of nowhere"....."it's so far to the nearest Express or Banana Republic"..... :blahblah:

It seems there are some that high, and they look cool as you can see them way up from the valley floor in jackson. Always wondered how that trek up their private streets would be in winter. All in all thou i actually found that area to have a surprising lack of many higher elevation options, compared to most anywhere else outside of SNE.

There are some weenie spots just north of pinkam notch in Jefferson NH area and NE into W maine, if i were to move that far i would def need a bit more elevation, prolly 1500'+. Thou i def dont have the courage to move too deep into the northern maine woods.

I'm always amazed at how well even the lakes

Region does near 600' lol. At that point, 600' or 1600' doesn't do that much per SE except to really extend snow pack longevity. I would be perfectly fine at 1k. Any place tucked into the side of a ridge or mtn is money. Those places Will mentioned are nice too, just a matter of wanting what fits your style.

I feel the need for something rustic too. My style and life had changed a lot. I loved Boston when I was single, but things have changed a bit lol. I find myself liking more rural spots as I get older. I enjoy what I have near me now, but that will change I'm sure. Eventually I would like to be in NNE when my kid(s) are out of school.

That would be quite a change from Natick to Rangeley.....a bit too remote for me....even Natick to Westminster for was a bit of a shock for me.  They pretty much have everything I need in this area but the girlfriend whines once in a while "We're in the middle of nowhere"....."it's so far to the nearest Express or Banana Republic"..... :blahblah:

It doesn't bother me. I've always liked the remote areas and have visited them quite a bit...but I'm at the point in my life where I need to be relatively close to Boston for cash flow. Those "peak earning" years. So any idea of getting a place up there will have to wait.  

That would be quite a change from Natick to Rangeley.....a bit too remote for me....even Natick to Westminster for was a bit of a shock for me. They pretty much have everything I need in this area but the girlfriend whines once in a while "We're in the middle of nowhere"....."it's so far to the nearest Express or Banana Republic"..... :blahblah:

UPS is our friend

I can see Boston from my house. It takes maybe 15 min. Work is farther. Just over 40. But, I chose this area and not north of Boston for a variety of reasons. One being I like the ocean despite it being a love/hate relationship sometimes, and family which has helped me out a ton. Plenty to do here and school nearby is best in the town.

It certainly takes longer than 15 minutes around the morning commute.....and hitting Boston City limits doesn't count! We're talking downtown where people work

The idea of living in a rural area for me is better than the actual experience I had. The areas are beautiful, the snow is great, but I like food too much to live in that kind of setup. I did spend 4 years in Plymouth and I had done everything in the first year.

Still living at home for now, but I can be downtown in 10 minutes on a clear day, yet be surrounded by conservation. Hopefully I'll be in a similar setup during my prime earning years!

"Amen" to that.

Rowe mass could be weenie heaven. Gotta be some decent lots 1700' or so , it borders VT and just east of Florida,Ma.

We had looked at a couple of spots there when we first moved down from Maine--nice area, and Pelham Lake is a great spot.  Also, virtually no taxes.

What's wrong with VT? :angry:

My wife's commute.  I actually drove past a house for sale in Colrain that was literally on the Halifax line--the property might have crossed into it for all I know.  But I don't think we'd be gaining what we'd look for in the move (though it would give me 1764').

Although Mike, isn't your daughter almost in college?

I'll probably reevaluate things when I get older and Bryce and any other kids are older.

I have two in college--one graduates from Towson in May, my second is a sophomore at Virginia Tech.  My third daughter's in 4th grade.  I'll be an old man when she graduates from college.

Before my youngest daughter was born, we had looked at a place in Eustis.  That area cleans up.  I'd prefer Rangeley, though for the lakes.

Archived